PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2017

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Book 28: has been on my wishlist for quite some time, so I snapped it up from the chazzer this afternoon and read it this evening.

220px-Theboyinthestripedpyjamas.jpg

9/10 - simply and beautifully written, and so poignant. I only wish I hadn't seen the film already, as the ending would have been even more shocking. This isn't going to leave me for a long time.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I finished reading the autobiography of Cheryl Barrymore called Catch a Falling Star which was centred on her life with Michael Barrymore. I have owned this hardback book for a few years so I decided I really should get around to reading it. This book was another 99p shop buy.

The fascination for me is how could a really strong woman like Cheryl Barrymore had not left Michael once his behaviour towards her became so abusive? Also she finally answered the question of how she had never suspected her loving husband of being gay.

It is well written and very descriptive. I give it an 8 out of 10
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 8 June 2017 at 5:10PM
    I am reading Claire Macintosh's second book and its really good Its called
    'I See You' and I do hope she keeps on writing as her first book 'I Let you Go was pretty good as well.I am hoping she will develop into as good a writer as the late Ruth Rendell. I do like a good mystery thriller with lots of twists and turns

JackieO xxx
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Book 28: has been on my wishlist for quite some time, so I snapped it up from the chazzer this afternoon and read it this evening.

220px-Theboyinthestripedpyjamas.jpg

9/10 - simply and beautifully written, and so poignant. I only wish I hadn't seen the film already, as the ending would have been even more shocking. This isn't going to leave me for a long time.

i love that book. so much more shocking than the film. Moving and thought provoking.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Even thinking of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas makes me fill up!

I've just finished a Jeffrey Deaver, the second Lincoln Rhyme novel - The Coffin Dancer.

It was ok only, with a twist which was not entirely convincing.

Just started another Anne Holt, No Echo.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • alfsmum
    alfsmum Posts: 620 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    JackieO wrote: »
    I am reading Claire Macintosh's second book and its really good Its called
    'I See You' and I do hope she keeps on writing as her first book 'I Let you Go was pretty good as well.I am hoping she will develop into as good a writer as the late Ruth Rendell. I do like a good mystery thriller with lots of twists and turns

JackieO xxx

I enjoyed I See You, a good twist at the end (no spoilers!). Haven't read her first one yet but it's on my list.
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Hobsons_Choice Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    alfsmum wrote: »
    I enjoyed I See You, a good twist at the end (no spoilers!). Haven't read her first one yet but it's on my list.

I found her first novel was equally as good. Happy to add her name to my list of "favourite authors". Also Susie Steiner 'Missing Presumed' and 'Persons Unknown' writes similar books. Always on the lookout for new (to me) authors, my most popular ones don't write quick enough :D.
    Normal people worry me.
  • blackcatsx2
    blackcatsx2 Posts: 114 Forumite
    I hope it's ok to join in. I really enjoyed Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonsen. It was a lovely story, both poignant and very witty 9/10.
    I tried another book by the same author, The Summer Before The War, but I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as Major Pettigrew.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Good twist at the end of I see you and quite unexpected Just started reading a Lawrence Block book called A Drop of the Hard Stuff and I'm finding it not bad at all I have never read him, but Liam Neeson played his hero in a movie (A Walk among the Tombstones) I watched a little while ago and I remembered the name when I was in the library.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I hope it's ok to join in. I really enjoyed Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonsen. It was a lovely story, both poignant and very witty 9/10.
    I tried another book by the same author, The Summer Before The War, but I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as Major Pettigrew.
    Welcome to the thread :)

Just read a review of Major Pettigrew and have P'inned it, thanks for the recommendation!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure