Asda Price Guarantee

I tried this for the first time last week and found that you must have at least 8 different items (i.e. wine, chocs, magazines, fruit etc.) for this to work.

I spent over £60 on wine, cat food and cat litter but couldn't do 'PriceGuarantee' as it was classed as 3 items only.

Just wanted to alert others to be sure to pick up a couple of cheap items in order to reach the magic 8.

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,889 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 November 2011 at 3:41PM
    be careful if you pick up cheap things as they always come up as non comparible!

ie I bought smartprice bacon and Tesco has no alternative (I thought they would compare it to Tesco Value but they dont)

Here are a few more from my recent receipt;

1 x Big & British Extra Large Eggs (6) £1.00 N/A
    1 x ASDA Minced Steak & Onion Slices (2x165g)£1.00 N/A
    2 x ASDA Beef & Tomato Noodle Snack (93g)£1.00 N/A
    1 x ASDA Shallots (450g)£1.00 N/A
    4 x ASDA Brisket Pot Roast Large by Weight (100g)£22.00 N/A
    2 x ASDA Spicy Curry Noodle Snack (90g)£1.00N/A
    2 x ASDA Smartprice Caramel Wafers (5 per pack - 85g)£0.80 N/A
    1 x ASDA Seasonal Vegetable Medley (320g)£1.65N/A
    2 x ASDA Meat Feast Pasta Bake (800g)£4.00 N/A
    1 x ASDA Spinach & Feta Parcels (6 per pack - 180g)£1.50 N/A
    1 x ASDA Chilli Beef Pasta Bake (1.5Kg)£4.95 N/A
    1 x Natural Selection American Cranberry (170g)£1.00 N/A
    2 x Heinz Chopped Tomatoes in Tomato Juice (4x400g)£3.00N/A
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Is it just the difference refunded (in which case it's not worth it), or double? I'm following prices on mysupermaket.com but tbh it feels like a bit of a waste of time for pennies.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • sarah1972
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Is it just the difference refunded (in which case it's not worth it), or double? I'm following prices on mysupermaket.com but tbh it feels like a bit of a waste of time for pennies.

Asda guarentee to be 10% cheaper otherwise they refund the difference only but i you spend £40 with Asda and then do the price guarentee you also get a £5 voucher to spend on your next shop.

Details here http://shop.asda.com/asda-price-guarantee/?cmpid=ahc-sho-list-bannerHead
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jolfc
    jolfc Posts: 446 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    sarah1972 wrote: »
    Asda guarentee to be 10% cheaper otherwise they refund the difference only but i you spend £40 with Asda and then do the price guarentee you also get a £5 voucher to spend on your next shop.

Details here http://shop.asda.com/asda-price-guarantee/?cmpid=ahc-sho-list-bannerHead

is it £5 everytime you spend £40, as i have one £5 voucher now so could i collect say 3 and use them on my big christmas shop does anyone know, :)
  • sarah1972
    jolfc wrote: »
    is it £5 everytime you spend £40, as i have one £5 voucher now so could i collect say 3 and use them on my big christmas shop does anyone know, :)

not sure of the expiry dates on them, I dont think they have a long date on them so check that before you store them up if that makes sense?

Good point though, could be worth a call to clarify.
  • shione
    shione Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    jolfc wrote: »

You can only use one £5 voucher per transaction. If u have more than one £5 voucher and have a lot of shopping, ask the cashier to tell you when your total comes to £40, Pay for it and then carry on until the next £40 and use another £5 voucher.
    Not sure if u would get another apg £5 bonus doing the shopping this way.
  • magenta22
    magenta22 Posts: 357 Forumite
    I think this is brilliant if this is your usual shop.

Only do the weekly shop so haven't tried it for few items but wines are not always comparable as they all stock different ones - plus Asda tend to do the 3 for 10 deal.

I got almost £3 back this week plus my £5 voucher - it's not much but it helps and if they are cheaper anyway I don;t mind
  • Hi, not sure if this has been mentioned before. If your Asda shopping includes promotional items, this obviously makes it cheaper, ie more likely to be 10% cheaper than elsewhere, so you're less likely to get the extra voucher. The solution is to put all those promotional items through as one transaction, then put all your other shopping in another transaction which you can use for the price guarantee (if it's over £40).
  • calisto
    calisto Posts: 152 Forumite
    Hmm... this ASDA price guarantee - I'm confused.

I have recently become addicted to St. Agur Creme blue cheese. It used to be £1.59 then £1.69 in ASDA a tub, but I was shocked to see it jump up to £2.00 a tub. I can't justify that for this little luxury even in this miserable inflationary age.

Checking mysupermarket.com it's £1.59 in 3 of the big 5 supermarkets, and only ASDA has the insanity price of £2.00.

So methinks, I remember this 10% guarantee malarky, so I bought my £2.00 tub along with a french stick and some beer as a nice take out snack, knowing I will get my 10% guarantee the following morning...

NOT!!

I didn't buy "8 items" that qualify.... So if I bought 8 x £2 tubs would I qualify? I think not, as it appears you need 8 *different* items, but they have to be "qualifying items". How the !!!! am I meant to know what qualifies?

Also, as much as I love this blue cream cheese stuff, I really don't want to buy 8 of them anyway, but getting 'em for 16p per tub cheaper than the other supermarkets would mean 4 of them would suit. I can easily polish them off before the sell by dates.

Also, is the 10% cheaper deal done on the subtotal of the receipt or each individual item? I can imagine buying my 4 tubs of Agur thinking I am clever and going to get a refund of 57p per tub, only to find that other deals ASDA will mark up to suit Tesco/etc and so I lose out overall?

TL;DR - ASDA 10% guarantee - is it a scam?

PS. This £40 / £5 voucher - I cannot see what this offer is on the links provided.
  • calisto
    calisto Posts: 152 Forumite
    Ok, just got back from ASDA, played safe and got 3 of the £2 Agur's, then made sure I bought another at least 7 items, mostly from SmartPrice, and then added on the end of day bakery deals, Granary French Stick for 18p, 8 Apple Toffee bread things for 12p instead of £1.50 or something, 6 Ciabbata rolls for 10p instead of a quid. I know the cut down bargains will not be applicable to the 10% guarantee, but I will see what happens tomorrow morning when I price check.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure