Soakaway

Options
We have a blocked soakaway that someone is coming to try and unblock next week for us, however we have been told by 2 different companies that we are looking at £3000 including VAT for a new one to be put in. Both firms said it would be a crate system 1.5 by 1.5sq meters. It would involved digging up part of our garden and a small path.

This seems very expensive to me, or is it about right, I am based in Surrey in a 4 bed detached house.

Comments

• brightontraveller
    brightontraveller Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    edited 26 September 2015 at 3:43AM
    Options
    We have a blocked soakaway that someone is coming to try and unblock next week for us, however we have been told by 2 different companies that we are looking at £3000 including VAT for a new one to be put in. Both firms said it would be a crate system 1.5 by 1.5sq meters. It would involved digging up part of our garden and a small path.

This seems very expensive to me, or is it about right, I am based in Surrey in a 4 bed detached house.
    Hard to say distance dig, soil ,clay ,rock etc , access etc all play a part but it’s a relatively easy job to do your self labor is the main cost have a look here there guides are pretty easy to follow for whatever type of soakaway you require
    http://www.pavingexpert.com/pavguide.htm
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    Hard to say distance dig, soil ,clay ,rock etc , access etc all play a part but it’s a relatively easy job to do your self labor is the main cost have a look here there guides are pretty easy to follow for whatever type of soakaway you require
    http://www.pavingexpert.com/pavguide.htm

Also the current soakaway wants a check to see if there is an easier value solution. If it is a pre cast concrete section construction it may be full of silt and need cleaning out. If bigger, it could be a big concrete ring, but again the same applies.

If the construction is a bit dubious and filled with rubble it may be possible to remove some of this, or jet it out to clean it.

There is more to a soakaway than a hole in the ground - it requires an element of design and then competent folks to construct one. Hence a contractor coming along and saying "you need some new crates" may not be the correct answer.
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    Our soakaway wasnt working properly and we got a man with a digger for £500 who dug it out, put a new pipe in and redid the rubble. That was from asking around local farmers etc as i couldnt find any companies advertising locally who would do it. A few came round and did a bit of teeth sucking and chin stroking but wouldnt quote on the job.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • cherylsurrey
    Options
    The problem we have is a paved driveway will have to come up to find the soakaway. The driveway was put down by the previous residents in the 90s, I don't know if they put a new soakaway in then, as the house was built in the 1930s.

The £3000 price quoted was for putting a new soakaway in the lawn next to the drive, some minor work would have to be done with the guttering for this to work, but seemed cheaper than taking all the paving up., this would mean just digging up part of our garden. So maybe if it cant be unblocked a new soakaway is the cheapest option.
  • Chilly77
    Options
    I sadly can't comment on how to unblock a soakaway but have just installed a new crate soakaway system. I was also quoted £3,000 to install the soakaway but thought how difficult can it be and including micro digger hire and all materials it can in at around £500.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure