Back extension - looking at inital budget

Options
wymondham
wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
Hi All

We have a semi here in Norfolk and are looking to put an extension on the back of the house. It will be brick built with pitched roof and several windows and patio door. it will be single storey 2.5m x 6m in size and will have a shower/toilet (maybe wetroom type??) in one part and utility room type kitchen units/sink in the other part.

I'm trying to get a rough cost in my mind to see if the project is a goer and keep seeing different costs per m2 quoted..... Does anyone have any nuggets of advice??? is £1.5k per m2 reasonable??

Comments

• chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Options
    £1.5k per sqm should get you a pretty decent finish
  • DRP
    DRP Posts: 4,275 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    we've been quoted 40k inc vat for a 4.5x4m extension (near Bristol).

a few pecularities/extra costs:
    *vaulted roof with 4xvelux
    *also adding w/c/utility within the existing house
    *terraced house with no access except through the house
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    thanks for the replies, much appreciated!
  • mishkanorman
    Options
    Im in the next borough over to you, we are getting a 6m by 7m kitchen lounge, a new hallway (2 1/2m by 2m) and a new bathroom (2 1/2m by 2m) pitched roof, large patio door, 3 windows, including demolishing existing garage and getting everything to plaster finish we are looking at 40k. Add on to that architect fees (we had a friend do ours but still cost £500) planning at £200 ish, building regs £600 ish and then whatever we need to spend on flooring/paint/lighting. We're hoping for 50 - 55k

If you can start to look for a builder asap, we found local ones are already booked up till June next year, feel free to pm any questions
    Bow Ties ARE cool :cool:

"Just because you are offended, doesnt mean you are right" Ricky Gervais :D
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Im in the next borough over to you, we are getting a 6m by 7m kitchen lounge, a new hallway (2 1/2m by 2m) and a new bathroom (2 1/2m by 2m) pitched roof, large patio door, 3 windows, including demolishing existing garage and getting everything to plaster finish we are looking at 40k. Add on to that architect fees (we had a friend do ours but still cost £500) planning at £200 ish, building regs £600 ish and then whatever we need to spend on flooring/paint/lighting. We're hoping for 50 - 55k

If you can start to look for a builder asap, we found local ones are already booked up till June next year, feel free to pm any questions

That is outrageously cheap. Like suspiciously cheap :o
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • mishkanorman
    Options
    Not really, there's no major structural work, it's quite a simple build and doesn't include the finishing touches. We've had it broken down into materials and labour and there's no VAT to pay. Plus, we're in Norfolk.

What would you expect it to be ?

• Doozergirl
    edited 30 November 2015 at 8:09AM
    Options
    Not really, there's no major structural work, it's quite a simple build and doesn't include the finishing touches. We've had it broken down into materials and labour and there's no VAT to pay. Plus, we're in Norfolk.

What would you expect it to be ?

For a start, I would expect VAT because £40k almost certainly puts one builder over the VAT threshold for a year's work. VAT is always payable on materials. You also sign away any comeback on the builder by avoiding VAT on labour.

If you are managing subcontractors yourself then I hope that the schedule of works is a very detailed one as I would still expect to struggle to bring one extension in at under £1000, even on subcontract, given that there are no VAT reductions on materials and the £1000 a metre was an old guide for new build, which is entirely exempt.

How can building an extension not include major structural work? You're creating a structure and tying it into an existing one.
  • mishkanorman
    Options
    There's no major structural work in regards to knocking through to the existing building.
    We are buying the materials so the builder doesn't have 40k of work, it's only labour costs we are paying.
    The subcontractors will be electric and plumbing, we've yet to receive quotes for the plumber.

As I said that isn't the finished product so it's actually going to be nearer 50-55k once completed I was giving the OP an idea of the cost of the build + finishing touches.

• Doozergirl
    Options
    There's no major structural work in regards to knocking through to the existing building.
    We are buying the materials so the builder doesn't have 40k of work, it's only labour costs we are paying.
    The subcontractors will be electric and plumbing, we've yet to receive quotes for the plumber.

As I said that isn't the finished product so it's actually going to be nearer 50-55k once completed I was giving the OP an idea of the cost of the build + finishing touches.

Then, with respect, you don't really know how much it's going to cost. :o

The budget at the beginning is always different to the price at the end and you don't have a full quote yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure