Sky cancellation

I have given Sky a cancellation effective at the end of my contract for TV, Bband, calls and line. This morning I checked my download speed. I have records of a continual, stable 10.7 Mbps over more than 10 months. Now I have 6.7 Mbps. Coincidence? Pull the other one!

I will be very happy to leave them, this is just the last straw in a history of incompetent and inneficient service. There is very little real entetainment for me in Sky.
I think this job really needs
a much bigger hammer.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 September 2017 at 5:15PM
    Robisere wrote: »
    I have given Sky a cancellation effective at the end of my contract for TV, Bband, calls and line. This morning I checked my download speed. I have records of a continual, stable 10.7 Mbps over more than 10 months. Now I have 6.7 Mbps. Coincidence? Pull the other one!
    Why would your provider deliberately reduce your level of service because you have given your cancellation notice? Wouldn't it be a wiser business practice to keep your service at optimum to encourage you to perhaps cancel your cancellation or consider this provider in the future?

It is a coincidence and the speed will doubtless shortly return to it's earlier level.

Like the allegation of "fraud" levelled against this provider a few days back, this looks like just another conspiracy theory with no evidence to back it up.

Have you really kept "records" of your constant download speeds? Why would you do this if they never fluctuated in the past?
  • Why would your provider deliberately reduce your level of service because you have given your cancellation notice? Wouldn't it be a wiser business practice to keep your service at optimum to encourage you to perhaps cancel your cancellation or consider this provider in the future?

It is a coincidence and the speed will doubtless shortly return to it's earlier lever.

Like the allegation of "fraud" levelled against this provider a few days back, this looks like just another conspiracy theory with no evidence to back it up.

Have you really kept "records" of your constant download speeds? Why would you do this if they never fluctuated?

Have to agree with all of that although you can sign in to Speedtest.net for instance and it'll keep a history of all your speed tests, mine go back years.
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    It’ll be a coicncidence.

Are you migrating to another supplier for line and bb? If so you’ll need to place an order with someone to take over the service, otherwise if you cease with Sky and take up service elsehwere once it’s off, you’ll have no internet for a few weeks.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I was expecting this to be picked up and compared with my previous post about Sky.
    Answers:
    *Yes, I really do have records of my speeds, from speedtest.net
    *I do that because I had to prove a point to Sky in the first 2 months of the service: I applied for FTTC and they gave me ADSL with a 1.5 Mbps download. Eventually I managed to receive the FTTC service that I actually ordered.
    *That was only one instance of incompetent, inneficient service that I proved by sending them an image of speedtests.
    *I have continued to take and record speedtests because, in the words of moneyineptitude, "..they fluctuated in the past."
    *Many months of stable speeds, without a change, suddenly drop 2 days after I cancel. Coincidence? I will let you know when (if) speeds return to normal. Whatever that is.
    *2 more near neighbours are on exactly the same Sky Bband deal as myself. Their speeds are unchanged.

lee111s - Thank you for a considered reply and good advice, but I have already arranged for another ISP to give me the service of choice, to begin 2 weeks from Sky cancellation. Sky have already told me (after repeated questions from me) that I will pay a penalty if I choose another service before cancellation date.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Robisere wrote: »
    in the words of moneyineptitude, "..they fluctuated in the past."
    I actually said exactly the opposite.
    Why would you do this if they never fluctuated in the past?
    Regardless, I hope you have better luck with your new provider.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure