PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

washing a duvet

Whats the best way to wash and dry a single duvet?

I may sound a bit thick but should i tumble dry it or leave to dry naturally? Its a hollow-fibre one not a posh feather one.

Thank you ;D

Comments

• lswwong
    lswwong Posts: 407 Forumite
    I wash mine at the laundrette where they have a giant washing machine very handy for duvets and pillows. My duvets are hollowfibre. In fact, washed one last weekend.

Then brought it home to dry naturally on an airing rack. It worked well. In the winter, it does take at least 2 days to dry and the results are fine. Would like to think that at least I am saving energy! Though just thinking about it, if someone is allergic to dust mite, tumble-drying a hollow fibre duvet after a wash might help kill them off.
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I put mine in the washing machine, it just about fits. Then I hang over on the washing line, or the bannister upstairs if it's raining.
    Bulletproof
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If it wont fit in your washing machine and you dont have a laundrette near you

throw it away as you can replace them for £7.99 now a days. But if you want to keep it, it should fit in the machine Id do it twice to make sure it got good and done though.

if your going to put it in the big dryer in the laundrette put a couple of tennis balls in with it and it will fluff it up no end

;D ;D
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    well i went down the launderette today and the duvet has come up lovely ;D With the nice weather i have got here no need for a tumble dryer been on the line all day and no perfectly dry.

Little Miss divadee is gonna be chuffed with her lovely clean duvet.

And it only cost £4 which i thought was good as seen as i used the big machine much cheaper than the dry cleaners. ;D
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    grrrreat

the nearest laundrette to me is about 180 mile away, I remember putting a quilt in the bath and stomping up and down on it for ages then letting it drain for hours over the soap rack then trying to get it dry,
    but I was stupid and skint then, (now I'm no longer skint) ;)

mind you  I feel like wishy washy here sometimes

where does the flamin washing come from  ??? ???

theres only the two of us!!
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    I had this dilema about the lightweight quilt we use in summer. It is a kingsize so a bit big for the washer.

Laundrette would cost about £5 but solved the problem yeaterday, got a new 4.5 tog quilt from Dunelm for £6.

The singles and doubles are cheaper!
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I  know, by the time youve tramped to the laundrette and paid the money and if you use it, the dryer money
    you can buy a new one

they look nicer on the bed as well, they fill the quilt cover better

;D
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Do I have to have my feather/down duvet dry cleaned? I finally got around to putting the summer duvet on the bed this weekend & the winter one is filthy! Will sticking it in the washing machine ruin it? I can't find a label on it to tell me what to do with it.
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    you would really need to take it to the laundrette and the big dryer   if you leave it slightly damp itll hum  good and proper

should be ok if you wash it but they are NEVER the same  and never as warm

bout every 2 years I just chuck the old one and get a new one   usually feather and down   when you think if you spend £50 on it its 50 p a week for 2 years

and so on

I have a very expensive pure down quilt stashed away that I would get cleaned when needed. the dog sneaks in and jumps on the bed at nights  so theres no way hes going to wreck that quilt

when he dies   Ill get it out of its space saver bag   lol
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ask around the school playground/office/church wherever and find out if anyone you know has an american top loading washer. There are more of them about than you would think. They easily fit a double duvet in them.

I wash all my friends, neighbours and families duvets and sleeping bags.

I sometimes dry my duvet 'on the line' with good results but always end up with something that smells like a wet dog when I try it with pillows.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure