Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

Options

Comments

• Kev64
    Kev64 Posts: 126 Forumite
    Options
    Am I correct in thinking that because Scottish Power have announced an un-affordable price rise then I'm able to changer energy provider without being hit with the £50 cost to change early?.

I spoke to Scottish Power and the guy said that I could but I've just received an e-mail from another at Scottish Power saying that I'm stuck with them unless I pay the £50 cost to change early.
    Well, I spoke to SP this afternoon and the lady said that as the change is as a result of a price increase, no exit fees will apply - even if I moved to another supplier. Hope that helps !
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yep, you can notify them rejecting price rises and they can't charge you the exit fee
  • chopps
    chopps Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I'm a Scottish Power customer, my 1 year term ends in September, after the price hike takes effect.

Am I correct in thinking that because Scottish Power have announced an un-affordable price rise then I'm able to changer energy provider without being hit with the £50 cost to change early?.

I spoke to Scottish Power and the guy said that I could but I've just received an e-mail from another at Scottish Power saying that I'm stuck with them unless I pay the £50 cost to change early.

Surely they have broken our contract by sticking the price up so high?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You can change supplier without penalty fees by exercising your 'Right to Cancel' condition and they told me that provided the new supplier contacts Scottish Power within 15 days the early exit cancellation fee is waived.

They also have another tariff called online energy saver 14 that you can switch over to which will not increase in August.
    The energy tariff charges are about 8% higher than the current energy saver 13 and so a lot less than what 13 will be after the August increase.
  • rhodiedoh
    Options
    This is all so complex I am not suprised inertia sets in...Xmas 2010 I changed to Scottish Power; Online energy saver 11 after being with British Gas for ever!!Exhaustive research and now the huge price rise so back to it. Interested in the Co-Operative new dual fuel offer single charge for units regardless of volume, it seems so simple for a low user like me. not the cheapest deal but it is the most transparent..any thoughts?
  • AuntyJean
    AuntyJean Posts: 585 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been with npower for 3 plus years. Was on Save Online 18 but had a letter warning me this tariff would end at end of June and revert to standard tariff so I decided to check out the cheapest.

With my last bill and a projection for the next year, telling me how many units/kWh I had used in a year and what the price would be at my current rate I went to all three comparison websites. Using the projected figures provided on my last bill the first website told me my current annual bill was £1,800+ and I could save 45% by switching. Funny because my current projection said my annual bill would be £890!!!! In the end I decided to stay with npower on a fixed tariff and my bill will only increase by around £70 per annum.

The other two websites said they could not save me money. Presumably they did not know to project that my tariff was ending but I did not bother changing my tarrif to standard to compare!
    There is always light within the dark
  • Matt_EA
    Matt_EA Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    I am on Scottish Power's Online Energy Reward (dual fuel) tariff, which is fixed until 31 July 2011 after which I will be put onto their standard tariff.

I am just a bit confused by some of the wording they have used in an email I received from them today. Part of the Online Energy Reward is that you receive an account credit of £105 inc VAT if you stay on the offer. In the original T&Cs, it states that you will receive this "if you stay on this product until 7th June 2011".

However, in today's email, they say in the small print (footnote 1): "The Online Energy Reward discount of £105 (incl. VAT) for Dual Fuel will be credited to your account before 1st August 2011 as long as you have remained continuously on the Online Energy Reward product until that date". This differs from the original T&Cs as they seem to have moved the goalposts - I thought I only had to stay on the tariff until 7th June, see above?

Thanks for the tip from others about the cancellation charge being waived if I switch in the next 15 days - will ring EnergyHelpline in the morning to action this...

However, it looks like I'll have to ring Scottish Power up to get answers about the £105 'reward'/discount. Surely I am entitled to my money as I have stayed on the Online Energy Reward tariff until 7th June 2011? It sounds like they're trying to wriggle out of it! I'm worried that if I push through a supplier switch quickly before they've applied the credit, I won't get it at all.

Any thoughts out there? :think:
  • Tharweb
    Tharweb Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Matt_EA wrote: »
    I am on Scottish Power's Online Energy Reward (dual fuel) tariff, which is fixed until 31 July 2011 after which I will be put onto their standard tariff.

I am just a bit confused by some of the wording they have used in an email I received from them today. Part of the Online Energy Reward is that you receive an account credit of £105 inc VAT if you stay on the offer. In the original T&Cs, it states that you will receive this "if you stay on this product until 7th June 2011".

However, in today's email, they say in the small print (footnote 1): "The Online Energy Reward discount of £105 (incl. VAT) for Dual Fuel will be credited to your account before 1st August 2011 as long as you have remained continuously on the Online Energy Reward product until that date". This differs from the original T&Cs as they seem to have moved the goalposts - I thought I only had to stay on the tariff until 7th June, see above?

Thanks for the tip from others about the cancellation charge being waived if I switch in the next 15 days - will ring EnergyHelpline in the morning to action this...

However, it looks like I'll have to ring Scottish Power up to get answers about the £105 'reward'/discount. Surely I am entitled to my money as I have stayed on the Online Energy Reward tariff until 7th June 2011? It sounds like they're trying to wriggle out of it! I'm worried that if I push through a supplier switch quickly before they've applied the credit, I won't get it at all.

Any thoughts out there? :think:
    I spotted the change in wording from 7 June also, and I would be very interested to know what they tell you. Could you post back after you have spoken to them and let us know what they say.
    This site has saved me a fortune :money: ...it's also cost me a fortune! :doh:
    © Tharweb 2006 :D
  • Charlot
    Options
    Me too! Think they are being very crafty making you hold on to miss the fixed deals possibly?
    Will be interested to know how you get on. I'll be following up over the weekend myself so will post any news I have.
  • Matt_EA
    Matt_EA Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Tharweb wrote: »
    I spotted the change in wording from 7 June also, and I would be very interested to know what they tell you. Could you post back after you have spoken to them and let us know what they say.
    Just spoke to Scottish Power and the original T&Cs do apply, i.e. as we were still on the Online Energy Reward Offer on 7th June we will be receiving the account credit of £105 incl VAT. The lady I spoke to said these are being applied on a region-by-region basis, and ours would come next week (we are in East Anglia).

She also confirmed that the 'right to cancel' applies so they won't charge the normal fee for switching earlier than 31 July. So I guess that leaves the way clear for me to put through my supplier switch with EnergyHelpline! :T
  • vaderag
    vaderag Posts: 293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm moving into my first house on Friday and obviously want to fix the gas/elec as fast as possible.

Can anyone tell me - do i need to enter into the deemed contract with the current suppliers and wait to get an account number etc off them first, or can i set the wheels in motion now?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback