NHS - Time to privatise?

Comments

• GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Your dad wanted to go home with his neighbour. Short of sectioning him there's nothing anyone could do to keep him in a hospital even if a bed had been available.

As I commented on your previous posts, cataract surgery is day surgery and almost no one gets kept in overnight so you knew he'd be sent home - why didn't you make arrangements on the back of this?
  • How did the neighbour know to come and pick up your father? That's the only bit I don't get.

I've had both good and bad experiences with my elderly mother and the NHS - so you do have my sympathy.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My wifes last stay in a private hospital was £500 per night, if you're that concerned why aren't you paying for him to receive care?

Unless he doesn't have adequate mental capacity a hospital do not need to inform you of when he leaves, clearly he chose his neighbour, which he is more than welcome to do as an adult.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    mumps wrote: »
    And we citizens need to be prepared to pay enough for it. They can't run it on fresh air.

Healthcare cost comparison here.

The United Kingdom spends less per capita on healthcare than most comparable countries and hovers just above PIGS.

Healthcare and social care is a bottomless pit for money.
  • Gingernutty
    Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    paulfoel wrote: »
    After this weekend I'd say its time to scrap it and start again. Seems to be populated with too many people who dont give a monkeys and there is zero accountability.

Dad had cateract operation last week. Hes got sight in just one eye. They operated on the other. 10am on Friday they sent him home.

Blind. Hes 81 and lives alone. He lives in a flat up stairs. Hes got more stairs to go the toilet. He can't see to cook food/make a cup of tea. He can't see the numbers to call someone on the phone. He can't read to take his medication. He certainly can't see the eyedrops hes supposed to take.

I saw him on saturday and have spent the whole weekend trying to get some help for him. I must have argued with/threatend 10 people. Standard response is "he should have stayed in hospital, its not out responsibility" (but the ward in question is closed at the weekend). Some of these people I wouldnt let look after my hamster.

Finally got something sorted Sunday evening. At last. What a fight to get that.

Today I have spoken to the ward manager of the ward he was on and asked why he was discharged in a state like this. Her answer "not our fault we close the weekend". And worse still "well he didnt say anything". Hes 81 years of age.

I'm definitely going to complain about this. Its just appalling that this is the state of the NHS in a civilised country.

He was referred by a GP to a consultant and has been on a waiting list for months.

You and your Dad had a long time to sort out some sort of care package through the social services for quite some time.

The problem arises because the hospital doesn't liaise with external agencies unless requested to do so.

It sounds as if neither you nor your father requested help until he got to the stage of being discharged.
    :huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    Ah, not seen Logan's Run?

In that film, when people reach their 30th birthday, they go to Carousel where they die. It keeps the population level sustainable.
    Hmmm.

Clearly not a sensible addition to the debate then.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Why was a neighbour lined up to bring him home, rather than a family member?
  • Unky_Al
    Unky_Al Posts: 65 Forumite
    Has the OP actually contacted PALS regarding his concerns about his fathers care??
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    DomRavioli wrote: »
    You seem to be blowing this out of all proportion.

Complications happen in surgery (regardless of the type, nature, patient etc, there are risks with every procedure, and whilst not nice, they are not unforeseen); your father was let home with a responsible adult (his neighbour), who the nurses trusted to be able to check on him periodically (as they would do with anyone who came to collect a named patient).

No headlines, no incompetence (you could have called the ward on the day to see when he was being discharged, arranged care prior to discharge, arranged to collect him and ask any relevant questions at the time - all of which you failed to do).

You just seem like you want to pick a fight with someone - perhaps get the material facts before berating thousands of hard working professionals.

By the way, I did contact the ward before and discussed all of this. But someone in their rush to get him out forgot to phone me.

I have no issues with hard working professionals at all. The NHS needs more of them.

BUT, in my book, you're not a hard working professional unless you act like one. You're not bullet-proof just because you work for the NHS.

Pointless me arguing about it. My opinion holds no sway but I'm quite within my rights to query/complain.

If the Trust/NMC consider the actions taken to be incorrect then thats what matters. Person in question will then have to face the consequences. If it stops others doing the same then I'll be happy.

(and please don't give me the lack of money/busy/resources argument. There is no excuse - a nurse is accountable for his/her own actions regardless and they all know that).
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    Your dad wanted to go home with his neighbour. Short of sectioning him there's nothing anyone could do to keep him in a hospital even if a bed had been available.

As I commented on your previous posts, cataract surgery is day surgery and almost no one gets kept in overnight so you knew he'd be sent home - why didn't you make arrangements on the back of this?

He didnt want to go home. He asked if they were sure he should go home. But hes 81, hes of the generation where you do as you're told and they knew it.

No he was told it would be a MINIMUM of one night and they would not send him home unless he was ok. That was arranged.
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport