Georgian Bar Windows

Finally saved some money to replace some windows, looking for white upvc, I really like the georgian bar,before I started asking for quotes from firms I was wondering if anyone knew if the georgian bar really pushes up the price?. I figure its the same frame just different glass but wanted to know if the price difference is horrendous, eg double the cost?

Thanks

Comments

• gallagher30
    gallagher30 Posts: 53 Forumite
    Absolutely - Georgian Bar makes the price more expensive. I would estimate between 12 and 30% increase depending on the particular windows.

PM me with the quote details when all received and I'll let you know if it seems fair.

Gallagher30
  • Thanks Gallagher, I can live with 12-30% difference - better than what I thought.
    Time to get on that phone I think, can anyone recommend a window firm in Liverpool, surrounding areas?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,780
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 May 2010 at 11:24PM
    We came across 'astragals'. We buy our windows direct from the manufacturer now (cheap!) and this time we have astragals. It looks just like a proper bar but it isn't which means that they use only one double glazed unit instead of two (or more). It did add something to the cost (I think about 10% for four in a window) but nowhere near as much as proper upvc sash and it looks so much better than the pieces of plastic that they used to insert inside the units - really solid and quite elegant. (Go for dummy sashes on the non-openers and sash horns too for really good looking windows!)

We've just had some fitted with astragals and they look fab - shame about the rest of the house!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,647
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Plain glass is best..bars can go out of fashion and i think they look hideous.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • dander
    dander Posts: 1,766
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think if you pay the extra to get the windows that are right for the house, it's worth every penny. Windows are such a big part of the look of the exterior of a house -get the right window for the architecture of your house and you'll easily get the extra back in house price and saleability.

It's noticable round my way as well, where virtually the entire town was defaced with bad double glazing in the 80s, that as soon as one person in a street replaces the windows with the right ones, there's a sudden flurry as everybody else wants their house to look that good too.
  • sashman
    sashman Posts: 318
    First Post
    Forumite
    edited 25 May 2010 at 9:52PM
    good comments from doozergirl,

Gbars on the surface add greatly to the look, and character, bars in the sealed units are old hat , look flat, boring and STAY clean, NO I mean they stay so clean they stick out like a sore thumb from the frames!

BEWARE many companies have tried alsorts of tapes/glues etc and all will say they are good. Most WONT guarantee the stick on bars, most HAVENT had them BBA tested.

We have, and we do guarantee them, but we use georgi clips and tape to keep them attached......forgood.

IF you really want great windows ask for wood white foil, again it adds to the cost, but as dander says, once someone gets it right, wwod white foil, deep georgian bars, butt jointed bars, puttyline glazing, the rest of the street wants the same.

sashman
    Buying quality goods which last, should be an investment that saves money. :T
    Buying cheap products which fail, wastes money and costs twice as much in the long run. :mad:

• pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Plain glass is best..bars can go out of fashion and i think they look hideous.

chacun à son goût though, Mabebe, eh?

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure