PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipe Collection Thread (recipe board)

Comments

• pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    i have the most amazing recipe to share with you all! its was on an uncle bens ad in a magazine, and it is just lovely!

its like a non-spicy jambalaya, and looks/feels realy exotic - a nice change from the traditional dinner stuff

ingredients:

450g pork chipolatas, chopped into small pieces
    2 large onions
    a butternut squash
    2 chicken stock cubes
    350g long grain rice
    4 tbsp tomato ketchup
    600ml boiling water

method

1. chop and slice 2 large (spanish?) onions (it looks like a lot but they really reduce down.

2.prepare the squash. firstly, give it a good wash. take a sharp knife and chop it in half down the middle, then again into quarters. use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and fibrous bits just like you would with a melon or pumpkin. then slice the squash into 5mm slices. (you will probably find that half of squash is more than enough)

3. melt some butter in a wok, and when hot, add the onions, some salt, pepper, and a tsp of soft brown sugar if you wish. cook until caramalised, taking care the onions do not stick to the wok and burn. when they are cooked to your liking, add the chiploatas, and cook through.

4. when the chipolatas are sufficiently cooked, add the squash and heat through.

5. next add the tomato sauce, rice, water and crumble in the chicken stock. bring to boil, and allow to simmer until the rice has absorbed the water and is suitably tender.

you are best off cooking for a longer time over a moderate heat, otherwise the rice burns and sticks to the bottom of the wok :o

when the rice is cooked to your liking, dish up and serve. we had it with a bags of chip shop chips as a treat, and it was absolutely divine. i havent tried itlike this yet, but i bet it would be fab cold as well...it seems like the type of thing to go all sweet and sticky.

i cant wait to make this again, let me know what you all think of it :D

p_d
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    A friend cooked this for me last week - it is really filling and tasty and not at all expensive!

Sausage and Tomato Pasta

Ingredients (feeds two and can easily be increased)
    2 -3 sausages
    garlic
    small onion
    tinned tomatoes
    splash of wine or stock or water
    1 medium carrot
    pinch dried mixed herbs
    cheese (optional for serving)
    pasta

Method
    cut some sausages into small 1/2 - 1 inch pieces. Brown in a frying pan with a clove or two of garlic and a chopped onion for 5 mins/until cooked. Add wine (or equivalent) and cook for 5 mins/until evaporated, add tined tomatoes. You might not need the whole tin, so use your judgement when adding. Grate carrot into frying pan and mix in herbs. Cook for 10 mins or so until carrot soft and is desired consistency.

serve with pasta and cheese on top.

Let me know if you try it :D

A tip from maryb
    Try it with cider instead of wine - it's really good with pork sausages. I skin the sausages first (helps if they're still slightly frozen).. then i mix it with cooked pasta shapes and add some leftover broccoli florets or lumps of frozen spinach and top the lot with cheese sauce and brown in the oven It's a bit like lasagne but yummier ( according to my fussy eater of a daughter).

I agree it definitely helps to drain the tin of tomatoes so it's not too liquid
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • BoltonMinx
    BoltonMinx Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Mmmm Mmmm Tasty Baileys Banana Treat
    (This is a lowish sugar dessert I made up when I became diabetic)

Serves 2

Takes about enough time to do it during the ads ;)

2 ripe bananas
    2 tablespoons Bailey
    1 tub Muller Light chocolate yoghurt
    1 teaspoon chocolate chips (optional)

Chop bananas into 1 inch chunks.
    Split between two dessert dishes / cups.
    Open the yoghurt and add the Baileys.
    Pour over banana's.
    Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top.
    Serve and feel virtous

* Or try chocolate covered peanuts / raisins ;)
    "There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

:A ~~~ S
    pread some good Karma ~~~ :A
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    After searching for recipes last night for Bread and Butter Pudding, and not finding any that looked overly inspiring, i thought i'd make my own. Bear in mind that i'm a bloke and any kind of weighing or measuring were deemed completely unnessecary. But damn it tasted good...

ingredients...
    1 medium brioche loaf (20p yellow stickered in morrisons)
    handful of currants
    an apple, chopped pretty small
    squirty honey
    demerera sugar
    some butter
    3/4 - 1 pint milk
    2 eggs
    a couple tbps sugar
    small splash vanilla essence

Butter the bread, then stack in a greased pyrex dish in layers, scattering some currants, apple and a thin swirl of honey between each layer.

stick a decent sized knob of butter in a saucepan, add milk, eggs, sugar vanilla and keep mixing until hot and thickened. then pour straight over bread.

shake the bowl about, and maybe poke some holes and lift with a knife to make sure the custard gets to the bottom. then sprinkle with a bit of demerera and put in a medium oven (170 ish) until nice and brown.

and enjoy with some nice ice cream.... YUM
  • sunnth
    sunnth Posts: 234 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    These are very moreish but full of fairly healthy ingredients. Ideal for the kids snack or lunchbox.

I use a childs plastic beaker to weigh out the ingredients, its approximately 250ml like an american cup size but any cup will do.

Heat oven to gas mark 4

ingredients
    2 cups grated carrots
    2 cups flour (1 wholemeal and 1 plain works well)
    1 cup sugar
    2 tsp bicarbinate of soda
    pinch salt
    1/2 cup raisins or sultanas
    1/2 cup dessicated coconut
    1 apple, grated
    3/4 cup veg oil
    2tsp cinnamon
    3 eggs

Mix all dry ingredients together. In a seperate bowl beat eggs and oil. Add oil and eggs to dry ingredients and mix lightly. Spoon into muffin cases and bake for approximately 20 mins until wooden skewer comes out clean.
    Makes approx 24 fairy cake size or 12 big muffins.

Very yummy! (I've only eaten 2 so far today)
  • quietheart
    quietheart Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ingredients
    1 pack of bacon
    2-3 medium sized leeks
    1 carton of double cream (I use a big one but I'm greedy)
    Dry Pasta
    Method:
    Fry chopped up bacon until crispy and remove from pan,
    fry up a couple of leeks in the bacon juice and make sure the leek is really well cooked and brown
    put the cooked bacon back in
    then add the double cream, it should go a light brown colour,
    then stir in the cooked pasta.

It's the tastiest and easiest meal I cook, the kids love it and always ask for more! The trick is cooking the bacon and leek really well so it's extra tasty.
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Easy Barley Risotto

Ingredients

• 35-50g pearl barley per person (big eaters use 50g)
    • 600ml vegetable stock (or concentrate and water)
    • bay leaf
    • small pumpkin or medium butternut or 2-3 sweet potatoes or something that mashes well
    • knob vegan margarine or 1 tablespoon oil for mashing (e.g. pumpkin seed oil)
    • variations:
    • add a chopped carrot to the stock
    • add cooked spinach or baby leaf spinach just before stirring in the mashed vegetable
    • add sautéed mushrooms
    • add garlic
    • add whatever you have in the fridge or store cupboard
    • throw in some seeds e.g. pumpkin, sunflower, pine nuts etc
    Directions:

Wash the barley and put into a large non-stick pan with the bay leaf and the stock. Cover and bring to the boil, then reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for approx 35-40 mins, stirring occasionally, until the barley is swollen and the stock is absorbed. While the barley is cooking, peel your vegetable of choice, and cut into small cubes. Steam (or boil) until quite tender, then mash or puree with the vegan margarine/oil. Remove the bay leaf and stir the mashed vegetable into the barley. If adding mushrooms put them in now and you will get a delicious mixture of flavours. Eat while hot (but it tastes great cold the next day.)

This is a really cheap and filling dish and can be adapted endlessly. It takes no time to get on the go, and you can happily leave it to cook, unlike all the stirring in a normal rice risotto. It can also be quite nutritious, barley is a good alternative to too much wheat, and if you use pumpkin seed oil, you're looking after your essential fatty acid intake too.

Serves: 2-3 Preparation time: 45 mins cooking
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• 100g /4 oz stork block margerine or butter (soft marge doesn't set well)
    100g /4oz marshmallows
    100g /4oz toffees
    200g /7 oz Rice Krispies

In a big jug , melt the marge, marshmallows and toffees in the microwave, stir well
    Add the Krispies, mix well, press into a lined tin, press down. chill to set, then take out of the fridge (too damp) cut into bars, store in a tin
  • cozzie
    cozzie Posts: 521 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Chocolate "Very Naughty" Cake

200g / 7oz self-raising flour
    20g / 2oz cocoa powder
    275g / 10oz caster sugar ( 200g / 7oz lite sugar)
    125g / 5oz butter, softened
    5ml vanilla essence
    2 medium eggs
    160ml water

Sift flour and cocoa, add rest of all ingredients, blend until smoothish, (lumps and bumps add to texture when cooked.
    Bake in 8" / 20cm diameter deep cake tin at gas mark 4 for 30-40 mins, (dependant on fan assistance etc).
    Leave to cool and then decorate / frost.

I also add chocolate chips if I am feeling REALLY naughty.
    Eat and then feel guilty for days after.
    Yummy with rchddap1's chocolate fudge cake topping recipe. vbmenu_register("postmenu_533950", true);
    "And crawling on the planet's face,
    Some insects called the human race,
    Lost in time, and lost in space,
    And meaning"
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    1 cup sugar 1/2 cup plain flour
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder pinch of salt
    2 tablespoons melted butter 2 eggs
    1 cup milk 1 cup coconut
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Mix sugar with flour, baking powder & salt. Add melted butter. Add 2 well beaten eggs and milk. Mix in coconut & vanilla. Pour into greased pie plate and cook in moderate oven for 30 - 35 mins.

NB: The reason it's called Impossible Pie is that when it's cooking it makes it's own pastry layer, it's own egg custard layer & the coconut rises to the top making a topping layer. :p How clever is that.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure