DWP Overpayment

Comments

• Gill247
    Gill247 Posts: 155 Forumite
    I worked for DWP Debt Management for 10 years. You should take this seriously and deal with it now becuase;

a) Benefit debt is not time barred.
    b) Once the overpayment is calculated and in the system it will not be forgotton about. If you wife is on benefits then a % of these will be deducted to pay towards the overpayment. If you wife is working then the overpayment will be passed to another department that will request details of your wifes income and expenditure and if a payment plan is not reached then it is highly likely they will arrest a % of wages. This is extremely common for DWP. They will puruse debt until it is recovered. When someone dies in the UK with any outstanding overpayments these are recovered from the estate and take priority over any other claim. Millions of pounds are recovered each year through Recovery from Estates. As someone else has commented, it is best to sort this out now as it will not go away.
    c) DWP would not have written to your wife if they did not have evidence of this overpayment. Records are held back to 1980. You can request copies of the calculation and any other evidence, i.e., copies of your wifes signature on claim forms.
    d) overpayments can occur and be liable for repayment even if your wife did nothing wrong.

DWP has an extremely high success rate in recovering overpayments. Although many people appeal the overpayment decision only a tiny percentage have the decision overturned.
    Lucky wins - Rituals Beauty Advent Calendar; Starbucks Coffee & £20 Gift Card; Amazing Hen Weekend at Dunblane Hydro; Heat Magazine Book Bundle; Le Crueset Goodies :j

Wishing everyone some magic fairy pixie dust for luck!
  • Marisco
    Marisco Posts: 42,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi Gill, Just as an aside, why can the DWP claim back money if it is their fault? That is very unfair if someone has done everything by the book, i.e informed them of change of circumstance etc.
  • SteveMetal
    SteveMetal Posts: 43 Forumite
    Thanks for your input Gill, regarding the debts not being time barred, I've seen this listed on a few different debt sites:

Benefit Overpayments & Social Fund Loans

The Department of Work & Pensions (DWP) has 6 years to take action through the courts to recover benefit overpayments and social fund loans. This time starts running from the date of the final decision made on the overpayment and from when the social fund loan was due to be paid. But the DWP are still allowed to make deductions from your benefit for a debt over 6 years old as they don’t need to go to court to do this. This applies to overpayments of benefits such as income support, job seekers allowance, pension credit, housing benefit, council tax benefit and paying back social fund loans.

So it looks like the Statue Barred does apply as they cannot take her to court over this, but they can get the money off her in the future through any benefits she may possibly claim.

Rather than go down the Statue Barred route I shall be sending a letter off, requesting information on the exact dates of this debt and to provide detailed information on how this debt came about, including proof of any overpayments which were received.

She probably will end up arranging a payment plan with them as like you and other people have said, she will sooner or later end up paying for it.
  • Gill247
    Marisco wrote: »
    Hi Gill, Just as an aside, why can the DWP claim back money if it is their fault? That is very unfair if someone has done everything by the book, i.e informed them of change of circumstance etc.

This is becuase DWP have different powers than say a credit card company or debt recovery agency. Benefits are paid from public money therefore DWP have a responsibility to ask for this money back even if the claimant has been honest and provided all information on time. The most common overpayment is caused whem a claimant notifies DWP of a change in circumstances but it is too late to stop that weeks payment, so then there would be an overpayment of 6 days etc.
    Lucky wins - Rituals Beauty Advent Calendar; Starbucks Coffee & £20 Gift Card; Amazing Hen Weekend at Dunblane Hydro; Heat Magazine Book Bundle; Le Crueset Goodies :j

• Gill247
    SteveMetal wrote: »
    Thanks for your input Gill, regarding the debts not being time barred, I've seen this listed on a few different debt sites:

Benefit Overpayments & Social Fund Loans

The Department of Work & Pensions (DWP) has 6 years to take action through the courts to recover benefit overpayments and social fund loans. This time starts running from the date of the final decision made on the overpayment and from when the social fund loan was due to be paid. But the DWP are still allowed to make deductions from your benefit for a debt over 6 years old as they don’t need to go to court to do this. This applies to overpayments of benefits such as income support, job seekers allowance, pension credit, housing benefit, council tax benefit and paying back social fund loans.

So it looks like the Statue Barred does apply as they cannot take her to court over this, but they can get the money off her in the future through any benefits she may possibly claim.

Rather than go down the Statue Barred route I shall be sending a letter off, requesting information on the exact dates of this debt and to provide detailed information on how this debt came about, including proof of any overpayments which were received.

She probably will end up arranging a payment plan with them as like you and other people have said, she will sooner or later end up paying for it.

Hi Steve,

The above is correct however please note that where it states 'The Department of Work & Pensions (DWP) has 6 years to take action through the courts to recover benefit overpayments and social fund loans. This time starts running from the date of the final decision made on the overpayment' this means that the 6 years starts from when your wife was notified of the overpayment, i.e., as this was 'when the final decision was made on the overpayment'.

I can understand that if this overpayment dates back to 2002 it can seem ridiculous that they would only be contacting your wife now, however Debt Management have such a backlog that it can sometimes take this long to calculate and make a decision to recover.

I think you are doing the right thing in writing back to them to ask for details of the overpayment and evidence of this.

DWP are very good in agreeing payment terms. They would rather have this being paid off at £10 per month than taking it to court for earing arresstment or deducting from benefits. They will probably ask for a copy of income and expenditure to come to an agreed amount.

Good luck!

• SteveMetal
    edited 14 July 2010 at 5:44PM
    Gill247 wrote: »
    DWP are very good in agreeing payment terms. They would rather have this being paid off at £10 per month than taking it to court for earing arresstment or deducting from benefits. They will probably ask for a copy of income and expenditure to come to an agreed amount.

Good luck!

Thanks Gill,

I would rather not provide them with copies of income and expenditure, we would probably offer them something like £50 per month, once we've received proof of this overpayment, surely they will accept that.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,164 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Unlikely they will accept an offer of payment without proof of income/exp.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • SteveMetal
    beanielou wrote: »
    Unlikely they will accept an offer of payment without proof of income/exp.

Surely they are not going to turn down an offer of payment if I refuse to give them details of income etc. I'm concerned that if I give them these details they will ask for a ridculous amount of money per month.

Anyway, before we even contact them about sorting out a payment plan I will be writing to them wanting to see detailed proof of this overpayment.
  • Hi folks
    I am also in a similar situation. I recently received a letter from DWP stating that I owed them around £370. When I asked 'what for' ? they said it was for an incorrect payment of incapacity benefit dating from 1997 !!

Re. them being able to deduct from benefits does this apply to Inacapacity Benefit as this is not listed under the benefits they can deduct from?
  • crabyducky
    crabyducky Posts: 383 Forumite
    aleaper wrote: »
    Hi folks
    I am also in a similar situation. I recently received a letter from DWP stating that I owed them around £370. When I asked 'what for' ? they said it was for an incorrect payment of incapacity benefit dating from 1997 !!

Re. them being able to deduct from benefits does this apply to Inacapacity Benefit as this is not listed under the benefits they can deduct from?

Not quite sure if they can take it but from what i believe you can kiss your benefit goodbye.

From past experience with ppl i know they will pretty much hold it against you if you dont repay and make it eanrly impossible to vlaim benefits in the past. When you get a job they will then likely take it from your wages.

However i may be wrong.
    MoneySpendingExpert
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family