Ebay advice please - suspect buyer lying

Comments

• john2054
    john2054 Posts: 202 Forumite
    As someone else said, you have lost out here im afraid. The best you can do now, is to cooperate, and write this one off. Learning the lesson for next time!
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    schools are out everyone
  • soolin wrote: »
    That is not the case, I queried this again yesterday as I do not have it on my business account, this is the official response from my RM business manager:

In terms of delivery confirmation this need to be activated assuming you are producing Barcoded labels via DMO

If you contact the DMO support team they will be able to advise how to go about this

If you are using PPi Labels then this service is not available

If anyone posts a parcel and it has a 2D barcode on it it should be scanned at point of delivery. This was introduced last year.

I'm not sure about business accounts but First and Second class Horizon will produce a 2D barcode.
  • barmonkey
    barmonkey Posts: 7,159 Forumite
    If anyone posts a parcel and it has a 2D barcode on it it should be scanned at point of delivery. This was introduced last year.

All parcels now have delivery confirmation for free, this became active about 3 weeks ago.
    WWSD
    (what would Scooby Doo)
  • How?

If you do believe it's been delivered then you shouldn't be claiming from RM that it is lost.

Belief has nothing to do with how you proceed, only the facts matter.

If the seller cannot prove delivery (and even if they suspect the buyer is lying), they have no choice but to "believe" the buyer and refund.

If the seller refunds the buyer for loss, and is able to claim compensation from Royal Mail, then they obviously should - no two ways about it.

Royal Mail actually want sellers to file claims - as bizarre as that sounds, considering how difficult I've heard people say the claims process can be. Claims made by sellers for lost mail is the way that Royal Mail get serial thieves on their radar.

I have twice in the last month found a way of e-mailing Royal Mail to highlight multiple INR claiming buyers, and on both occasions have received responses along the lines of "thank you for your information, please make a claim etc" and when I've replied to say "I am a business seller and can't make a claim, I'm reporting this address not to claim but to hopefully get you to investigate this person", I have been told "please make a claim anyway, because that is how we identify problem addresses."
  • theonlywayisup
    Belief has nothing to do with how you proceed, only the facts matter.

....and even if they suspect the buyer is lying), they have no choice but to "believe" the buyer and refund.

Unless a seller has proof of delivery a seller must refund on ebay/paypal. Don't get confused between what you need to do on ebay/paypal but what you actually do apropos Royal Mail (or whatever carrier you use).

You should not be claiming from a carrier if you suspect the buyer has had the delivery. The OP thinks the parcel has been delivered. Claiming when you think (and we don't know how/why she thinks this) the item has been delivered is wrong.
  • No it isn't wrong. At all.

The OP *thinks* the buyer has received the delivery but doesn't *know* it in the absence of proof of delivery.

What the seller *thinks* is utterly irrelevant as to how to proceed. What the seller *knows* is relevant and their action must be based on that.

The seller *knows* that the buyer is claiming INR, and that's the top and bottom of it.

Procedure from that premise - buyer claims INR, seller can't prove otherwise and refunds, seller tries to recoup their losses from Royal Mail.

If the buyer is really lying, they're in the wrong - not the seller for *thinking* they're lying.
  • theonlywayisup
    No it isn't wrong. At all.

The OP *thinks* the buyer has received the delivery but doesn't *know* it in the absence of proof of delivery.

What the seller *thinks* is utterly irrelevant as to how to proceed. What the seller *knows* is relevant and their action must be based on that.

The seller *knows* that the buyer is claiming INR, and that's the top and bottom of it.

Procedure from that premise - buyer claims INR, seller can't prove otherwise and refunds, seller tries to recoup their losses from Royal Mail.

If the buyer is really lying, they're in the wrong - not the seller for *thinking* they're lying.

Clearly your moral compass is set at a different angle to mine.

You are confusing what you need to do on eBay apropos a refund and what you should do regarding a claim.

Your last sentence says it all.

This buyer believes (and I say again, we don't know why she believes this) but she believes the item has been delivered. If that is the case she should not be claiming.

She should refund as otherwise ebay/paypal will do that for her, but she should not be claiming from RM.

I don't use asterisks in my posts as for me it's quite straightforward. :D
  • ontheup1972
    ontheup1972 Posts: 90 Forumite
    edited 10 April 2017 at 8:29PM
    Clearly your moral compass is set at a different angle to mine.

You are confusing what you need to do on eBay apropos a refund and what you should do regarding a claim.

Your last sentence says it all.

This buyer believes (and I say again, we don't know why she believes this) but she believes the item has been delivered. If that is the case she should not be claiming.

She should refund as otherwise ebay/paypal will do that for her, but she should not be claiming from RM.

I don't use asterisks in my posts as for me it's quite straightforward. :D

My moral compass is pointing in the right direction thank you very much.

I'm not sure how else to spell this out but how the seller feels about the authenticity of the claim from the buyer isn't going to come into it.

The seller is responsible for getting the item to the buyer which is why the buyer claims from the seller - but the seller also has redress with the carrier who they have contracted to do the job of delivery.

So in the absence of proof of delivery, the seller simply has to tell the carrier that INR has been claimed and that would normally be by way of a claim.

Like I said, I have two recent cases where I've reported to Royal Mail buyers who I was 99.99% sure were stealing multiple times - that's reported, not claimed aginst - Royal Mail told me to claim! QED.
  • theonlywayisup
    If you can't see the difference, I can't make you understand. I'll leave you with your compass settings.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure