Barclays bank £2994 error

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The money wasn't yours, it was never going to be yours, you shouldn't have spent it, i can't see what Barclays have done wrong.
  • parking_question_chap
    parking_question_chap Posts: 2,694
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 5 July 2017 at 6:36PM
    You should not have spent it.

You might be able to claim you made an error in spending it, then argue that as they made an error as well you forgot the money wasnt yours. I would only ask that the overdraft bill is cancelled on this basis.

I dont know your situation, but just make sure you are polite but firm in putting your point over, dont go in with a sob story about being low paid/single mum/illness*, if I worked in the bank that would put my back up straight away.

*delete as appropriate.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    OP turn this situation round for one moment - just let's say that you transferred £2500 from one account to another but you input the wrong receiving number.
    You phone/call at the bank and ask for it to be corrected - their reply is only £2050 is recoverable as the rest has been spent - how would you feel? Would you be happy to kiss goodbye to the money??
    #
    I suspect I know what the answer would be (the same as mine!)
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Emilyrob wrote: »
    No, I expect to pay it back as I have spent it but I am not happy with how the bank have dealt with this. I believed the money was mine because of coincidence's that occurred after speaking the bank, especially after I was told it couldn't be a mistake. I am now going to be chathe interest because of a mistake made by someone else.

That doesn't sound like what you say in post #1
    On 21/06/2017 an amount of £2994 was paid into my barclays current account. I went to the bank straight away where I was advised to keep the money in my savings for the mean time because It couldn't been seen where the money came from because there was no account information.

You were told not to spend it, so why did you?
    Is this right that the bank can just do this to my account without permission??

It wasn't your money, they told you to put it into your savings account pending investigation yet you decided to spend the money?

Did you know that's an offence under the Theft Act? You knew it wasn't yours, and yet you still spent it...
    ====
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you ask the bank nicely they may be prepared to waive the unarranged overdraft fees.
    : )
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The person in the bank said that they could not trace where the money had come from because there was no account details attached to the transfer. However today they said that it was from a barclays account holder and a mistake had been made in branch where a transfer had been made into the wrong account.

The OP is in the wrong, we all know it including the OP.

Nobody ever deals with or adequately explains the persistent lying/lack of clarity from the bank staff when they say things like "we can't see where the money has come from". We have seen this line dozens of times on his forum. Of course they can if they really wanted to help the customer.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Ambassador
    edited 5 July 2017 at 10:08PM
    You may want to check your T&C's on your current account where it says about erroneous payments and that it can be recoverable from any account you hold with the bank...

I have found it on P27

Barclays T&C's

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,701
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Westie983 wrote: »
    You may want to check your T&C's on your current account where it says about erroneous payments and that it can be recoverable from any account you hold with the bank...

I have found it on P27

Barclays T&C's

Westie983
    That only overs the right to set off which is pretty much the same as all banks.

Page 6 covers erroneous payments and states they can take it without notice which could lead to some interesting situations if the bank have not carried out due diligence on the claim.
  • molerat wrote: »
    They should have notified you that they were going to recover the money so I believe a complaint is due in that respect ....... but the advice always given is to put it somewhere safe and not spend it for up to 6 years.

Most banks Ts&Cs allow them to recover erroneous payments without notice.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Presumably this is a continuation of this thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure