PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How much for a Sewing Machine Service

Hello all

I was lucky enough to get a sewing machine off a very kind lady via Freecycle.

It isn't a new model, but it is absolutely gorgeous, it is a Husqvarna Viking in a beautiful teal green finish.

I am a complete novice and I have been advised to get it serviced, does anyone have an idea how much I should expect to pay for this, also how often I should get it done again in the future.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Burp_2
    Burp_2 Posts: 276 Forumite
    I had mine serviced by a guy who lives near me (Warwickshire)

It had a fault and needed a service... he fixed the fault and serviced it (and its now guaranteed for a year with him) and it cost £30... works like a dream now so well worth the money :)

He was recommended to me by my lecturer as he services all the machines at college :)

He also works as a trader on E-bay selling bits for sewing machines, here's his link just in case http://stores.ebay.co.uk/M-R-TAYLOR-SEWING-MACHINES?_rdc=1

Burp x
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    locally to me my service for my jones cost £38. plus it needed a couple of parts costing £10. The service also inculded the sewing machin being collected from my house and delivered back again.
  • Nneave
    Nneave Posts: 45 Forumite
    My last service cost £35. If you have a sewing shop near you they should be able to recommend someone. I know it sounds a lot but it will last you for at least a year and cuts down on the wear and tear. Make sure you oil it regularly.
    Depression is well Depressing. So I go shopping. Then I realise how much debt I'm in. Then my depression hits low and so I go shopping...
  • msgnomey
    msgnomey Posts: 1,613 Forumite
    I took mine in to a shop in town and they serviced it for £35

It needed a service because when I said it was squeaking a bit my knob of an ex lifted the lid and sprayed WD40 inside from end to end EEEEPPPPPPP! mind you the service fixed it LOL
    Go hopefully into each new day, enjoy something from every day no matter how small, you never know when it will be your last
  • Try it out. If it sews OK I wouldn't bother. I've had sewing machines for forty years and have yet to need a professional service on any of them. The instruction manual tells you how to clean the fluff out - that's normally all that's required. If it starts not to sew properly then that's the time to take it for servicing.
    If we are supposed to be thin, why does chocolate exist?
  • Thank you all for your replies.

Agapanthus - I am a newbie to sewing, so I wouldn't know if it sews ok, or if its my bad techinique ;)

I have just dropped it in at the local sewing shop; the shop assistant checked it was basically working as due to its age, if there was anything seriously wrong with it, it would be impossible to get parts , anyway it all looks ok so far.

A service is going to cost me £59!! which I think is quite steep, but I did get it for free, so hopefully once it has been serviced this time, it will last me a good few years.

I cant wait to get going! :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport