Ex girlfriend's bank statements still coming through the letter box?

Options
Apologises if this is the wrong section:

My ex girlfriend banks with TSB and was living with me for just over a year until we broke up very early on this year. Since then there's been numerous bank statements still coming through, and that's because she can't be bothered to change her address!

I messaged her many times telling her to change her address with her bank, but she claimed she'd do it, but also didn't want to as she was under the impression she'd be moving out and changing addresses again after a few months. Now it's six months after she's moved out and her statements are still coming through.

I've stopped giving them to her whenever I see her, instead I've been sending them back to the return address saying "Not at this address". But I've been doing this for about three months now and the statements are still coming through. Most of the reason we broke up in the first place was because she had this lazy, can't be bothered kind of attitude.

Another one just came through that I've sent back, but I just have a feeling that another one will come through the letterbox shortly.

Am I better off contacting TSB myself? What is my best course of action here? Because even if I message her to change things, she still won't

Comments

• ambroze
    ambroze Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    It's a bit harsh but yes, I'd call them. They may even stop her being allowed to make transactions on her account temporarily, which I think may prompt her to do something about it! You also don't want her financially linked to you if you own your property, as she could be in a lot of debt and this may affect your credit score.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ambroze wrote: »
    You also don't want her financially linked to you if you own your property, as she could be in a lot of debt and this may affect your credit score.
    Sharing an address does not create a financial link
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    They may even stop her being allowed to make transactions on her account
    The DVLA only needs an address where you can be contacted ; banks want to know where you sleep at might. You also want to make sure that your address doesn't get passed on to any debt collectors.

Apart from anything else ; if you get lucky, you don't want a date coming back to your place and finding post for another woman.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 July 2017 at 2:08PM
    Options
    You can complain to TSB even if it is not about your account. It's what I would do. Don't explain you tried to sort it with her - just say you have returned the post umpteen times with a note to stop using your address and you'd ask them to now actually do so.

https://www.tsb.co.uk/help/complaint-form/
  • ambroze
    Options
    Ah ok, I was constantly warned that this was possible in a past situation, but as I'm not an expert like you I'm relieved to be corrected!
  • ambroze
    Options
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    The DVLA only needs an address where you can be contacted ; banks want to know where you sleep at might. You also want to make sure that your address doesn't get passed on to any debt collectors.

Apart from anything else ; if you get lucky, you don't want a date coming back to your place and finding post for another woman.

I think if a 'date' came back for a night, it would be set off a few alarm bells to find her nosing through your mail ;)
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Geoff1963 wrote: »

colsten wrote: »
    Sharing an address does not create a financial link
    ambroze wrote: »
    It's a bit harsh but yes, I'd call them. They may even stop her being allowed to make transactions on her account temporarily, which I think may prompt her to do something about it! You also don't want her financially linked to you if you own your property, as she could be in a lot of debt and this may affect your credit score.

Regarding future loan/credit card transactions is the main reason why I'd like her to get her address changed. As far as I know, she doesn't have either of these but there's nothing stopping her in the future. I've contacted TSB's facebook page but he said we won't get any more letters, but sounds like the address will remain on her account so I probably will have to drop TSB a proper email.

I don't own my own home, I live with my parents who rent anyway so credit scores shouldn't be an issue, but still, none of us want debt collection letters coming through on behalf of her
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    They can't change her address on your say so.

But they should make the account dormant which should force her into a branch pretty sharpish when things stop working.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Youd be better off sending a covering letter rather just returning them.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I disagree with most of the above posts.
    Return the statements to the branch - just cross the address off and mark it 'no longer at this address'.

That should set a marker on her account so that cards and statements will no longer get posted out until the address has been updated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure