DWP Overpayment

My wife has received a letter from DWP Debt management about an overpayment for Carer's Allowance which she owes which dates back to January - March 2002.

The letter is asking her to pay back the money immediately and giving her the option to contact them to discuss repayment terms. The letter ends in:
What happens next
If we do not hear from you by 03/08/2010 we will consider taking further action to recover this money from you, therefore please do not ignore this letter.

Now I am aware that they cannot take court action to recover this money due to the debt being over 6 years old, and the only way they can get the money is by deducting it from benefits (which she currently does not receive).

I am guessing that going by the wording in the last paragraph they are aware of the fact that they cannot enforce this debt and are hoping she will just pay up.

She is not even convinced that she owe's this money as she thought she had finished claming this benefit back in October 2001, but she is not certain on this.

Are there any template letters which I post off to them requesting information of the dates and payments for which she has supposedly received these overpayments, and also requesting proof that she owes this debt. And due to the age of it would it be worth sending a letter stating the fact that it is over 6 years old and has become unenforceable in law. Again, are there any template letters for this?

I've seen the Statue Barred template letters but i'm guessing that the wording on this letter would not be suitable for the DWP.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Try www.nationaldebtline.co.uk for template letters.

You should send a letter, recorded delivery, saying that your wife does not acknowledge the debt and would like to proof of how they have worked out the debt. As you have correctly said if she does owe this money, although they cannot enforce it throgh the courts if it is statued barred, they can take it out of her benefits.
  • SteveMetal
    SteveMetal Posts: 43 Forumite
    Thanks for the link, that is the standard Statue Barred letter, is it best just to send that letter off or is it worth me asking them to prove she owes this money by providing copies of the supposed overpayments? I'm guessing and hoping that they would no longer have these documents.
  • SteveMetal
    Also does the Statue Barred letter apply to the DWP, as they are a bit different to the usual Law firms. I know the 6 year rule still applies, but is it still classed as Statue Barred?
  • alwaysonthego_2
    alwaysonthego_2 Posts: 8,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Statued Barred basically means that they cannot take you to court to pursue it, so yes providing that she has not been in contact with them within the 8 years then it will be SB.

I am going to move this thread to DFW to see if you get any more response.
  • Even though the over payment is not recoverable through the courts, you are correct in the fact is is, and will be recoverable from any benefit.
    It may be the case, that your wife is not currently in receipt of benefit, but later in life, it could be deducted from any pension entitlement, which is a vulnerable time to be having a debt recovered.

Try and get clarification of how the overpayment came about, and to make a payment arrangement if the money is owed.

Regards
    Munchie
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,129 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Actually DWP have quite far reaching powers to recover money owed to them.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • SteveMetal
    edited 13 July 2010 at 2:19PM
    I shall send a letter off, not acknowledging the debt, requesting information on the exact dates of this debt and to provide detailed information on how this debt came about, including proof of any overpayments which were received.

Not sure if they will be able to find this information due to the age of it, but maybe that's the best route to take for now.

And if they can not provide this information then surely they cannot chase a debt which they have not proof of.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    DWP debts don't become statute barred to the best of my knowledge. Debt to the government is a whole different kettle of fish to commercial debt.

But all is not lost.

How was the debt incurred? If your wife was at fault, ie didn't tell them of a change in circumstances, then it will need to be repaid.

If the DWP was at fault, ie they were given all the information they needed at the right time etc, then all they can do is ask for it back.

You probably need someone like CAB or DIAL to help fight it though, it's a really tough area to get results from.

Sorry it's not better news.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • crabyducky
    crabyducky Posts: 383 Forumite
    I was under the impression that DWP could take overpayments out of your wage packet if you wernt on benefits.

My brother in law had an overpayment from them which he neve paid back due to the time scale and the fact he didn believe he was overpayed, then when he went to claim benefits after being made disabled he found he was not able to claim as it was on his file as benefit fraud.
    MoneySpendingExpert
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport