Theatre - how often do you go?

Comments

• dory22
    dory22 Posts: 193 Forumite
    everyday, i work in 2 of them 0_o just finished war horse, start wicked tomorrow. whats everyones favourite type of shows.
  • dory22
    dory22 Posts: 193 Forumite
    natnhay wrote: »
    Just came back from London watched Wicked Tuesday night and Matilda Wednesday afternoon,we purchased Matilda tickets on day of performance and paid £30 for £95 seats Bargain,show was fantastic too.We usually do a couple of shows a year if possible.
    day tickets are great, if you queue up on day outside theatre in london you can get good seats for about £30.
  • Once a month
    I go a lot - two or three times a week on average, but I always go for the cheap seats and see a lot of fringe theatre which can cost as little as £10. I also go to the Globe a lot which only costs £5 (for a standing ticket). I'm lucky in that I live in London so I have lots of great theatre on my doorstep. lastminute.com can be good for deals, and someone earlier in the thread mentioned day tickets - these can be good value too.
    Sealed Pot Challenge Number 1225
    £365 in £365 Days 2013
    No Buying Toiletries 2013
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Once a month
    I go a lot - probably about twice a month on average. I'm fortunate that I live close to a theatre which has lots of visiting productions, so we get to see a lot of really good productions (often pre- or post West End). I also go to London several times a year, and then there tend to be the occasional production elesewhere (for instance, last year I saw Maxine Peake's Hamlet with friends who live in Manchester, and a couple of things in the Amsterdam Fringe)

When I was younger I used to go almost every week, and get standing places (£2 a time, as far as I recall) but now I tend to go for better seats when I can - partly because I have more disposable income than I used to, and partly because I have some physical issues which mean I get quite uncomfortable sitting in cramped seats for any length of time.

I mainly tend to see plays rather than musicals, not because I don't enjoy musicals; I do, but if I only have time/funds to see one thing it will normally be a play over anything else.

My local theatre will be publishing its brochure for the new season soon, so I will no doubt be booking more things soon!
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Once a month
    Depends what's on but usually once a month, sometimes more often. Book of Mormon was good but soooo expensive. The Play that Goes Wrong was totally brilliant, and much cheaper!
  • Once a month
    On average probably once a month. London once a year and Stratford to the RSC once or twice a year - last year watched both parts of Henry IV the same day. More often though it is the Royal Exchange or Lowry in Manchester.

Very rarely see musicals (although the Merry Wives of Windsor with Judi Dench was good) but happy to see any sort of play including unusual / experimental ones (the recent HOME series in Manchester has been very good although none of the productions were actually in conventional theatres).
  • ziggycj
    ziggycj Posts: 306 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    West End - 2-3 times a year
    Regional - 1-2 time a month

I live in London but have really increased my theatre going over the last year as part of an employee benefits offer where I work.

I paid full West End price for tickets once. It was my first West End show and I didn't know any better...
  • Once a year
    I wish I could go more but it's always so pricey :( I know in NY they have a discount box office for the west end - does anyone know if we have something like that in the capital?
    :j“You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back.”:j
  • Once a month
    There is the TKTs booth in Leicester Square which sells cheaper tickets on the day for West End shows, but I think you can often get better deals online nowadays. Lastminute.com and Lovetheatre.com have good deals sometimes, as does http://www.timeout.com/london/theatre/tickets. Day tickets are on sale for most shows and cost usually between £10-£20, though sometimes you do have to start queuing early.
    Sealed Pot Challenge Number 1225
    £365 in £365 Days 2013
    No Buying Toiletries 2013
  • Hallen
    Hallen Posts: 5 Forumite
    Once every 6 months
    I do want to go but at times lack of money and at times lack of time. So I go at least twice a year. Hoping to increase numbers :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure