PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Drying oranges for decorations

Morning everyone, I have searched the forum and can't find the answer so please forgive me if i'm repeating anything. I'm about to start the xmas decorations and want to try to do some homemade ones but not sure how I dry out orange slices. Also I know this is abit of a silly question but do I just use normal oranges.... Thanks in advance ;)

Comments

• i think you just slice them and put tehm in the oven for a few mins,,i'm sure someone wiser will be along shortly!!;)
    Dont cry because it's over,
    Smile because it happened.

sealed pot challenge 3 #865
    Jan NSD 10/10:j Jan groc. challenge €169.18/€400
    Dec NSD ??/10 Dec.grocery challenge €230/€400:rolleyes:
  • You'll need to put the over on a very very low temperature - as low as it gets or pilot setting - or you'll end up with cooked orange slices (yummy but not what you're going for). Line the trays with greaseproof to stop the slices sticking and leave them in there for hours and hours but check them often. If they're getting cooked more than dried then take them out to cool down.

You can also do it by just putting them in warm place on tray - my mum does them over her aga but I imagine over a radiator would be ok. :D
  • Yep normal oranges are what you use. I slice them, sit them on kitchen roll for a couple of hours, pat them dry then sprinkle with salt and put them in the airing cupboard for a few days (turning occasionally if you remember). It helps to use a drinking straw to make little holes near one edge when they're not fully dry - this is for threading the ribbon later! Oven-drying works too I hear, though I'm a cheapskate and don't want to use the oven when time does as good a job.

They look so beautiful hung with red organza ribbon and with fairy lights twinkling through them. So far everyone (ok, everyone female and about 2 of the men) who has visited has asked where I got them.
  • These I saw in Fortnums ,three small slices in a net bag along with a small stick of cinnamon priced at £8.00.Needless to say I didn't buy any but did mine at home on kitchen top on the top of a radiator. Cost the price of a couple of oranges and some kitchen roll about 60p
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Last year I put thick-ish slices on the radiator and they dried beautifully, then I hung them on some wood branches with red ribbon and they looked really good, people commented on them when they visited!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    Oh GOSH I'm going to have to do these! woopeeeee! Radiator all the way. Would you put them direct on the radiator or with paper in between? Silly question?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• HariboJunkie
    HariboJunkie Posts: 7,740 Forumite
    To make them even prettier and nice and smelly I stud the rind of each slice with cloves all the way round before drying. ;)
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    I'm going to have to do some of these too they sound great! Zippy I think that the kitchen roll will stop the oranges sticking to the radiator and make it a lot easier than cleaning it :eek: I bet that greaseproof paper would work just as well. I can't put mine on the radiators as the dogs would think I'd kindly put a free buffet out :rotfl: I'll stick to the airing cupboard method I think!
  • sassyblue
    sassyblue Posts: 3,783 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks so much for this thread l was going to ask myself because l forgot where l saw the earlier thread! Someone always beats me to it though, great minds lol....

Happy moneysaving all.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    sassyblue wrote: »
    Thanks so much for this thread l was going to ask myself because l forgot where l saw the earlier thread! Someone always beats me to it though, great minds lol....

i had visions of you talking to yourself , asking yourself how to do it :rotfl:

Haribo - lovin the cloves idea:j:j:j My Mum already thinks my orange studded with cloves is funnily cute. Wait til she sees these

Sunnygirl - great thanks! I have both. Woundn't have though doggies would eat oranges! :rotfl:
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family