Do insulated radiator panels save money? - I'm testing them now

Comments

• Update: Broxtowe council are selling 10 for £8. 0115 9173426.
    :money:Lightbulb moment 5th Jan. 07 Total £26,319.43:eek:
    DFW Nerd No.309 :cool: Proud to be dealing with my debts
    Tesco card £4,247.57 0%
    NatWest £6,896.16 3.9%
    M&S card £2,733.50 3.9%
    Total Debt now = £13,877.23 :D Debt Free Date - December 2011:T
  • amyface
    amyface Posts: 84 Forumite
    So 3 - 4 months on what has been peoples verdict (those who have fitted them and been monitoring) on the panels? Have they been a success?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    The Energy Saving Trust has lots of information on measures in the house to make savings; and giving approx costs/savings e.g cavity insulation, roof insulation etc.

As far as I can see it doesn't give these panels any mention at all.
  • beer2006
    beer2006 Posts: 1,987 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Cardew wrote: »
    The Energy Saving Trust has lots of information on measures in the house to make savings; and giving approx costs/savings e.g cavity insulation, roof insulation etc.

As far as I can see it doesn't give these panels any mention at all.

That could be because most peoples houses have cavity walls. I'll say again, they made a big difference to us, even my sceptical OH agrees.
    We have solid thin brick walls.
    “Pleasure of love lasts but a moment, pain of love lasts a lifetime.”
  • amyface
    amyface Posts: 84 Forumite
    Thanks Beer - I'm going to give them a go; a friend of mine has them and says they have been effective in leading to a warmer room. I'll report back when I've properly checked them out!
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I saw some of these radiator panels in Focus the other week, it was just bubble wrap with metal foil attached to it. If these do work, then surely it would be cheaper to make them yourself (might have a bash at this) with some cardboard with bubble wrap and tin foil glued.

If there is then a benefit of having them even only slightly the cost of making your own would therefore be better than forking out x amount. I seen these panels on line and some sites are asking £30+ for a few rads
  • Stormy
    Stormy Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So they are not really of any benefit if you have cavity walls?
  • I got some convector panels from envirosaveuk. off the tinterweb!!! They seem 2b cheaper than all the rest such as shopeco, greenneasy etc. I'd defo recommend them.
    Does any one know if there are any grants for these panels I could claim back for?
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Hi Joe....a nearby district council (Fenland-all residents) give £50 cashback for DIY reflective radiator panels. Probably not DIY in the sense of making them, tho they also quote maximum grant of £75.
    Your own council might help...the web link is [EMAIL="energy@fenland.gov.uk"]energy@fenland.gov.uk[/EMAIL] who also give advice.
  • CrashUK
    CrashUK Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Stormy wrote: »
    So they are not really of any benefit if you have cavity walls?

I hope they are I got cavity wall.. I gas bill is around £22 pm in the winter. But I dont like heating on to high it makes me feel sick.. some people have it on to high.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure