"Tinny sound" on new TV

Bought a 22inch Logic Led TV with built in DVDplayer for the bedroom and the sound is awful. :(

I know you get what you pay for and owing to the "slimness" of TV's now, this is a problem.

I have tried altering the settings but can't see it makes much difference.

Is there anything I can do to improve the sound such as speakers etc?

I think it's ridiculous that they have made all these advancements in TV technology, but then you have to start adding things to it to make it acceptable.

Comments

• closed
    closed Posts: 10,886 Forumite
    if you've tried all the settings to no avail, buy an amp and speakers or soundbar
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
  • Redvee
    Redvee Posts: 140
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If it's any help there are plenty more in the DSG warehouse should you want a replacement. Approx 15,000 were unloaded on sunday night.
  • mart44
    mart44 Posts: 218
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 16 November 2011 at 10:34AM
    Does the TV have an audio-out socket? I bought an LG TV that had tinny sound. Running the sound through an old tuner/amplifier and a pair of Wharfdale bookshelf speakers worked well. This could be an answer if you have a redundant amplifier and speakers looking for a use and the space to set them up (I can never bring myself to get rid of old hi-fi items). The tuner/amp is something extra to turn on when running the TV but that's much less of an annoyance than listening to the poor sound.

I've got a 22" Sony LCD TV that sounds fine as it is. So it is possible to produce acceptable sound within the confines of the slim design. Some manufacturers seem to be able to make a better job of this than others.
    Error! - Keyboard not attached. Press any key to continue.
  • OK_Sauce
    OK_Sauce Posts: 988
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Even a cheap pair of pc speakers plugged into the headphone socket will improve the sound of a lot of flat screen TVs!
    "...IT'S FRUITY!"
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The general expectation these days seems to be that people don't buy TVs as stand-alone items - they're bought to be used with honkin' big surround-sound systems, so the sound system is regarded as a separate entity.
  • Long-haul Supporters DFW 120
    Debt @ LBM (October 2007): £55187
    Debt Now (April 2014): £0
    Debt-free-date: [STRIKE]July[/STRIKE] April 2014 :j:j:j
  • Unfortunately, a lot of the less expensive lcd TV's do suffer from this. If it is really bad then it might be a genuine fault with the TV.

Have a search around avforums for your TV model to see if there's any tips or advice there.
  • Esqui
    Esqui Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    See if you can hear another one (maybe in store). They should have relatively decent sound compared to other similarly-priced TVs, but recently I've had a few returned because of poor sound
    Squirrel!
    If I tell you who I work for, I'm not allowed to help you. If I don't say, then I can help you with questions and fixing products. Regardless, there's still no secret EU law.
    Now 20% cooler
  • moonpenny
    moonpenny Posts: 2,430
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thank You! everyone for advice on speakers and Soundbar - never heard of it!

My main TV is a Sony and has great sound so I guess you get what you pay for.

As a matter of interest, because the LCD TV's are thicker (as opposes to the LED's) - does that mean they will have better sound quality?

Might end up taking it back an getting another one. Can't see the point of having all sorts plugged into it. That was the whole point of an LED for it to be more "streamlined" and uncluttered.
  • With all due respect thin plastic enclosures and their puny speakers can't compare for sound as opposed to say these images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaMbZN9nd2oUU5i3BCEbsiZZQ4K86KDjBoCMB7rD65hW6SFViJ
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure