Part of my PC exploded and damaged the rest, am I covered?

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    if you bought good ram, they usually have lifetime warranty, the MB, CPU and GFX may not be however.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    On what date did you buy the PC, and on what date did the PSU fail? Surely after replacing it they powered it up to test it?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • maddogb
    maddogb Posts: 473 Forumite
    Good question and not one I have seen answered but I think you might want to discuss this in the PC/tech forums as well, maybe someone there has had some luck.
    It might also be wise to consider alternate routes such as pursuing either Corsair or the retailer you purchased the psu from for consequential losses, I suspect they will all have T&Cs arguing against this but I imagine the law will simply ignore those.
    Also consider a visit to CAB they should advise you on the best route to take with this (make sure you get someone who understands the tech behind this.
  • Guarantees often specifically exclude consequential damage (and so do a lot of insurance policies), so the computer repair might well be out of your own pocket. Does the power supply have a crowbar? If it has then you might have grounds for complaint, if it hasn't then you've pretty much got what you'd expect.
  • maddogb
    maddogb Posts: 473 Forumite
    jack_pott wrote: »
    Guarantees often specifically exclude consequential damage (and so do a lot of insurance policies), so the computer repair might well be out of your own pocket. Does the power supply have a crowbar? If it has then you might have grounds for complaint, if it hasn't then you've pretty much got what you'd expect.

So as not to discourage research of every angle too early, many consumer contracts have wording that is not inline with the law.
    This would not be a claim on the warranty and therefore any terms in the warranty would not apply, just as Ford producing a car with duff brakes would not make them non liable for damages caused by any failures.
  • But if you buy a power supply with no crowbar you have effectively conceded that the load is not valuable enough to you to make it worth protecting against a PSU failure.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Apparently the PSU has voltage protection:

Over-voltage protection, under-voltage protection, and short circuit protection, over power protection, over temperature protection provide maximum safety to your critical system components.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The question that needs answering is

Did a fault on the PC cause the PSU. to blow (possible as new PSU doesn't appear to work) or did the PSU blowing cause a fault in the PC (is that likely with the built in protection of the PSU)?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,545 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 September 2017 at 5:26PM
    More likely something unseated in transit.

Dont forget that contacting your insurance could mean you need to delcare this potential loss even if they do not payout.

Cover is more likely loss or damage not general failure. ie heating element in an iron or kettle or cooker. Its wear and tear.

If its under warranty then return it.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Hi there.

I've just had the same thing happen. My PSU set fire to a load of cables and took everything with it that was attached with a sata power cable that being all my ssd's, watercooler, and motherboard also because of the fire it melted all my case cables.
    Luckily my family and house are ok and cpu and ram :p. If I was not in the house that would of set fire causing damage to who knows what.
    My PSU was a EVGA 750gq so by no means cheap. I was wondering do you think EVGA are liable if it was the PSU is at fault because it was an electrical fire and the PSU should of cut off the second there was a surge big enough to cause a fire.

Thank you in advance to whom answers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport