Dry cleaners lost my coat

i used a dry cleaners app which collect washing and then deliver it back.

i was due to receive my coat on sunday morning then got an email asking me to describe item as they were having difficulty locating then various members of staff emailing asking for more time as it was a sunday and they needed time to locate it.
waited till tuesday and they got back to me today asking for description again and asked if i had proof of receipt and how long ive had it incase they need to past me to their compensation dept.

reading CAB website its saying if lost or damaged they legally have to replace item regardless of what compensation polices they have...coat was £320 but their sites says they only compensate upto 10x cost of dry cleaning which was £14
i just wanted to know where to go from here? should i take them to small claims court?

thanks

Comments

• They have to replace it but only by way of like for like so if the coat was a year or two old, you wouldn't be entitled to a new replacement to cover the loss.

Your best bet would be to do a search on the internet to see if you can find the same style of coat of about the same age being sold anywhere to help determine the value of the lost item.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Do you have the receipt or bank statement showing the purchase of the coat?

How old is it?

Their policy of 10x the cost would be deamed unfair.

You would not be able to claim the cost of a new coat if it is several years old.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • No I haven't got receipt and u paid cash
    It's a year old
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    No I haven't got receipt and u paid cash
    It's a year old

What evidence do you expect to present the court with then that £140 (at the very most) is not enough for your coat? A snazzy picture of you wearing it?
  • marliepanda it not me but that's in the lost the coat though is it
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    marliepanda it not me but that's in the lost the coat though is it

I assume you mean its not you who lost the coat?

I agree, but you still have to prove its worth. you could claim its worth thousands. You have to at least show some evidence that their top offer (assuming £140) is insufficient. You can't just say 'oh it was over £300.'
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Out of interest, did you agree to their terms and conditions in advance of booking the dry cleaning? If you did, and therefore knew that compensation was limited to £140, I would have thought you'd be limited to that value. Much the same scenario as a lost parcel with a courier company.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Companies are sick of hearing this stuff..
    " yes my defrosted freezer was full of defrosted fillet steak , salmon , and luxury foods. I've got no receipt. I wish to claim on my insurance. "
    " The dog ate my homework"
  • ex-homelessdude2
    ex-homelessdude2 Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 October 2015 at 9:25PM
    I assume you mean its not you who lost the coat?
    sorry im dyslexic and was typing on phone when auto correct kept changing my words

marliepanda why do i have to proof anything as they're at fault

ThumbRemote its not the same scenario as

“traders have a responsibility of care under the Consumer Rights Act 2015” so their t&c are irrelevant

hollydays i know your just trying to help but i not that fussed in what companies are sick of...as ive said theyve lost it and they have responsibility to correct mistake. i thought MSEwas here to help consumers not big businesses

thanks shaun from Africa
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Can you go to the dry cleaners operation room, and physically look for the coat?

Have you sent them a photo of the coat, if you have one?
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills