Rough idea for cost of hanging victorian door

Options
Hi all,

I live in a victorian terrace and would like to get a door hung between the dining room and kitchen. kitchen is obv the extension so the doorway between is about 45cm deep and at present completely smooth.

i would like to buy a reclaimed victorian door and rim lock and get it fitted. assume i would also need a strip of wood added for door to close against.

Just wondered roughly what I would be looking at to get it done as imagine its more complicated than a standard interior door. I can get the door for about £45 from a local yard but the main consideration will be the cost of fitting.

Or do you think its something a novice diyer could attempt? Assume i need to nail a strip of wood around the current opening for the door to close against and chisel out two bits for the hinges one side side of the frame and one bit for the rim lock on otherside?

I live in East Anglia

:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j

Comments

• wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    I had a number of doors replaced last year, was charged £40 per door to get them hung. But you are also asking about a door lining , but not a big job.
    Or do you think its something a novice diyer could attempt?

A reasonable competent diy er who took their time , could do it .
    I would have hung a couple of doors, but not eleven which is the number I had done. And to add to that an internal door is a LOT lighter than a front door .....a job I would never do again.
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    By the time that you had hung eleven doors you would probably be fairly good at it.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    27col wrote: »
    By the time that you had hung eleven doors you would probably be fairly good at it.

Yes but it would have taken me the best part of two weeks, I have never said I was very quick. The number of tea breaks never help.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To set in a door liner, door stop and hang a door, expect to psy a days money.

It'll cost between £130 and £200 depending on where you are based.

Make sure the door width is the same size as the opening minus 45mm. This will allow for a 22mm lining set.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure