IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

COUNTY COURT CLAIM FORM (UKCPM, Gladstones)

Comments

• CircusFrog
    CircusFrog Posts: 30 Forumite
    CircusFrog wrote: »

Ugh, PDF wetn down, here's a copy and paste version:
    IN THE COUNTY COURT AT COUNTY COURT
    CLAIM NUMBER:
    BETWEEN:
    UK Car Park Management Limited (Claimant)
    - and -
    (Defendant)
    WITNESS STATEMENT
    1. I, of Close, am
    the Defendant in this matter, and I make this statement in response to the Claimant. In this
    Witness statement, the facts and matters stated are true and within my own knowledge, except
    where indicated otherwise.
    2. Exhibited to this Witness Statement are the following documents which I wish to reply upon in
    my Defence:
    A. my driving license, as proof of residence at Close,
    B. the Lease of Part relating to
    C. [Something proving owns the property];
    D. a letter from UK Car Park Management Ltd RE: Parking Restrictions and permits;
    E. Transcript of Appeal CS038 Jopson vs Homeguard [2016] 9FG0A9E;
    F. Transcript of Pace Recovery vs Mr N[2016] C6GF14F0;
    G. Transcript of Link Parking Ltd vs J. Parkinson [2016] C7GF50J7;
    H. Plot of Land;
    3. Schedule Part 1 - 11. of the Lease of Part [Appendix B] grants
    permission to park a private vehicle in any free parking space:
    “[The lessor grants the lessee] The right in common with all others entitled
    thereto from time to time to park one domestic private motor vehicle only on
    the Estate in any free parking space other than those specifically allocated
    or to be allocated”.
    LEASE OF PART , APPENDIX B
    4. As I will outline in my Skeleton Arguments, the case law in CS038 Jopson vs Homeguard
    [2016], Link Parking Ltd vs J. Parkinson [2016], and Pace Recovery vs Mr N[2016] asserts
    that signage placed on the property cannot replace the contract formed by the Lease.
    [Appendices E, F, G]
    The Claim
    References starting with a # are the paragraph numbers in the Claimant’s Witness Statement.
    5. The Claimant’s Witness Statement refers to a single parking charge in a number of places: #3,
    #4, #6, #7 and #8. The Schedule in #3 of her statement refers to three separate PCN incidents; I
    will respond as if ‘the charge’ in #3, #4, #6, #7, and #8 refers to the separate charge in each; but
    this is unclear.
    6. Regarding the Claimant's Statement that the Defendant is liable because “a valid permit was not
    on display at the time of the incident (sic.)” (Claimant Witness Statement #4):
    7. The Lease of Part (Appendix B, cited in my 3. above) does not require the displaying of a
    permit.
    8. The second charge listed in the Claimant’s Schedule (#3) has the description: “No Parking
    Outside of A Designated Area”. The Claimant has provided no evidence that they have the right
    to charge for this, and assert in #4 that, “a valid permit was not on display”.
    9. RE: “The Defendant was aware of the terms when they obtained the permit”. (#4)
    10. See again 3. RE: The Lease. The Lease is the contract with primacy, making the terms of any
    permit irrelevant.
    11. The permit was not ‘obtained’ by request, but sent to the anonymous “Resident / Occupier” By
    UK Car Park Management Limited. The Claimant cannot thus prove a level of awareness of the
    terms of the permit. (See Appendix D)
    12. RE: “The Defendant has not provided any evidence to support their alleged right to park.” (#5).
    As quoted in my defence, here in 3. and attached, the Lease and proof of residence (Appendix
    A) are the evidence to support the right to park, as is the case law.
    13. RE: “My Company has been instructed to manage the Relevant Land and without concession,
    the Defendant has failed to prove otherwise.” (#5). The Parking Enforcement Contractual
    Agreement (provided by the Claimant, included here as Appendix J), is between UK Car Park
    Management Ltd and Crabtree Property Management LLP. Neither of these entities have the
    right to revoke my right to park as set out in the Lease of Part to (See,
    again 3.)
    14. RE: “The residents’ indicated their acceptance of this service by displaying a valid permit… In
    view of this, they accepted the charge (sic.)” (#6).
    15. The Letter that was sent to residents introducing the permits does not in any part state that
    displaying a permit corresponds to acceptance of the service. [Appendix D]
    16. The Letter does not mention any specific charge, thus it is impossible for any resident to
    ‘accept’ such a charge from displaying the associated permit. [Appendix D]
    17. The Letter states; “This service will operate to alleviate the ongoing problems with
    unauthorised parking.”, which implies that the authorisation to park is not based on the
    displaying of a permit, but that authorisation pre-dates the introduction of the service by UK
    Car Park Management Ltd. [Appendix D]
    18. It is my assertion that the ‘authorisation’ to park on Close mentioned by UK Car
    Park Management is the authorisation provided by the Lease to each resident.
    19. This view, that residency is equivalent to authority to park, is further evidenced in the same
    letter: “This permit can be used by residents or issued to any visitor that may require
    parking.” [Appendix D]
    20. Consequently, the Defendant cannot be deemed to have been ‘unauthorised’ to park by not to
    displaying a permit which only notifies UK Car Park Management of their authorisation.
    I believe the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Looks good to go. Nice.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • CircusFrog
    With all the transcripts, we're at 75 pages. Looking forward to Gladstones opening that email.
  • CircusFrog
    Skeleton Arguments:
    The Claimant’s Witness Statement is very hard to follow. It refers to a single parking in charge in #3, #4, #6, #7 and #8. In #3, the statement lists three separate PCNs. I’ll process as if ‘the charge’ in #3, #4, #6, #7, #8 is the Claimant’s claim for each separate charge in #3 - but this is unclear.
    As a resident of ********, the Lease of Part Schedule Part 1. 11. grants me the permission to park a private vehicle in any free parking space.
    “[The lessor grants the lessee] The right in common with all others entitled thereto from time to time to park one domestic private motor vehicle only on the Estate in any free parking space other than those specifically allocated or to be allocated”.
    lease of part, Schedule Part 1 11. 
witness statement (WS) appendix b (p. 28)

The Claimant refers to the sign on the land as ‘i.e. the Contract’, but I assert that the signage on the property cannot replace the contract formed by the Lease of Part as found on appeal in CS038 Jopson vs Homeguard [2016] 9FG0A9E.
    In that case, Judge Harris QC ruled:
    “ the respondent was not in any position unilaterally to override the right of access which the claimant had bought when she purchased the lease”
    CS038 Jopson vs Homeguard ¶18. (WS Appendix E p.56)

Also on the primacy of contract in this case, in Pace Recovery vs Mr N[2016] C6GF14F0, District Judge Coonan ruled:
    “I have before me a tenancy agreement which gives Mr [N. redacted] the right to park on the estate and it does not say “on condition that you display a permit”. It does not say that, so he has that right. What Pace Recovery is seeking to do is, unilaterally outside the contract, restrict that right to only when a permit is displayed. Pace Recovery cannot do that. It has got to be the other contracting party, Affinity Sutton, which amends the terms of the tenancy agreement to restrict the right to park on a place in circumstances in which a permit is displayed but that is not in this tenancy agreement and you as a third party cannot unilaterally alter the terms of the tenancy agreement.”
    Pace Recovery vs Mr N[2016] C6GF14F0 ¶1, (WS Appendix F, P. 63)

My assertion is that the facts of this case are identical to the fact of Pace Recovery vs Mr N [2016].

Referencing Pace Recovery vs Mr N[2016] C6GF14F0, In Link Parking Ltd vs J. Parkinson [2016] C7GF50J7 the Judge found that despite Pace Recovery v Mr N [2016] C6GF14F0 ‘not in any event binding him’:
    “…the Judge in that case found that the parking company could not amend the terms of the tenancy agreement to bind a tenant, but rather that it would have to be the other party to the contract, and it seems to me that the same principle applies here”
    Link Parking Ltd vs J. Parkinson [2016] C7GF50J7 ¶13., (Ws Appendix G, p. 72)

The following were addressed in the Witness Statement, but may be better placed here:
    RE: “The Defendant was aware of the terms when they obtained the permit”. (#4): The permit was not obtained by request (WS #11.), and the anonymous “Resident / Occupier” letter from UK Car Park Management Ltd (WS Appendix D) does not establish the terms of the permit.
    RE: “The residents’ indicated their acceptance of this service by displaying a valid permit… in view of this they have accepted the charge (sic.)”:
    The letter introducing the service (WS Appendix D) states in no part that displaying a permit accepts any terms of a contract.
    The letter does not mention that the terms will provided on signage
    The letter does not mention any charges whatsoever, except a £5.00 charge for a replacement permit upon request.
    The letter does state, however:
    “The service will operate to alleviate the ongoing problems with unauthorised parking”
    Letter from UK CPM Ltd, (WS Appendix D, P47)

This letter is dated 8th February 2013, prior to the service commencing on February 25th 2013. Given that the letter already accepts that there is ‘unauthorised’ (and thus, ‘authorised’) parking occurring prior to the start of their service. The Claimant is acknowledging residency as the primary (and thus, ultimate) authorisation for parking on the land.

In any case, this letter and its associated permit do not take primacy over the signed Lease between the Lessor and Lessee, giving the Lessee the right to park on the land.
    RE: “The Defendant has not provide any evidence to support their alleged right to park” (#6):
    The Claimant addressed the Defendant exclusively at their address on ********, so was well aware of the residency, and the initial defence statement included the relevant portion from the lease. As a lay-defendant in this claim, this appears to be disingenuous.
    cFor clarity, however, the Witness Statement includes:
    the Driving License of the defendant as proof of residence ( WS Appendix A) - (this is, of course, where the Claimant got the Defendant’s address);
    The Land Registry Title Information as proof of ownership by [**********], husband of the Defendant (WS Appendix C);
    The Lease of Part relating to ********* establishing right to park and right of access. (Appendix B);
    The Legal Plan Plot of the land designating the areas included in right of access (not contended by the Claimant, but included for completeness) (WS Appendix H)
    Given the relevant cases on the primacy of the lease, and the addressing of the Claimants additional arguments here, it is asserted that this Claim should be dismissed.
  • Coupon-mad
    Good example of a fightback, keep going!
  • CircusFrog
    Case is day after tomorrow, was going to file Skeleton Arguments with the court tomorrow morning marked as urgent. Do I need to serve to Claimaint as well?
  • Technically you should, yes. The idea is that you should be able to win without an ambush.

The skelly serves as a summary only to highlight key arguments to take the court direct to them. It should have nothing wholly new that the claimant won't have already seen/anticipated.
  • Coupon-mad
    And your costs schedule if not already filed.
  • 25th Jul 17, 2:21 PM Case is day after tomorrow,

All set for the hearing? What time are you on and in which Court?
  • CircusFrog
    Johnersh wrote: »
    What time are you on and in which Court?

10am @ High Wycombe County Court.

Going straight out for the wife's birthday after (the court case is against her on her birthday, not happy!) - so may not update here straight away, but will certainly let you all know!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure