PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2017 - No Clutter To Be Seen

To use Guineapigsqueaks/my own wording, "A new thread for declutterbugs in [STRIKE]2015 2016[/STRIKE] 2017!" :j

I'm going to aim to get rid of 2017 items in 2017.
There are some lovely tips on the KonMari thread here, set up by the talented greent: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5385103

Of particular note is post 4 of where you can get rid of unwanted items:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=69806488&postcount=4

:D Welcome one and all and happy decluttering! :D
OH OD - £100.00/£100.00 Joint OD - £100.00/£100.00StepChange: £10,057.67

Comments

• DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Sa1sysoo wrote: »
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/my own wording, "A new thread for declutterbugs in [STRIKE]2015 2016[/STRIKE] 2017!" :j
    :D Welcome one and all and happy decluttering! :D
    Oo goody a new shiny thread. One of my aims for 2017 is to have the house sorted out by Christmas. Had my bedroom and en suite decorated just before this Christmas and rest of house in next couple of months so urgent and much-needed declutter going on over the crimbo break. I am following 'the toothbrush principle' and loving it. So far 2 carloads to tip, a sorted en suite, a usable broom cupboard, ditto cupboard under the sink, and a hygged alcove in my bedroom. Today is another trip to the dump as I aim to get the office ready for the decorator. I also need to get the attic back into a useful storage area. Will let you know how I got on tomorrow :j
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • I seriously need to declutter. I packed up and decorated two floors of my house - only the attic left. For the last 6 months I have survived on the stuff I left unpacked - so why have I still got all the stuff in boxes. So I'm keen to declutter and would welcome any tips. So if you have time DundeeDoll can you explain the toothbrush method!
    My aim is to get new carpets laid on the ground and first floor and the attic turned into a work/store room - at the moment I can't walk through it.
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    DundeeDoll wrote: »
    I am following 'the toothbrush principle' and loving it.

Just heard about this method and I am going to follow it too. My house before Christmas was much better than it has been for ages but due to several factors I have slipped.

I am going to spend today just going around each room in turn and put away the obvious clutter that has built up. I used to put things in baskets for each room, but my new resolution is to take things and put them away each time I have used them.

I have a basket of Christmas presents that need new places to live. I wish I could say not to presents because many are things I would just not buy for myself and now they are going to take up valuable space until enough time has gone and I can give them away to a charity shop or re-gift.

As for chocolate, yes, I do love it but please don't encourage me to eat it...

What I can't do is put away the box which holds the decorations until the tree comes down as both that and the tree live on a high wardrobe shelf - but what I can do is check the box in case there are still things in there I no longer need. I am also wondering whether to take the tree down earlier than usual.

This year I'm going to try and get rid of 2017 items. I tried to keep a list in 2016 but have not updated it recently.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • Thanks Sa1sysoo! I'm still on the declutterbug train. Going to start with a sort out of DS and DD's clothing. There are a few bits they no longer wear that can go. There will be no items stored in this house that are not needed! Cup of tea first though :).
    Guineapigsqueaks x

Keep Smiling :)
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Fruittea wrote: »
    So if you have time DundeeDoll can you explain the toothbrush method!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003WQAP04/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1 £1.99 kindle version. Makes the very good point even the most chaotic of us knows where our toothbrush is and also kettle etc to make a cup of tea. She builds on this success we have already developed, thereby instilling a mind shift. The first task was the bathroom which I did on Boxing Day. The 2nd task is storage areas, those places we don't see but need to be organised so we can start putting things away. Hence now having a beautiful (did I only say usable?) broom cupboard and under the kitchen sink cupboard. Today I shall clear the attic. Shudder. We will both have nice attics very soon fruittea
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • Me too please, starting at the right end of the year this time!

I have a loft to clear or my house is going to sink to the first floor windows before long. Seriously why do we just shove it in the attic instead of getting rid?

I know for a fact that I have at least two microwaves up there that need to go to the scrap man.

Plus, downloaded a thingy last night to enable me to get a grip on my fabric stash. Its a sheet with details of fabric on plus a little swatch you affix so you can keep it in a folder and its easier to see what you have - and maybe even use!!
    Saving 1 animal wont change the world - but it will change the world for that 1 animal

Weight loss challenge 2024 - 1st quarter goal = 15/24lbs
    Pantry challenge 2024
    24 for 2024 challenge
    Prepping….the new world
    Make do, mend, minimise
  • KitKatMum2
    KitKatMum2 Posts: 120 Forumite
    edited 29 December 2016 at 3:41PM
    Thank you Sa1sysoo, I'm in! 2017 sounds like a good target, so I'll go for that too. Ultimately I just want to be able to find things and to be more organised and not have so much 'stuff' that cleaning and tidying takes forever!
    Frogletina wrote: »
    I wish I could say not to presents because many are things I would just not buy for myself and now they are going to take up valuable space until enough time has gone and I can give them away to a charity shop or re-gift.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way, for me it's more the kids presents though. I have repeatedly asked family not to buy too much for them, but they still go completely overboard. Even if I specifically tell them what to get they will still buy 20 extra things on top of that. I feel ungrateful, but all of the extras are unnecessary, we have nowhere to put it all and the kids end up not appreciating things as much as they should.

Anyway enough rambling, here's to a clutter free 2017! :beer::money:
  • Ooh great thread Sa1sysoo, I'd love to join too please! I had some success Kondo-ing last year but have slid again, and my mother arrived before Christmas with her usual bootfull of tat for us and the kids so feel like we're drowning in stuff again at the moment. I know she means well, but who needs THREE pairs of slippers for Xmas? I've only got one pair of feet!

We seem to spend the time in between her visits gradually filtering out the "gifts" she brought, only for her to fill the void with more at her next stay - charity shop spends on stuff that we don't want or need, and it doesn't matter how many times I tell her not to do it, it always seems to fall on deaf ears...:mad:

Sorry, that turned into a bit of a rant lol! I think 2017 items sounds great - will soon be around the 100 mark once my mum goes home in the new year and we can clear out her latest cluttering efforts:rotfl:
    #19 Save £12k in 2024 £4808.21/£12000

April NSD Challenge 8/20
  • I just came across the 2015 thread in my subscribed threads (I've been AWOL from MSE for a while). I may be tempted to join in this one...my OH and dad seem to have found a regular topic of conversation...how much cr*p I manage to hoard so going to make it my mission to declutter next year!
    NSDs January - 3/8 2017 total - 3
    declutter challenge 67/2017
    Goodreads Challenge 0/30
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 29 December 2016 at 5:14PM
    I have been following the 2016 thread for about a week and waiting for the new one.

I have found it strangely inspiring reading others lists.

I hope its not classed as cheating but I have started already :) only from yesterday so my year will run from 28th Dec - 24th Dec 2017 (I want a nice shiny clutter free house ready for next Christmas) will post list once I have a few more items on it.

I have a whole house of hoarded [STRIKE]processions[/STRIKE] junk to clear so think 2017 items will be fairly easy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure