Playa Blanca, Lanzarote, Guide

Comments

• woohoo
    woohoo Posts: 377 Forumite
    Hi,
    I am also off to the holiday village - Flamingo Beach. Does anyone know how the work is progressing? - we are going in June!!
    Thanks
  • jenni2777
    jenni2777 Posts: 56 Forumite
    the complex is now finished and the beach is to be completed by 15th june .thats what ive heard off tripadvisor.
  • Hello, I realise the bus services have been mentioned before so I apologise, anyway, im staying in a villa in costa papagayo and I was just wondering how far from playa blanca centre it is, and is there a regular bus service from this area? Thank you x
  • greg1964
    greg1964 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 26 May 2010 at 7:14PM
    Hi - Just booked up a villa in Fargo Park for October and was just wanting to know when the sun goes down at that time of year (The villa advertises unobscured views of the lighthouse so hopefully will be lucky to see some great sunsets). I see that you can expect a good 7 hours of sunshine but there is no indication of when the sun gets up and when it retires for the day!
  • Hi. Thanks for all the useful information about Playa Blanca.

I have a few questions I hope you wouldn't mind helping with.

I have booked to stay at a villa in Costa Papagayo on 2nd sept for a week with my sons.

I'm really not sure about hiring a car as I'm nervous about driving on the right etc. Would we manage ok without one? I do want to see as much of the island we can so was thinking of booking the grand tour. Is it cheaper to wait until we get there? I'm quoted 55 euros each and that seems a lot. I think that the car wouldn't get used on many days as there is a lot to see around Playa Blanca.

Are there any shops near enough to Costa Papagayo so that we could get some shopping and walk back? I'm told there are some mini-markets at nearby apartments/hotels.

Also in the evenings, I have 2 teenagers to entertain! Are there any live music or shows around? Do the hotels/apartments nearby allow us to go in
    to see entertainment if we're buying drinks?

I'd be most grateful for your advice. Can't wait to visit!
  • Elle1971
    Elle1971 Posts: 349 Forumite
    Sorry I haven't popped back in guys.... I didn't get an alert to say there were new messages.

But anyhoo - I'll jump in for now as it looks like the earlier questions are sorted. but if I've missed anything - do yell!

Right - car hire first. Don't worry... the roads are wide and well signposted. The most complicated bit is actually coming out of the airport itself... but once out, the rest is plain sailing (or should that be driving?).

To be honest... the price for the Grand Tour is about right. You can get it cheaper, but with booking large groups... so not an option for the two of you really hon. However, I would recommend seeing as much of the island as you can - and definitely do the volcano tour. If in a hire car, then it's only about €8 each-... and about a 20 minute drive each way from Playa Blanca.

Costa Papagayo is one of my favourite parts of Playa Blanca - we have a number o9f friends there... so you must have booked a lovely villa!!! No... unless there is a minimarket in the Hotel (Sun Tropical is it?) that is on the edge of that area, then it's a bimble into town. But don't worry. You can walk to the biggest and best supermarket in town in about half an hour from your place... and then a taxi back would only cost about €3. To be honest it's better doing it that way as you'd save a fortune on your groceries. Of course if you have a hire car, then it's even easier. (Note to Elle - put maps in the original post that show supermarkets etc)

There is a bus that goes from not far from there... that will take you about 10 mins to walk to the bus stop. To be fair, you might as well walk another 10 minutes and be in toan - hope that helps, Emma

Live Music / Entertainment
    All the hotels I know of are happy to let you in during the evenings, yes as long as you are buying drinks. I don't know what the Sun Tropical's entertainment is like... but you'll find various stuff in town. Nearest commercial centre to you is CC Papagayo. Not sure what age your sons are - so could probably make some more specific recommendations for them when knowing that.

Sunset times in October
    Hi Greg. I think it sets at around about quarter past / half past nine at that time of year (it's about 15 minutes off setting as I type - for June) but of course I would bow to the knowledge of an expert on that. It's quite a fast sunset here... and just before then is lovely and warm! Dinners and BBQs on terrace time!!

Playa Flamingo
    The beach is still not completed... and work is a lot slower than everyone has been told. It's not too far off - but no way will it be completed by mid June. Saying that, the beach is still useable at one end and doesn't get packed so it's fine - or if the fencing offends you... then head East to Playa Dorada up the other end. Bus every half hour all day (€1.15 each way)

Hope that helps guys - but if I've missed anything - then please do yell!

Elle xxx

PS: Weather is fantastic right now! We've just had a heatwave - yeehaw!!!:T
    I'm not easily distracted, I just... ... ... oh my god it's a puppy!!
  • nottslass_2
    nottslass_2 Posts: 1,765 Forumite
    Elle, Hope you don't mind but I've got a couple of questions for you .....

We've got a Villa booked for July,its at Rubicon Player,Caleta De Sebo ( hopefully that means something to you)

Anyway,could you tell me ,is the general location OK ? and will we be ok without a hire car ?

Also,as we're staying for a whole month:j:j:jCould you tell me which is the best, ie biggest & cheapest supermarket to stock up in.

Now for a really bizarre question.......... I don't suppose you know whether Aptimil Baby milk is readily available in the shops ? (I'm cluthching at straws with that one. lol)

Many Thanks to you and this thread -I'll be printing it off before we go.
  • Elle1971
    Hi there Nottslass!
    I had to Google "Caleta de Sebo" because I'd never heard of it... and the results suggested it was on the tiny neighbouring island of Graciosa. But as you seem sure it's in Playa Blanca - then maybe it's an area I simply haven't spotted yet. Rubicon Playa? Hmmm... do you mean Rubicon Palace? Or Rubicon Marina? Both at different ends of the town. Both nice areas. Yes you will be fine without a hire car. Rubicon Palace area is about a 20-30 minute amble into town... and maybe slightly less from Rubicon Marina. Both both directions bring you along a lovely promenade... and it's a lovely walk.

A month eh? You've just turned all the readers of this thread green with envy! No problems with the supermarkets. On the original post (which I updated last night) there is a link to a map that you can zoom in and out with. At the western end of the resort is Ropers. Hubby and I use that for our main shopping as it's not too expensive, and the quality of meat and veg is bang on! You will need to get the bus (number 30) up to Los Coloradas, and then bus back, or grab a taxi. Buses are every half an hour. Do ask the driver to let you know when you are at Los Coloradas though... or just jump off when you are in front of a white and peach commercial centre that has a kiddies adventure playground in front of it. You will have already come OUT of the town centre at that point... so don't confuse it with the adventure playground IN the town.

Also... in the town centre is Hiperdino. Again there are good prices and a wide selection - so if you don't fancy going to Ropers, then Hiperdino should be fine for you.

Avoid buying brand named foods - as you'll pay through the nose. Don't worry... the local stuff is absolutely fine. You'll struggle with fresh milk (as it will have turned before you even get it home) but everything else should be okay for you. English bread is best to buy frozen from Hiperdino or Ropers. They flit between Kingsmill... and Jacksons. the Jacksons is okay - but we prefer Kingsmill. It's pricier than Blighty of course, because we have to import it. But for us... it's our taste of the Uk, and best for bacon butties. Speaking of bacon - if it's English stuff you want... then ONLY buy it from Ropers as it's REALLY expensive everywhere else.

Both supermarkets are marked on that map I mentioned.

I've not seen Aptimil baby milk here I'm afraid - although you could try the Farmacias. I'd advise you bring your own... if your little one won't take anything else. And if littlun is on baby food already - then Hiperdino has a good range of baby desserts - all of which are organic.

Hope that helps a little. If you need any more help - then just yell! xxxx
  • nottslass_2
    nottslass_2 Posts: 1,765 Forumite
    Thanks for the great reply Elle.

I'm pretty sure that we are nearest to the Rubicon marina -The Villa blurb says its situated about 20 Min's walk away.

Not long to go now,I've just got to book the transfers (have decided against a hire car now).Getting really excited at the thought of going on Holiday for a whole month,its a one off as I'm on Maternity leave & DP has managed to get the time off work.............

Thanks again
  • Elle1971
    Ah - then you'll not be too far from Ropers supermarket... and a half decent Hiperdino too! I'm about 10/15 mins walk from the Marina... so I'm guessing you must be closer to the Los Coloradas end there.

Re: transfers - have a look at the link in the original post. His prices are good... and if you book a private transfer, and mention my name... then he should give you a discount. He won't discount on shared transfers I'm afraid - but they're a great price anyway.

Have a fantastic time!

Elle xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure