Great 'Sell Your Gold' Hunt

Comments

• JDPower wrote: »
    Personally I would avoid Hatton Garden purely because of the pathetic and excessive spamming they've resorted to in this thread and can't believe it's got past the moderators!

Just so any trusting types who are reading this thread know - if you see a post giving a glowing recommendation for a company from a user who has only just joined and with only that one post, take it with a large pinch of salt (Tallulah above is a perfect example, also see page one and all the supposed Hatton Garden 'Recommendations')

PS: By my count there 9 spam posts in this thread, all of which are now reported.

How many posts should you have before it's considered spam? You sound very happy with yourself, somebody actually listened to you! It's not all about doom and gloom on this site. Good news should be spread far and wide, even if it is your first post. I used HGM and the money went into my ISA and a night out with my family. Big thank you to the original poster. I'll rather have quality than quantity when it comes to posts.
  • meggsy
    meggsy Posts: 741 Forumite
    I've noticed this on other threads, but thought new posters were probably alerted by Martins weekly newsletter i.e., in this case on the 14th and 21st.
    Anyone like to confirm ;)
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 October 2009 at 4:04PM
    frankla wrote: »
    How many posts should you have before it's considered spam? You sound very happy with yourself
    Quite the opposite, was unhappy that the forum was being abused and some users were unwittingly trusting the spam recommendations. Might I also point out, if they hadn't been spam the mods wouldn't have removed them so whether they were spam or not is not even in question (I only reported them, its up to the moderators to check their validity and if THEY consider them spam then remove them).

I am not questioning the genuine recommendations for Hatton but at least people can now read the thread and see only the GENUINE recommendations for them (or any other company recommended here for that matter). My only comment regards the company themselves was that I personally wouldn't use or trust a company that has to resort to such methods, I didn't question their service one way or the other and didn't report any of the Hatton recommendations that were clearly genuine.

Anyway, the spam is gone, the genuine posts are still there, I fail to see why anyone would have a problem with that :confused: (except perhaps any lingering spammers but even they should be pleased with themselves as they were successful in sucking in some trusting MSE users)
  • I am looking to send my Gold to one of these postal companies but not sure which one is best... What we need is a jounalist to send the same gold to all the companies and see who offers the best rate.... Has anyone heard of this happening and if so who's giving the best rates???
  • I have taken the plunge and today sent off a mixture of gold items to Hatton Garden Metals. The Post Office have said that my parcel gets 'priority' but is uncertain that with the backlog it will reach destination by tomorrow.

So, when I hear from HGM I will post to let you all know how I got on.

Hopefully it will be good news!!
  • I am looking to send my Gold to one of these postal companies but not sure which one is best... What we need is a jounalist to send the same gold to all the companies and see who offers the best rate.... Has anyone heard of this happening and if so who's giving the best rates???

:o I have researched a lot on the intenet and have come to the conclusion that Hatton Garden Metals seems to be the best company offering top rates. Today it's at £7.44 p/g which is rather high compared to some others you will come across (and those that are being advertised on the tv).

So I have sent my parcel off this afternoon, I have my receipt to track this and as soon as I know what's going on (what I get offered etc) I will let you all know.

All I can say is sometimes you have to take the plunge but if you do your homework first, hopefully you will manage to get the returns you deserve rather than lining someone elses pockets!!! :T
  • lewt
    lewt Posts: 9,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Be warned that many of the internet based companies are using affiliates to promote their business which will mean that someone will get a percentage of any monies due to you. I recently received such an email from an affiliate of Money4Gold so perhaps you should go direct not that I am recommending them or any other company in any way.
    why unless there is a cashback site offering??
    If i upset you don't stress, never forget that god aint finished with me yet.
  • hollydays wrote: »
    Jewellery Doctor / www.webuyoldgold.co.uk

35 reform street,dundee,dd1 1SH

they claim
    We are recommended on forums at

Money Saving Expert

http://www.jewellerydoctor.co.uk/

Is this true-can't see any recommendations when i had a search at todays date

I have sent lots of jewellery to this company & I would say they are very good!
    I DID get their details off MSN site & they were also on the forums so what they say is true!
    It was quite a while ago before all the adverts to sell your jewellery on the tv!
    The first time I sent anything off I was a bit wary so I sent broken bits & odd earrings thinking I might get £10 but I actually got over £50 for things that had been in the bottom of my jewellery box for years! I also got paid by paypal as i didnt want to give out my bank details!
    After receiving that amount I sent off lots of things that i would never wear.
    I would say they give a very fair price & even sent me back a diamond ring as they said it was worth more than they could get for it! (some things they sell on & others they melt down)
    A lot of my jewellery was 14 carat which I got a lot more for.
    One 9 carat necklace i took into two shops before i found this site, one offered me £30 & the other £50, I got £100 from WBOG.
    Also my boyfriend had a half sovereign ring & they said there wasn't a very good market for these as they are not very fashionable! The man advised us to sell it on ebay for around £100 (he did & got £99!)
    I have recommended quite a few friends & they have all been very happy with what they got for their jewellery.
    All the money I received I have revamped my kitchen (new work top & tiles)
    I could never have afforded it otherwise! :T
    2012 wins: American Anthem tickets, Illamasqua lipstick & mascara, Wireless tickets, Bakin boys cupcakes, Hotel Chocolat, Trip to LA & £500 spending money, cinema tickets, goodwood tickets, cocktail night at waldorf hotel, parmesan, Flip goody bag & case Relentless drink, Coke T-shirt, Gaymers cider, Bruce Lee T-shirt, DVD & poster:j
  • I emailed Hatton Garden Metals yesterday asking if they took gold rings with diamonds (and other stones) or if they were solely just a gold dealer. As yet I haven't had any response to my email & I also have tried calling them 4 times (but no answer, it just rings out).

So my gut feeling is not to send stones (obviously this is simply a gut feeling and not fact). But based on what 'fimorg' has said on here - it highlights the matter in hand. So, due to the praise they have received I will send my gold only.

Thanks 'fimorg' for your useful info as it's answered the question I put to HGM.

:beer:

:cool: UPDATE

Today I have had a reply from HGM with ref to sending stones in rings/earrings etc. Their reply is as follows:

''Hi Rachel,

Apologies for the delay in a reply, my e-mails have been playing up.

We accept rings with stones in, but we do not pay any extra as we smash the stones out as we only buy the metal. If you wanted to sell the items then I would recommend going to a jewellers that could offer you this service.

If you have any other enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us''.
    Unquote

So, this should help anyone wondering whether or not to send in stones. Don't! As you will not receive any cash for them and they won't be returned to you either (as it states this on the booking form which I filled in and sent off yesterday on-line).
  • :o I have researched a lot on the intenet and have come to the conclusion that Hatton Garden Metals seems to be the best company offering top rates. Today it's at £7.44 p/g which is rather high compared to some others you will come across (and those that are being advertised on the tv).

So I have sent my parcel off this afternoon, I have my receipt to track this and as soon as I know what's going on (what I get offered etc) I will let you all know.

All I can say is sometimes you have to take the plunge but if you do your homework first, hopefully you will manage to get the returns you deserve rather than lining someone elses pockets!!! :T

:money:My parcel arrived at HGM today and I have already received my money in to my bank by BACS!!!!!

It is for as follows:

9ct: 55.20 g @ £7.32 = £404.06
    14ct: 18.00 g @ £11.38 = £204.84
    Full Sovereigns: 1.00 each @ £143.06 = £143.06

Total = £751.96 :beer:

So in one week I have made the above amount as ''MSE Newbie''!! This will go off my credit card and clear my debts. Fantastic!!

I recommend Hatton Garden and I will use them again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure