Auris clutch problem

Comments

• arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Burning off a clutch isn't definitive proof the clutch has been abused of wear and tear. There are scenarios where faulty components can cause friction plate to burn out!
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    arcon5 wrote: »
    Burning off a clutch isn't definitive proof the clutch has been abused of wear and tear. There are scenarios where faulty components can cause friction plate to burn out!
    Ever heard of William of Ockham?
  • Thank you to everyone who has posted.
    Have at last, through helpful staff member, arranged for car to be transferred to Toyotoa Service Centre today. ( That's what happens when you cannot make /receive voice telephone calls)
    Adrian C I was aware stamps on books do not say much about the service history really ( especially when they have a date of 27/7/30!). I have asked to see the so called 20,000 mile service report carried out by Dealer who sold car to me. Being 'put off' as saying do not have access to Report, and depending on what happens with Toyota workshop, will consider challenging why they do not have records of their own Services when car was in their ownership.
    Benten69, I acknowledge that it is highly probable that previous owner damaged clutch but what is point of A) Services on a new car that do not identify this ? and B) Manufacturer's Warranty's that is supposed to be for 5 years (and has 3 on Service and Warranty Book) and yet does not reflect such Services? ( I know I know I am being naive to think dealers are honest). How do I go about getting a ' good will gesture'? Car not in Sellers Workshop. Am I likely another Centre will be better? worse?
    Arcon 5 you give me hope. Can you expand my knowledge of how to deal with this possibility. Is it linked to oil over clutch?
    Adrian c. No I have never heard of William of Ockham. Who is he? history figure/ - another poster?
  • AdrianC
    Forumite
    Adrian C I was aware stamps on books do not say much about the service history really ( especially when they have a date of 27/7/30!). I have asked to see the so called 20,000 mile service report carried out by Dealer who sold car to me. Being 'put off' as saying do not have access to Report, and depending on what happens with Toyota workshop, will consider challenging why they do not have records of their own Services when car was in their ownership.

You miss my point. The service history will tell you nothing about how the previous owner drove the car. THAT is what may have caused the rapid wear on the clutch.
    Adrian c. No I have never heard of William of Ockham. Who is he? history figure/ - another poster?

That was a reply to arcon's point.
  • arcon5
    Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Ever heard of William of Ockham?

Go on then, elaborate...
    I suspect it's an insult of some sort and your out trolling but do prove me wrong..
  • AdrianC
    Forumite
    Go on then, elaborate...
    I suspect it's an insult of some sort and your out trolling but do prove me wrong..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Go on then, elaborate...

Well it's shown you're not the sharpest tool in the box.
  • arcon5
    Forumite
    bigadaj wrote: »
    Well it's shown you're not the sharpest tool in the box.

Obviously not, because I've never heard of this philosopher.

Interestingly enough though I'm betting half you lot giving advice on cars have barely even touched a spanner, let alone had the pleasure to be diagnosing faults.

But the real question is when did this forum become so abusive and patronising?

My point of course was very valid. A burnt out clutch doesn't automatically mean op is at fault in any way and doesn't necessarily prove wear and tear. Anybody that's actually worked in this industry would have seen this time and time again. And worked being the key word not translating to once read a text book or an article on Wikipedia title how clutches work.

You lot can abuse me all you like but it says a lot more about you than it does me. +1 well done chaps.
  • arcon5 wrote: »
    Obviously not, because I've never heard of this philosopher.

Interestingly enough though I'm betting half you lot giving advice on cars have barely even touched a spanner, let alone had the pleasure to be diagnosing faults.

But the real question is when did this forum become so abusive and patronising?

My point of course was very valid. A burnt out clutch doesn't automatically mean op is at fault in any way and doesn't necessarily prove wear and tear. Anybody that's actually worked in this industry would have seen this time and time again. And worked being the key word not translating to once read a text book or an article on Wikipedia title how clutches work.

You lot can abuse me all you like but it says a lot more about you than it does me. +1 well done chaps.

Pot, kettle, black?

Maybe you'd care to review some of your posting history on this board?
  • AdrianC
    Forumite
    My point of course was very valid. A burnt out clutch doesn't automatically mean op is at fault in any way and doesn't necessarily prove wear and tear. Anybody that's actually worked in this industry would have seen this time and time again.

Slow down there... Out of 100 burnt-out 20k-old clutches - especially in cars like near-new lowish-mileage Toyotas - roughly how many are down to component failures, and roughly how many are down to driver wuckfittery?

THAT is the point I'm making, and which you are utterly failing to address.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure