Saniflo nightmares!

Options
Fraye
Fraye Posts: 2 Newbie
Combo Breaker First Anniversary
Not sure if im posting in the right place sorry. Ive only been living in my current flat for 4 months and had a plumber out at least 5 times. Saniflo's are horrendous thigs to deal with.
This morning the mercarator stopped working and I have no clue what the reason for it is. I mean I've already applied every possible rule to the toilet as I can. No bleach, no more than 5 pieces of toilet paper at a time (tear flush, tear flush). Use cheap thin toilet paper to make sure no blockage. No foreign objects to the toilet I even keep my long hair as far away from the toilet as possible.
The mercarator is newly fitted after we moved in and it has been cleaned out(unblocked).

Any ideas?

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Move if you rent.
    They never really work reliably.
  • DirectDebacle
    Options

The mercarator is newly fitted after we moved in and it has been cleaned
    out(unblocked).

They come with a 2year warranty and it needs to be registered here.

I have installed several of these and they give reliable trouble free service provided they are installed and used correctly. Of course it is always possible that you have one that has a manufacturing fault. Take advantage of the warranty to get it repaired or replaced.
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    The word you are looking for is macerator. Nasty things from what I have read on this forum..
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • yangptangkipperbang
    Options
    They never really work reliably.
    I had one for years and it behaved faultlessly !
    27col wrote: »
    Nasty things from what I have read on this forum..

Most of the things you read about Saniflos on this forum are from people who have never had one..................

As DD has already said the biggest problem with a Saniflo is the people that use them !!! Use them as per the instructions and you will have no problems. You don't have to use 5 sheets of cheap, thin toilet paper; but they don't like quilted paper or baby wipes, the instructions tell you that - but who reads those ??

I would have no problem installing another if I needed an extra loo without having to put in full sized drains.
  • Fraye
    Options
    I had one for years and it behaved faultlessly !

Most of the things you read about Saniflos on this forum are from people who have never had one..................

As DD has already said the biggest problem with a Saniflo is the people that use them !!! Use them as per the instructions and you will have no problems. You don't have to use 5 sheets of cheap, thin toilet paper; but they don't like quilted paper or baby wipes, the instructions tell you that - but who reads those ??

I would have no problem installing another if I needed an extra loo without having to put in full sized drains.

Frankly, until I moved in, I had no clue what the box was or what it did. I get told what it was by my family member. Right after I moved in I did my research went on an official saniflo website and read the do's and don'ts as they don't supply those with a tenancy agreement I'm afraid.

I have used it right and have not thrown anything down the toilet.
    The tenant before me has had a terrible habit of throwing whatever comes her way and this is why I'm in such a mess now and no usable toilet.
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I deal with them regularly - unfortunately !

They are ok if they don't get misused which they do in the places where I deal with them.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We had one in our old house, it was in a small downstairs toilet so it was wee only, it still regularly stopped working, we had so many problems while it was under guarantee that someone from saniflo came to have a look at it, they told us there was a blockage in the pipe that had caused all our problems, we asked to look at said pipe and as we expected there wasn't a blockage.

We got rid after eighteen months and had a proper toilet installed.
  • I_have_spoken
    Options
    Just 'go' at work, then you'd being paid to poo and no worries with the saniflo
  • yangptangkipperbang
    Options
    muckybutt wrote: »
    I deal with them regularly - unfortunately !

They are ok if they don't get misused ..................

My point exactly ............!
  • I had a Saniflo for years. Used to get a limescale buildup on the diaphragm which stopped it switching off. When kicking it failed, I tipped a load of acid down it to shift the scale. Eventually the diaphragm stopped working. Sadly Saniflo had changed the design of the diaphragm and I couldn't get the new one to seal. Eventually bought one on ebay. Worked perfectly from then on.
    I was so fast at removing the lavatory and undoing the pipes (in a very constricted space) from the sink and shower to get it out I reckon I could easily have got a job with Saniflo.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure