Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) mortgage trouble - 6 months employement history???

Hello, my partner and I are currently going through the mortgage process. She has been at university studying for 4 years and has now graduated and is a Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) we got told that we would be accepted for a mortgage and that our incomes were fine etc. However we've received an email saying that she needs to provide 6 months of continuous employment history? How could she possibly have this when they know she's been studying at university for the past 4 years and has only just qualified as a teacher? Is there a way around this? Surely they shouldn't accept NQT's if they expect that? Thanks for the help

Comments

• htaylor16
    htaylor16 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Did she work while studying? Could you use that. Otherwise it might be that you have to wait until she's worked as an NQT for six months until you can apply.
  • katebl
    katebl Posts: 637 Forumite
    Did you go through a broker and did they ask for payslips or anything, I'm pretty sure I've been asked for length of employment with any (tentative) applications I've made. Even if you went directly surely they would have asked the question when you applied?
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    SonicKris wrote: »
    How could she possibly have this when they know she's been studying at university for the past 4 years and has only just qualified as a teacher?

She can't
    Is there a way around this?

Not with the Lender you have selected here.
    Surely they shouldn't accept NQT's if they expect that?

It appears they don't.

There is either some poor communication here, or uninformed choice from you, or a mistake by a Broker.

Most likely you simply need a different lender.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Hi, I'm and NQT, did you manage to get a mortgage? Are you in Scotland? Thanks!
  • YHM
    YHM Posts: 650 Forumite
    Emma

I am confident a broker could secure you a mortgage, irrespective of your base country :)
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
  • liviboy
    liviboy Posts: 544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Emma0912 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm and NQT, did you manage to get a mortgage? Are you in Scotland? Thanks!

Both Bank of Scotland and Nationwide offered mortgages to probationers (what NQTs are called in Scotland) in my school shortly after starting their induction year.

One went through an excellent (their opinion) broker (Bank of Scotland), the other went direct with Nationwide though both she and her partner had banked with NW since they were children.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    There will be over a half of a million people needed in teaching every year. Many lenders will value teachers as they have (like the emergency services and undertakers) a certain inevitable guaranteed future in the employment market.
    If you haven;t contacted a broker, (which you probably should) have you contacted the Teachers Building Society?
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure