Cheap Travel Money Discussion Area

Comments

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 9 May 2011 at 7:47PM
    I have a Tesco Credit Card linked to my clubcard and was thinking of using it to get travel money (we pay the card off every month). The Tesco site says that there is no cash advance fee and no handling fee.
    Baldur wrote: »
    Not the part of the Tesco site that I'm looking at, assuming that you have the Clubcard Credit Card - http://www.tescofinance.com/personal/finance/finance/creditcards/clubcc/summary-box.jsp

Try looking here

These fees are only not charged if you buy your currency from Tesco Currency Exchange - if you buy from anywhere else, eg Travelex, TC, PO etc, they will still apply, (that's why the no fees bit is only stated on Tesco Currency Exchange website, not on Clubcard Creditcard website)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    These fees are only not charged if you buy your currency from Tesco Currency Exchange - if you buy from anywhere else, eg Travelex, TC, PO etc, they will still apply
    Most, if not all, institutions that charge for FX transactions have that sort of wording, i.e. 'buy from us at our relatively poor rate or pay us for the privilege of using your card to buy at a better rate'.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Baldur wrote: »
    Most, if not all, institutions that charge for FX transactions have that sort of wording, i.e. 'buy from us at our relatively poor rate or pay us for the privilege of using your card to buy at a better rate'.

Never claimed they give the best rate, just trying to clarify why you couldn't find the 'no fees' info on the creditcard website :)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Nessie23
    Nessie23 Posts: 245 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    My experience is that different foreign ATM's, especially in 3rd world countries, from different bank chains have a mind of their own.
    Some will accept and some will decline on the same card on the came day - perhaps it is something to do with the phases of the moon ?

Very true, sometimes it could be the international communications between the ATM's bank and your home bank, fraud prevention blockages, or any other technical glitch.

For that reason it is always good to have alternatives (and some spare cash) in case one method for paying and/or obtaining cash is not working.

Nessie
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    icclewu wrote: »
    I have been to get leaflets today from Thomson and Thomas Cook on their prepaid Mastercards. Are these worth getting????
    Thank you in advance :j

Yes - but probably not those particular ones.

Have a read through the travel money section on this site - accessed through travel/motoring at the top of this page
  • isayhello
    isayhello Posts: 431 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,

I have a question. I've used the Metro bank card for withdrawing money before, it doesnt charge any fees for using an ATM abroad, so I wonder why it's not in Martins top picks list?

Also why do so many people recommend the Halifax clarity card over this? As there you have the extra step of having to pay the bill off and you will be charged a bit of interest too. I can see it can be a good safety net using a credit card for purchases but not for taking out money from an ATM?

I'm just wondering as I'm off to the usa soon and was just going to take some money with me and use the metro card for the rest...unless anyone thinks this isnt the best way to do it.

Thanks
  • Lugh_Chronain
    Lugh_Chronain Posts: 6,867 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 May 2011 at 12:48AM
    The Metro card has actually been mentioned previously on MSE and the debit card is currently mentioned in the main Cheap Travel Money article.

Metro's credit and debit cards were mentioned on here as been among the best for overseas spending. It was mentioned that the credit card charges no overseas spending commission and no cash advance fee, no foreign exchange fee and no cash advance fee abroad also for the debit card as well.

And MSE's Guy Anker has also said the Metro card is second best for spending abroad behind the Halifax Clarity card.

The catch with this card though is you have to go to one of its four London branches to get one from what I understand and maybe why the Halifax Clarity card is recommend over Metro cards.

If you can get to one of their four London branches then it does appear in that case to be worth it as it does appear to be better than Halifax Clarity though this isn't applicable to everyone in the UK.
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    isayhello wrote: »
    I have a question. I've used the Metro bank card for withdrawing money before, it doesnt charge any fees for using an ATM abroad, so I wonder why it's not in Martins top picks list?
    It actually is in the list, under the heading "[url=http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money]Do you want a debit card instead?[/url]".
    Load-free debit card (London only). New high street player Metro bank charges no foreign exchange loading or cash withdrawal fees on the card that comes with its current account. However, you have to go to one of its four London branches to get one (its opening more in future, but all within the M25 area).

I have both a Metro Card & Clarity Card and would generally use the former for ATM cash withdrawals and the latter for purchases.
  • Tarostar
    Tarostar Posts: 13 Forumite
    I've got 1000 norwegian kroners after a holiday in Norway and was hoping to exchange it to dollars for my trip to Florida (Miami/Ft Lauderdale). I was going to exchange it before going, but the bank wants to first exchange it to £££ and then to $$$ with the result of around $115, when the exchange rate is 1000 NOK = $184.

So I'm guessing that exchanging the money in Florida will be my best bet (avoiding the airport exchange), but I'm a bit worried it will prove to be a nightmare finding a bank that accepts norwegian kroners.

So, anyone have any experience with this or can offer any suggestions for how to get a decent exchange rate with minimum hassle on short notice?
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Change them here for ££ at the best rate you can find

Put the ££ on a prepaid card (eg Travelex Global Passport) and draw out $$ at an ATM in the US.

It will save you a bit though it will still cost
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure