Help! Worse off after pay rise?

WLITC
WLITC Posts: 1,029 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
​So I've been promoted at work and I got a £1k rise and £7k 'car allowance'. I don't actually get a car or have to buy a car so combined it's essentially a £8k pay rise. I believe the car allowance is what's called a benefit in kind?

Anyway, excited to see what my new take home salary would be I plugged all the figures into a salary calculator and I was shocked to see that it throws out a figure about £182 less a month than I get now?

According to theSalarycalculator.co.uk with a basic salary of £39,300 I'll bring home about £2,484 but if I add in the £7,000 taxable benefit its brings it down to £2,302. Surely this can't be correct?

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    I think you are misusing the tax calculator. If your employer was giving you a company car that had a value of £7K a year, your take home pay would drop because you would have to pay tax on the value of the car. Because your £7K is simply an allowance to do what you like with, I think it will just be taxed as salary. So gross = £46,300 and net monthly = £2,848
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    WLITC wrote: »
    ​So I've been promoted at work and I got a £1k rise and £7k 'car allowance'. I don't actually get a car or have to buy a car so combined it's essentially a £8k pay rise. I believe the car allowance is what's called a benefit in kind?

Anyway, excited to see what my new take home salary would be I plugged all the figures into a salary calculator and I was shocked to see that it throws out a figure about £182 less a month than I get now?

According to theSalarycalculator.co.uk with a basic salary of £39,300 I'll bring home about £2,484 but if I add in the £7,000 taxable benefit its brings it down to £2,302. Surely this can't be correct?

it's not a benefit in kind
    it's simply an increase in salary
  • As per the above, car allowance is a bit of a misnomer since it's just extra salary and is taxed as such.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • WLITC
    WLITC Posts: 1,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Phew, thanks all that's a relief! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts