Cost of Christmas

Comments

• *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    belfastgal wrote:
    god just voted at the top of the page ....what a shock 35% only spend £50 to £100 wow.......if you have teenagers - what on earth could you get for that ?they all want mobiles , laptops, ps2/3 ?????????????????????????????

..I'm glad mine are still young.....my eldest (7) hasn't even asked for anything. I had to force him to decide what his 'big' present was going to be so I can buy it in the next couple of weeks.
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I presume you mean per child?

I am in the £100ish mark, I have a 16 month old and a 6 year old, I spend less on the baby, he doesnt have a clue, and I am saving what I will be forking out later when he wants all the new things that are out, so I would say about £60-70 for bubba, but about £100 for eldest, I will spend about £50 on his main, and then get a few little ones so he has loads to open.
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • firespire
    firespire Posts: 795 Forumite
    What is 'other'?
    Surely the lowest possible is £0 and the highest is £500+
    The only thing I can think of for 'other' is spending a negative amount, ie. billing the child for Christmas?
  • viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    belfastgal wrote:
    god just voted at the top of the page ....what a shock 35% only spend £50 to £100 wow.......if you have teenagers - what on earth could you get for that ?they all want mobiles , laptops, ps2/3 ?????????????????????????????

I have two teenagers and what they want and what they get are two different things!

DD got a laptop for her 18th, annd DS got a PSP for his birthday but they were both one off's and the only gifts they got for those birthday's. At Christmas I generally budget between £50 ~ £100 per child. I ask them to write Christmas lists which are then e-mailed around the family so people can choose what they want to buy and how much they want to spend. That way, the children get what they want off the list and people get to spend what they can afford without feeling awkward. Plus, teenagers are so hard to buy for a list negates the endless calls asking what the children want for Christmas (to which I usually answer, I have no idea! :o )

We certainly won't be buying DS a PS3 in March, if the prices that have been bandied around are correct. If he wants one, he can get a job and save for one.
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    My two step daughters get handed some cash. They then enjoy themselves in the sales. I do pick up some other bits and peices throughout the year, but those are usually freebies or other special deals.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • winnie81
    winnie81 Posts: 887 Forumite
    I have DD 5, DS 4 and we'll spend about £150 on each of them and DD whos only gonna be 6mths will have about £80ish spent but that will include clothes. OH and I will probably have about £100 each for gifts for ourselves. I suppose we'll spend £50-£75 on pressies for others as we don't buy for adults anymore just youngsters.

We don't go over board on special food shopping or anything and I really enjoy gift giving at christmas and I don't feel the need to justify what I spend as we don't smoke, drink, have holidays or eat out etc so we make sure christmas is really enjoyed.

Claire x
    Wife to a great husband and mum to 4 fantastic kids 9,8,4,3 they drive me mad but I would do anything and give everything for my family :grinheart
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I spend about £50 to £100 on each child and I have 2 children.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • Scarlett1
    Scarlett1 Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    meerustar wrote:
    I've voted £101 - £200 which includes one main pressie and lots of little bits I pick up throughout the year.
    same here, I start buying mine in the august sales so get more for my money :T
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I spend £50 tops on my 5 years old, but then I have my parents, uncle, aunt, 2 siblings, PLUS OH's parents, 2 siblings (and their OH's), 2 grandads, 2 aunts who buy DD gifts. She mainly wants things like books, a hair bobbles etc so I tend to spend £10ish on stocking fillers and then the rest goes on a big pressie and then a couple of smaller ones.
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • gingin_2
    gingin_2 Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    I am in the less than £100 range

2yr old , Dora doll, Dora backpack, dora bath island (Dora mad!) total £40

6 yr old, Power rangers outfit, a few power rangers toys, board game (power rangers mad!) £40

Those will be from us.

And then lots of little stocking fillers from santa. I am happy with that :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure