ESA+PIP/house adaptations

Hi so I currently get ESA and I'm in the support group and also get pip of which i get standard rate for daily living and enhanced rate for mobility I've applied to the council for an adapted property about 5 months ago and they have offered me one in the last few days and have gave me a week to decide but here are my concerns after someone said something to me.

They said that with an adapted property because it has a wet room and stair lift in that now it could mean I won't be entitled to ESA+PIP because I'll be able to shower on my own without help as currently I'm having body washes with the help of my carer (apart from my hair I would still need help with that) and because of this it could mean I'm no longer entitled to ESA+PIP surely they can't expect me to struggle for ever if this is the case what do you think I should do

PLEASE PLEASE HELP someone

Comments

• The person that gave you that advise wants shooting as it is completely wrong as having an adapted property does not effect your ESA & PIP and it should not effect your need for a carer as you haven't by miracle got better yes life will be easier hopefully for you.

Someone else should be able to answer the question about your carer,but in the mean time try not to worry.:)
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Ghjl wrote: »
    Hi so I currently get ESA and I'm in the support group and also get pip of which i get standard rate for daily living and enhanced rate for mobility I've applied to the council for an adapted property about 5 months ago and they have offered me one in the last few days and have gave me a week to decide but here are my concerns after someone said something to me.

They said that with an adapted property because it has a wet room and stair lift in that now it could mean I won't be entitled to ESA+PIP because I'll be able to shower on my own without help as currently I'm having body washes with the help of my carer (apart from my hair I would still need help with that) and because of this it could mean I'm no longer entitled to ESA+PIP surely they can't expect me to struggle for ever if this is the case what do you think I should do

Agree with Bulldog. This would not go against you. It never went against me when i had an adapted house with a wet room and multiple other adaptions. The person who told you this doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.
  • I had a place adapted a few years ago...I had the bathroom converted to a wetroom, and various rails put in throughout the place....it made no difference to my ESA or DLA

Last year I moved into sheltered housing....ground floor, support-rails, wetroom...and when I had my DLA to PiP transfer a few months ago, my award was actually increased.

So, my own personal experience is that adapted housing will NOT impact on ESA or PiP.

(Maybe the person who gave you that advice was confused...if you move into a residential/care home you would lose the CARE component of PiP - but still get ESA and Mobility PiP....but this is not the same as adapted housing.....even the DWP themselves get confused on this point!)
  • Nope, you won't lose ESA or PIP because of adaptations. My son has a wetroom and still receives high rate care and high rate mobility.
  • Ghjl wrote: »

The person who told you this doesn't know what he is talking about.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • Ghjl
    Ghjl Posts: 75 Forumite
    Ok thank you so much for the help everyone I will accept the property its going to make life easier for me
  • Ghjl wrote: »
    Ok thank you so much for the help everyone I will accept the property its going to make life easier for me

Good luck for the future.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure