How do you read new water meter

Iam with Northumbrian water, had a meter fitted 2 weeks ago today, so I thought I would take a reading and get a rough Idea of how much im using... there is only one reading on the meter, 3 red digits and rest black, the fitter says you only read the black ones

Just checked my water after 14 days usage.. used 0.538 m3
https://www.nwl.co.uk/your-home/your-account/tariffs-and-charges.aspx

according to that its £10.84 each month just for sewage and mains That’s ‘Metered Charges’
, plus a charge of 121.05p per cubic metre water and 116.39p per cubic metre of sewage - which I hope is included in that reading, has to be, but I dunno how if theres only one reading on the meter and 2 different prices per cubic meter???

can anyone enlighten me ?

thank you

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    yes thats about right. you've got a standing charge which is 10.84 a month plus the cost per cu.m.

It's assumed that you'll need to dispose of the same amount tha you use so just add 121.05 and 116.39 = £2.37 cu.m multiplied by 0.538 = £1.28 that you've used so far.

The average consumption is 55cm.m per person per year = 2.37 x 55 = £130.35, plus your standing charge of around £130 = £260.35 per year/12 = about £22 month.

Your consumption so far is pretty low at around 1.2cu.m month = 14.4 cu.m/year = about £34 a year plus the standing charge = £160 a year.

keep an eye on your meter and you can see how much it's costing you
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • snadge
    snadge Posts: 32 Forumite
    matelodave wrote: »
    yes thats about right. you've got a standing charge which is 10.84 a month plus the cost per cu.m.

It's assumed that you'll need to dispose of the same amount tha you use so just add 121.05 and 116.39 = £2.37 cu.m multiplied by 0.538 = £1.28 that you've used so far.

The average consumption is 55cm.m per person per year = 2.37 x 55 = £130.35, plus your standing charge of around £130 = £260.35 per year/12 = about £22 month.

Your consumption so far is pretty low at around 1.2cu.m month = 14.4 cu.m/year = about £34 a year plus the standing charge = £160 a year.

keep an eye on your meter and you can see how much it's costing you

youre a diamond thank you!!!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I thought the question was going to be a physical one.

My meter is so deep the only way to read the small dial is to take a photo then enlarge the picture!
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure