re-laying paving setts

Different people call them different things. The brick size paving setts.

Are you supposed to have a little gap between them when you put them down? Is this acceptable?

I've never seen it before so i'd say no, but then i'm no expert in this & can only go off what i've seen before - which has been no gap.

Where I live we were served noticed of gas line upgrades to the area & the work is currently being carried out on our street.

One of the workers came to me yesterday to say a few of these setts needed lifting, as did a paving flag & that they'll put them down & we wont ever know they'd been lifted.

No probably the way the tinterweb works is that even the flag will be heavily criticised as the worst job ever seen before but tbh the flag seems fine enough to me, it's the brick pavers i'm not convinced with.

w2eno9.jpg
331pv85.jpg

If this is a way of doing them then fair enough, but if it's wrong then it needs sorting. They move a bit too if i go & grab them at the edges. Just doesn't seem right.

But like i said, i'm no expert so i don't want to go marching off & finger pointing if it's all perfectly acceptable.

Comments

• nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Our block paviors have raised bits on each pavior which mean that there is a standard gap which is filled with fine sand. As far as I'm aware the sand keeps the paviors in place and not a sand and cement mix.
  • Yeah all the ones i've dealt with (have dealt with a few different brands) have had these ridges.

So it just needs filling with sand then? Would've thought they'd have had some paving sand since there was always a chance they'd have to lift folks pavers.

Good thing they didn't have to rip up the entire drive then!!!
  • Fat_Walt
    Fat_Walt Posts: 750 Forumite
    Is that an attempt at pointing?

If so it'll stain.
  • Fat_Walt wrote: »
    Is that an attempt at pointing?

If so it'll stain.
    I'm not overly bothered about that to be honest as at some point the flagged section will be taken up for indian paving slabs, but the setts were going to stay.

Although how would you get rid of the staining because we have it elsewhere where we really don't want it?
  • wellused
    wellused Posts: 1,678 Forumite
    It looks like whoever did that doesn't know what they are doing, contact the contractors and ask them to do it properly.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Although how would you get rid of the staining because we have it elsewhere where we really don't want it?

You can purchase concrete & patio cleaner which is a dilute hydrochloric acid from many hardware shops. This will remove some staining - Just don't breath in the fumes or get it on your skin and have a bucket of cold clean water to hand.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • wellused wrote: »
    It looks like whoever did that doesn't know what they are doing, contact the contractors and ask them to do it properly.
    And say what?

You was out at my property lifting my pavers, you need to come back & re-lay them properly.

Oh really? And what isn't proper about the job / how would you like us to re-lay them / what's wrong with that?

Can you put some sand in the holes?

Or should they really do anything else?

Not being difficult with yourself here, just what should i tell them if they want to know what they're needing to do (other than do it proper)?

I'll have to find some sort of contact for them. I'm not sure if it's the council who's set it up or what.
  • Kiran
    Kiran Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 October 2016 at 8:40AM
    If you want them to come back you need to send them the photos and tell them the reinstatement is not acceptable. Anyone that knows about block paving will be able to tell from from the photo that it hasn't been done correctly. That being said, it's an easy job to fill the gaps with kiln dried sand and also should be part of the regular maintenance of any block paving. I can't tell what they removed from the photo but looks like all of those blocks could do with re sanding.
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
  • Kiran wrote: »
    If you want them to come back you need to send them the photos and tell them the reinstatement is not acceptable. Anyone that knows about block paving will be able to tell from from the photo that it hasn't been done correctly. That being said, it's an easy job to fill the gaps with kiln dried sand and also should be part of the regular maintenance of any block paving. I can't tell what they removed from the photo but looks like all of those blocks could do with re sanding.
    Yeah it's a bad photo for that really.

They lifted about the first two rows. The rest are untouched & there's no gaps.

The whole thing is filthy on account of them not cleaning up the dust they created after cutting the joints on the paving flag.
  • wellused
    wellused Posts: 1,678 Forumite
    Tell them that the pointing,(if that is what they want you to believe it is) looks like it was done by a chimp and while they are putting that job right they could also get some paving sand to finish the job off. You may well do some other victim of these cowboys a favour by raising the issue. That's just my humble opinion going by your photo by the way, take it or leave it as you wish no skin off my hooter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure