AC/DC G4 LED Bulbs, "Flicker", Lights Failing One By One! Any Advice Please?

I bought 20 x G4 LED bulbs from ebay, that were listed as AC/DC (there were also options for AC or DC varieties: I thought I'd be covering all bases by going for AC/DC).

I'm using them in a standing lamp which takes 10 x G4s.

LED bulbs aren't completely new to me: I have G9s (bought elsewhere) that have worked problem-free for a few weeks so far, and the Poundland Ultrabrite LED conventional bulbs currently in their stores.

Tried these G4s, five went off within half an hour! Tried replacing one of the dead ones, that lasted ten minutes! So that's six dead bulbs so far, out of twenty.

They "flicker" too, slightly, which is rather disconcerting.

Have I got a faulty batch or have I bought the wrong LEDs (re the AC, DC, AC/DC conundrum)?

Any light you can shed on this (ha) would be great! :)

PS: Also, I can see on Amazon a similar conversation thread, complaining about G4 LED bulbs failing quickly or flickering issues. One solution here:

"Replacing the old halogen bulbs with new LED bulbs is not always straightforward. Some people have good results, some don't. The reason is that LED lights need a different transformer from the halogens. Many of the old halogen transformers do not "recognise" the LED bulbs that are connected in the circuit and do not give enough or any power to drive them. The result is that the user thinks that the bulbs do not work, when in fact they maybe perfectly OK. If you have two or more halogen bulbs in one circuit, then typically you can leave one halogen in place and replace the others with LEDs. The single halogen should keep the LEDs in the same circuit working."

Tried replacing one bulb in the circuit with a Halogen: the dead LEDs didn't work. Tried replacing two, no joy.

Comments

• Myser
    Myser Posts: 1,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Does your standing lamp have a dimming option?
    If my post hasn't helped you, then don't click the 'Thanks' button! ;)
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    G4 bulbs (halogen or LED) require 12V DC. That is normally provided by a 240V AC to 12V DC transformer. (In your standing lamp I guess there is a single transformer). Transformers have a min+max load rating in VA (Volt Amps). For our purposes this is roughly equivalent to WATTS. The MIN load rating is significant because if the combined load is less than the MIN then strange things can happen e.g. flicker, lights don't come on, lights go out etc.

The other possibility is that if the combined load is less than the the min rating the transformer may pump out more volts and... blow the bulbs. But I'm not an electrician and don't know how likely this is in reality.

If your LED bulbs have blown I don't know how easy it is to get your money back. It depends whether the box/blurb says "12V constant voltage LED driver required" or "suitable to be used with a standard transformer and are designed as a direct retrofit for your existing GU4 fittings."

I would normally expect the LEDs to work when used with a combination of original halogens. (assuming one transformer). My suggestion won't help. Buy a new standing lamp.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • LouLou
    LouLou Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    @Myser, no, the floor lamp doesn't have a dimmer.

The bulbs that fail haven't blown, exactly, one moment they're on, then (a few) go off, but with halogens you can see an easily noticeable "blackness" in the bulb when they pop.

Maybe I should try using more halogens alongside the LEDs and see if that works (tried three halogens vs seven LEDs so far).

The flickering isn't that noticeable, it's very subtle, but definitely different to the constant light I get from my other LEDs. It's likely I'll have to go back to all-halogens with that lamp, I guess.
  • Myser
    Myser Posts: 1,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Try with a few more halogens compared to LEDs.

If it still flickers, it's likely that the output isn't regulated very well and isn't noticeable with the halogen bulbs.

Do you know anyone with a multimeter who can check the output of the power supply?

If you really want to use LEDs with the lamp, you may need to replace the transformer or try a different brand of LED.
    If my post hasn't helped you, then don't click the 'Thanks' button! ;)
  • LouLou
    LouLou Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks very much Myser, I'm beginning to realise LED bulbs are more hit and miss than I thought! I can ask a techie mate of mine to check the lamp when I next see him...it's about six years old or so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure