PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Problem With House After Exchange.

Options
We have exchanged contracts on a house we wish to buy and plan to move in in 4 weeks.

unfortunately we have been informed that they had a new washer fitted and went away for the weekend and the pipes have bust and leaked.

they have been in touch with the company (indeset or hotpoint) who fitted it and they have said its urgent to get it sorted and a new kitchen floor fitted as its ruined the floor.

its been a few weeks and they say they haven't heard anything from the company. i said its probably because they know they are move/selling the house soon so maybe ignoring in the hopes it will be forgotten.

if the floor doesn't get fixed before we move in is it still up to them to fix, we can't exactly pull out now as contracts are exchanged. what should we do. we are ringing our solicitor today to see what they can do, maybe something along the lines of holding some money back until it gets fixed, i don't know. this is our first purchase so its all new at the best of times, never mind when a problem arises.
:j

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tlg1991 wrote: »
    we are ringing our solicitor today to see what they can do

Well, you'll get better advice from them than from us, given that they know what your contract says and we haven't seen it!
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The vendors are obliged to Complete in the same condition as at Exchange.

As to what possible remedies there are if they don't, then you are correct to get your solicitor to advise.
  • nubbins
    nubbins Posts: 725 Forumite
    Options
    anselld wrote: »
    The vendors are obliged to Complete in the same condition as at Exchange.

As to what possible remedies there are if they don't, then you are correct to get your solicitor to advise.

Not so sure about that...

Damage to the property after exchange of contracts

Damage caused between exchange and completion

A house may be damaged after contracts have been exchanged but before the sale is completed, for example, a burst pipe or a broken window. It is the seller’s responsibility to inform the buyer of any damage. It is however the buyer’s responsibility to insure the property from the date of exchange of contracts and to have the repairs carried out. The buyer will then have to make a claim on their insurance policy.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/moving-and-improving-your-home/problems-with-buying-and-selling-a-home/
  • Tlg1991
    Tlg1991 Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    the damage was done before the contracts where exchanged. they told us that it was getting sorted and they just wanted to let us know. its only after the exchange they have updated us on what's happening and said they haven't heard anything from the company who fitted it, but the company has apparently said they will be sorting it but they are busy.

we shouldn't have exchanged until it was fixed, i know very stupid, but we had no reason not to believe them and they have been completely honest with us about everything else up to now.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    we shouldn't have exchanged until it was fixed, i know very stupid, but we had no reason not to believe them and they have been completely honest with us about everything else up to now.

Is, I think, the nub of it.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    they have been in touch with the company (indeset or hotpoint) who fitted it and they have said its urgent to get it sorted and a new kitchen floor fitted as its ruined the floor.
    I'm not sure why they are expecting the manufacturer of the washing machine to pay for the cost of a whole new floor, surely they would only be responsible for replacing the machine itself?
  • nubbins
    nubbins Posts: 725 Forumite
    Options
    Ahhhh right, then I suspect you are at the mercy of the sellers
  • Tlg1991
    Tlg1991 Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure why they are expecting the manufacturer of the washing machine to pay for the cost of a whole new floor, surely they would only be responsible for replacing the machine itself?

They paid hotpoint or whoever extra for fitting, the fitting was wrong which resulted in the leak. they are responsible for the damage as it was their fault through fitting or whoever they got to fit it.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No - you are at the mercy of Hotpoint.

At the time you Exchanged, the floor was flooded, so that is what you agreed to buy.

If Hotpoint acknowledge their responsibility and fix things - great. If not. you'll have to suck up the damage (see what I did there?).

And once the sellers move you'll not be able to chase Hotpoint yourself as you had no contract with them...
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You exchanged in the knowledge of the damage.

If the contract contained a special condition about the sellers ensuring the damage is sorted prior to completion you could sue the sellers if they fail to sort it, but otherwise I think you'll have to sort it out yourself.

Like you say, you should not have exchanged. Did your solicitor give you any advice about this? Were they aware of the damage? Could be negligent if they didn't advise you about this.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family