British Gas Homecare 400 - any cheaper alternative

2»

Comments

• Cardew wrote: »
    If you get Dual Fuel from BG they have just started a scheme called 'EnergyExtra50'.

You pay £2 a month and any callout for heating, electrics, drains etc costs £99.

Obviously no boiler service is included.

Bump.

Anything new information regarding the original query?
  • Worth noting that EE50 is now £3 a month. You also get a half price boiler service at £65.

Also worth noting that Energy Extra 400 covers the same as Homecare 400 but if you don't use it in the year you get a £20 credit to your account.

Also up until December 30th all the Energy Extra options (50, 200 flexi, 200 and 400) are 3 months free in the form of a credit to your gas account, so for the 400 you'd get a £81 credit to your account so if you break that down split amongst the monthly payments for the first year you're only really paying £20.25 a month for the full cover!

If thats still a little much the EE50 offers every benefit of the EE400/HC400 just the fact that should you ever need it, there is that charge.
  • Yellowcard wrote: »
    Worth noting that EE50 is now £3 a month. You also get a half price boiler service at £65.

Also worth noting that Energy Extra 400 covers the same as Homecare 400 but if you don't use it in the year you get a £20 credit to your account.

Also up until December 30th all the Energy Extra options (50, 200 flexi, 200 and 400) are 3 months free in the form of a credit to your gas account, so for the 400 you'd get a £81 credit to your account so if you break that down split amongst the monthly payments for the first year you're only really paying £20.25 a month for the full cover!

If thats still a little much the EE50 offers every benefit of the EE400/HC400 just the fact that should you ever need it, there is that charge.

Excellent information however, I am unable to find the page for BG's EE-400 product on their website.

Can you link me?

I've already had a couple of BG engineers out this week who discovered a faulty part on my nans Ravenheat boiler. The replacement part has been ordered and will be fixed later today.

Whilst inspecting the boiler yesterday, I asked the BG Engineer for an unbiased opinion about the replacement of the boiler - "If this was your own personal boiler, would you change or replace it?"

He said - "Definitely!"

I think it's a load of rubbish.

BG sell boilers from £1700, which I think is absolutely horrendous given that you can buy a top of the range Worcestor Boiler for about £950.00.

Sure, I appreciate the labor charges but if BG recommends we replace the boiler and we opt to purchase a new one from them, then I think they should take on the fitting/replacement charge ESPECIALLY since we pay £27 per month for Homecare 400.
  • ollski
    ollski Posts: 943 Forumite
    Whilst inspecting the boiler yesterday, I asked the BG Engineer for an unbiased opinion about the replacement of the boiler - "If this was your own personal boiler, would you change or replace it?"

He said - "Definitely!"

I think it's a load of rubbish.

BG sell boilers from £1700, which I think is absolutely horrendous given that you can buy a top of the range Worcestor Boiler for about £950.00.

Sure, I appreciate the labor charges but if BG recommends we replace the boiler and we opt to purchase a new one from them, then I think they should take on the fitting/replacement charge ESPECIALLY since we pay £27 per month for Homecare 400.

How on earth can someones opinion be 'rubbish'?

Your expectations are completely unrealistic, what has a maintainance contract got to do with a replacement?
  • Excellent information however, I am unable to find the page for BG's EE-400 product on their website.

Can you link me?

To my knowledge it's only available over the phone, give a call centre agent a ring and they can talk you through it in more detail or e-mail you a guide.
  • Yellowcard wrote: »
    To my knowledge it's only available over the phone, give a call centre agent a ring and they can talk you through it in more detail or e-mail you a guide.

I moved house in October and have dual fuel with BG. Out of the blue they phoned me to sell me the Energy Extra which I have signed up to - just need the proper MSE boiler and central heating cover now!

tigerlily
  • I moved house in October and have dual fuel with BG. Out of the blue they phoned me to sell me the Energy Extra which I have signed up to - just need the proper MSE boiler and central heating cover now!

tigerlily

Just replied to your other topic about this haha! Glad you have Energy Extra now though, it's a great product and with the current 3 month moneyback its a bit of a bargain!
  • I've cancelled my HomeCare account after a horrific episode of quite unprofessional and amateurish service from their engineers.

Over the course of the problem I have myself learned a lot about my boiler to the point that I isolated the cause myself and repaired it - a simple clip on electrical connection.

BG have chagned the boiler parts so much that it is now a "hacked" version of its former self and, although I now have it working, I probably will replace it using a local service.

I had to wait on the telephone for forty minutes in order to cancel my policy and when I got through the person on the other end of the line was defensive and quite rude.

I observed that the engineers tended to look online at a fault finding list that you or I can find ourselves to isolate a cause. Any investigation beyond that is beyond their capability which is not surprising given the quality of training they must get.

The local company that will replace my boiler quotes £250 for a five year parts and labour service, including an annual service. This is ten times cheaper than BG. They will also supply and install the boiler for around half the cost BG tend to quote.

I have no hesitation in recommending that you avoid BG service or, if you are already a customer, that you cancel it after securing a cheaper and more reliable service as recommended on this forum.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I have no hesitation in recommending that you avoid BG service or, if you are already a customer, that you cancel it after securing a cheaper and more reliable service as recommended on this forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Whilst you have obviously been dissatisfied with BG's service, many people have been very happy.

That includes myself, although I stopped my service because of their ever increasing cost and pressure to get a new boiler because 'parts were not available'. Quite simply they were poor value.

However in the years I used them their service was excellent - not that it was the boiler itself that ever went faulty.

There is no doubt that a reliable local fitter is a far better bet - albeit they are not always easy to find.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure