Healthy Christmas Food Ideas Please!!

Firstly i'm not very good at searching, so please don't shout at me if something similar is already up.

Ok, well as i'm sure you are all aware Christmas is generally a time for feasting, then we all feel guilty (and fat!!) in January. My family and i have decided not to over-indulge this year, but we still want it to feel likes it's Christmas.

We will be having the usual turkey dinner, Christmas pud and cheese and biscuits, but besides that we want to do away with cake and other snacks.

So...my question is, does anyone know of any yummy, but healthy, Christmas snack recipes, that could replace the mountains of sausage rolls, mince pies, etc, etc.

Surely there must be some nice cranberry based recipes that would feel festive!!

Any ideas appreciated - may you all have a Merry Christmas, without having a santa claus belly in January :rotfl:

Comments

• Smashing
    Smashing Posts: 1,799 Forumite
    You could replace some biscuits/crisps with cruties and dips, satsuma's are always popular, grapes and pears are good with cheese, dried figs.
    Make your own compote by stewing various fruits/berries, add some cinnamon and serve with plain yogurt, cranberry preserves, fuit/malt loaves.
    Stewed apples with cinnamon and raisins also make a good snack.
  • earthmother
    earthmother Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Healthy and Christmas in the same sentence ... hmm ... :think: ... no, sorry, doesn't quite work :p

But seriously, the best I can think of is to make your own wherever possible rather than buying, that way you can use wholemeal flour for cakes and pastries, veggie suet in the mincemeat (less fat) etc.

I would be interested in seeing what others can think of - we could really do with doing the same this year

:)
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
  • Justie
    Justie Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    if you search the forum for cake recipes there was one that had tea in it that was low fat.

My mum's diabetic so we tend to have healthy snacks around and she always has bowls of mixed seeds and nuts - sounds like something you'd feed your hamster I know but if you toast them in a dry frying pan until they're a golden brown then they taste lovely - or add in some chili flavouring or cajun seasoning if you want to add in some spice...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure