PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

save on your electricity  

Options

Comments

• COS
    COS Posts: 550 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

havnt hung me drawers out since!!

tho i think scottish earwigs are a bit more discerning
    they prefer socks

I suppose the socks keep their little feet warm where as your drawers would keep falling down ;D
    Rememember. Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
    Never pass up an opportunity to go to the bathroom.
    If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance. And finally, be really nice to your family and friends; you never know
    when, You might need them to empty your bedpan.
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    well, its not that my drawers are that big  (now)  its just that earwigs dont have waists to hold them up.  ;D

whoops there I go

making inane comments again

::)
  • Bigpaul_4
    Bigpaul_4 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry but i dont understand why any moneysaver would use the dryer other than in an emergency. Isnt this the 'Money saving old style' board???

I hang my washing out all year round and only use the dryer 2-4 times a year. Lots of washing gets dried on the clothes horse which can go in or out depending on the weather.

Think of both the money saved and the co2 reduction by drying naturally!!
    Not to mention the crispy dried clothes!!!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm with you on this one, Figjam! Only use my tumble drier in cases of dire emergency!!!!! ;)
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    of course your both right, but when this was posted it was in the tips column since when in the last few days the mod there shifted it over to here

its not old style money saving using the dryer but I must bow to the fact I have a lot of seagulls around here and lots of Bats if you leave the washing out after dusk eek

so the dryer it has to be for me

:D
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't got a drier or a garden, it all goes in a rack over the bath :'(

*plays melancholy violin music ;)*
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I really think dryers are the bees knees, I hate washing all over the place, but my mum has a dryer and takes her stuff out of the automatic, puts it in the little spinner and its almost dry when it comes out, then she puts it on the rack over the bath, and tumbels it for 5 mins to make sure its not damp( or youll catch the lurgy wearing anything damp) and thats her sorted. talk about make a meal of it

my aunty, mums sister, washes all her clothes and sheets and towels BY HAND before putting them in the washing machine

likewise her dishes before going in the dishwasher

must run in the family ???
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    My tumble dryer runs on gas so do I qualify for saving electric if I use it?

I use most of the time because it is really efficient and it can almost dry a load in the time I take to get it out on the line and back in, also I don't like the scratchy texture of line dried clothes. Tumble dried and folded or hung up saves ironing.

Never tried the bath towel trick, must suggest it to my children who always have to dry the favourite t shirt or whatever before going out.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Careful_Shopper_3
    Options
    Thank you Cathy - the bath towel in the drier worked a treat!

May be you should have your own board 'Ask Cathy' how to ......... you sure have some good tips up your sleeve as well as bugs in yer pants!!!!!
  • pitspray
    Options
    Hello Folks, Here's a tip when using your washing machines.
    Most washing machines live not far from a kitchen. Before you switch on your washing machine, ALWAYS run your hot water tap in the kitchen until it runs HOT This clears the pipe (up to that point) of all the cold water which would normally have been taken in to fill your washing machine.
    Depending on how far away the watertank/boiler is from your machine, it could mean the machine heating about a gallon less than usual. Results in quicker washing times, cheaper hot water bill, longer washing machine life and more time to stand guard looking for earwigs :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure