PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stopping light leakage?

I live in a annoying place for light, I have normal blinds and curtains over them and that keeps out a ok amount of light but not enough to stop me getting disturbed in the morning.

I like some natural light leaking direct through the curtains but not heavy light through gaps as that fills up the room.

In the other bedroom I just have regular curtains and if anyone sleeps in there they wake up around 6am due to the amount of light coming through.

The best way I had for my room was pin 2 double sheets to the window which is great for summer for the light but means I have to spend a few minutes putting it up and another few taking it down in mornings and in winter is pitch black.

I had a little idea, if I folded the sheets and used safety pins to clip them to the curtains that way I can open and close the curtains as usual whilst keeping out most light.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Sorry for all the threads I just have a lot of little things I need help with.

Comments

• Wi88le
    Wi88le Posts: 168 Forumite
    Try blackout blinds or curtains, alternatively I'd be tempted to get either stick on Velcro hook and loop strips or magnets
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I pinned 2 grey fleece blankets to the inside of lined curtains, behind wooden blinds and it works really well as the edges of the fleeces fill the outside edges and it adds another insulation layer. (Ikea about £3 each) I have to say that I would have bought white ones but OH advised the darker ones... and he was right! ;) They are also light so easy draw with the curtains.
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Two blackout blinds, one cut to fit into the window reveal and a second one, left at the next supplied width greater than the window reveal, over it.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • What about a sleep mask? Would that help?
    Progress not perfection.

Seen on a mug: "I'm not so good with advice. May I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Sleep mask, slip it on when it gets too bright and steal another couple of hours sleep. Try 'mindfold' brand, not the cheapest but full blackout, no gaps around the nose, etc., as with cheaper ones.

A good and cost-effective blackout method is to apply kitchen foil to the glass with a little dilute washing up liquid. It's easily removed when you want to, too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure