Burglar Alarm Installation Prices

Comments

• F1001
    F1001 Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    evoke wrote: »
    Whole house (3-bed semi) alarm system was £1,000.

This includes:

1. PIR sensors for kitchen, lounge/diner, landing, front door, summerhouse (wireless), garage (special PIR to allow for slight boiler heat).

2. All wiring and commissioning.

3. Very good bell box front and rear with a good, bright blue strobe that's clearly visible at night to deter intruders (when the alarm is armed).

4. A control panel in the hallway.

Maintenance is £85 per year and they really do a very thorough job. They are on site for around an hour and check the condition of the backup batteries, control panel diagnostics and a complete walk test and alarm/strobe test.

Very happy with the system and the company. The maintenance contract includes a reduced call-out charge and 24/7 emergency cover. I've had to have a sensor lowered recently and the job was done with minimum fuss and the system thoroughly retested.

Hi - what system did you use and where are you based - could you recommend the firm you used?
  • I have installed a GE Concord Home Alarm system that I bought from canadian security professionals. It is a combination of both a burglar alarm as well as a fire detector. It coomplies with the SIA CP-01 false alarm standards.It is simple to use. It actually comes with a six hardwired zone inputs, of which one of them can be set up as a 2-wire smoke detector loop that can handle up to 10 detectors. It has a built-in radio receiver with 16 wireless zones allowing remote keychain touchpads and wireless panics. It has 2 onboard programmable outputs.Its panel auxiliary power provides 750 mA which is continuous. It even has a 50 event history buffer and a key switch that uses a hardwire/wireless zone.
  • cts_casemod
    cts_casemod Posts: 272 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Lets say I buy and install my own alarm system (I already have cameras). Can I pay an external company to monitor this should the alarm go on?

Also, how does one safely keep the Video recorder for the cameras? Someone broke into my next door neighbor a while ago (Long story they took his car).

They broke into his property to grab the keys and take the DVR (Recorder) so that there was no video evidence.
  • Why burglar alarm is important for home security?

• Novice_40
    Novice_40 Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    edited 12 December 2016 at 10:19PM
    I have googled the yale system from screwfix and love the reviews, The problem is getting someone to fit it. I don't suppose you are anywhere near the midlands are you?

sorry - the above post was directed at Mr Generous
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    according to EU EN 50131.
    You mean BS EN 50131. (The EN part means that it is a Euro Norm.)
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • Another person posted "I've been searching around trying to find a price guide before getting companies round to quote but it seems that burglar alarms are one of those clouded, closed shop products where companies don't like to give an idea until they !!!"ess the property/ meet you to work out how much they can screw out of you"

I have been installing alarms for 12 years and own the company. The alarm company needs to attend your premises to carry out a risk assessment survey according to EU EN 50131. It' not to see how much they can screw you for. Its just them doing there job properly. They have to assess your needs and recommend a grade. Every house is different and it impossible to know over the phone what your house needs and give you a price.

Sadley many people look at the price rather than its specification and its grade. Just buying the cheapest system can be a mistake. Some are very cheap because they are the lowest grade and may have missing features. It will work without them but some of these missing features can lower the level of difficulty it will pose to a burglar trying to disable it. Look at the grade and specifications not the price.

Hi
    I'm looking to set up my own company just need some advice from an expert like yourself just wondering can you give me some be much appreciated if you could thank you
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 December 2016 at 11:50AM
    Arlo.

£300 or so for 3 wireless cameras which I fitted myself to the window sills and frames on the upper floor of the house to cover strategic areas outside, along with a base unit which connects to home broadband router with ethernet cable.

Cameras are motion-activated, so remain dormant until activity in range, or switched on by owner. If triggered by motion, base unit sends alert to tablet or phone, allowing owner to watch activity.

Better to watch them outside and be able to call police whilst they're outside, rather than being alerted to someone inside the house, when the deed has been done.

And no cabling, other than ethernet between base unit and router!
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,734 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I bought a Visonic Powermax Complete, with wireless external siren, 6 pet friendly wireless PIR's and 3 x door switches for about £380 I think from GAP Security online. A close friend is works weekends with an alarm installer so he fitted and set it up for me for £150. I love it, and would definatley recommend this alarm to anyone. i'm in the South East
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,734 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    googler wrote: »
    Arlo.

£300 or so for 3 wireless cameras which I fitted myself to the window sills and frames on the upper floor of the house to cover strategic areas outside, along with a base unit which connects to home broadband router with ethernet cable.

Cameras are motion-activated, so remain dormant until activity in range, or switched on by owner. If triggered by motion, base unit sends alert to tablet or phone, allowing owner to watch activity.

Better to watch them outside and be able to call police whilst they're outside, rather than being alerted to someone inside the house, when the deed has been done.

And no cabling, other than ethernet between base unit and router!

Hi googler
    how do you find the Arlo range? Was thinking of 2 or 3 cameras inside on the window sills pointing out covering our driveway to look after the cars, how good is the video at night please, through a window?
    They look very discreet and easy to set up which is why I'm looking at them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport