PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long does butter keep in the freezer?

Si_Clist
Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
edited 24 March 2015 at 7:34PM in Old style MoneySaving
Seeing as how Waitrose has currently got a worthwhile offer on the block butter we like (Kerrygold), I'm intent upon getting some to keep in the freezer. But how long can I reasonably expect to keep it frozen and it still be just like a block straight from the chiller is when I eventually defrost it?

(I did the obvious and emailed Kerrygold to ask them, but apparently it might be next Tuesday before I'm favoured with a reply ...)
A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

Comments

• krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've had butter frozen for months with no degradation - you may expect some loss of quality if it wasn't sealed properly, but other than that I'd imagine it would be fine indefinitely. Google answers seem to suggest a year for optimum flavour.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) I got a lot of butter a couple of years ago, silly cheap (8p a block) as it was on it's BBD. I froze it and ate it over the subsequent months, the oldest was about 10 months old when I finished it up. No apparent difference from unfrozen.

I'd buy big, if it's a sweet deal. Lots of peeps don't know it's freezable.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Butter keeps for ages even out of the freezer.

A barrel of butter from a 1930s shipreck was recently washed ashore here, well most of the barrel had rotted away but my work got some for testing and once they were a few inches-in, away from the marine life that had colonised the surface, the microbiologists reckoned most of the butter was still safe to eat. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure