Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Comments

• shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Depending on your definition of a 'really good deal' you can get a very decent offer without switching off, although there's no doubt that you really do need to schedule a cancellation to get anywhere. I got 60% and £50(?) credit over a month before my switch off.

you can get a decent offer before switching off , definitely.
    But you'll need a switch off to get even better offers.

For example, I got the full Movies + Sports HD + family downloads package for £18.50 a month, PLUS £50 credit. No contract.

Someone I know working in Sky was telling me to go through them for a good deal on Sky Q (50% off) but when they heard about my package they just said stick with that :)

I was only without sky for about a week or so. not a huge deal with a Smart TV you can while away the boring hours watching IPLAYER, Youtube etc.
  • joshardy
    joshardy Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    shaggy wrote: »
    you can get a decent offer before switching off , definitely.
    But you'll need a switch off to get even better offers.

For example, I got the full Movies + Sports HD + family downloads package for £18.50 a month, PLUS £50 credit. No contract.

Someone I know working in Sky was telling me to go through them for a good deal on Sky Q (50% off) but when they heard about my package they just said stick with that :)

I was only without sky for about a week or so. not a huge deal with a Smart TV you can while away the boring hours watching IPLAYER, Youtube etc.

I was about to ask this question. I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned cancelling, which I've done, is the best way to get a good deal. I was just wondering if you had to wait for the service to have actually stopped before approaching Sky or whether just the act of cancelling triggers the better offers when chatting with the 'return to sky' people?
  • Krinkle
    Krinkle Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Anyone managed to get a good Fibre Unlimited deal recently...they don't seem prepared to give more than £7.50 off the £38.99 price and seem quite happy to see me go to BT?
  • Krinkle wrote: »
    Anyone managed to get a good Fibre Unlimited deal recently...they don't seem prepared to give more than £7.50 off the £38.99 price and seem quite happy to see me go to BT?[/ QUOTE]

I got fibre unlimited for £6.01 on Sunday. Couldn't get any discount on line rental or calls as had an existing deal already but advised to call as soon as those offers end.
  • astra46
    astra46 Posts: 99 Forumite
    I was offered Fibre Unlimited, All calls and Line Rental for £17.40 a month, tempted as i pay a fortune for a slower Plusnet service.

What are SKY Broadband like?
  • moneyfoolish
    moneyfoolish Posts: 681 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    astra46 wrote: »
    I was offered Fibre Unlimited, All calls and Line Rental for £17.40 a month, tempted as i pay a fortune for a slower Plusnet service.

What are SKY Broadband like?
    I'd be interested to hear how Sky Broadband compares to my Virgin Broadband if anybody has tried both.
  • moneyfoolish
    edited 13 July 2017 at 2:15PM
    Just gone into MySky (2 days after cancelling) and have a "50% off any Sky+ bundle for 12 months" offer! However, even after reading the conditions, I'm not sure whether this means I get half price on my £12 Sky Multiscreen and my £6 Sky Sports HD Pack or whether it just relates to the £74 for the Box Sets with Sports and Cinema Bundle! If they are included the cost is down to the £46 a month I paid last year which I would be happy with but, if not, it's still up to £55 a month. I now see it specifically excludes the Sky Sports HD package so that £6 will not be halved and I'm guessing that the multiscreen won't be either so it looks like the offer is £55 a month. Maybe I'll hang on for another couple of weeks and see if they offer anything better.
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 July 2017 at 2:38PM
    joshardy wrote: »
    I was about to ask this question. I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned cancelling, which I've done, is the best way to get a good deal. I was just wondering if you had to wait for the service to have actually stopped before approaching Sky or whether just the act of cancelling triggers the better offers when chatting with the 'return to sky' people?

cancelling triggers your details to be passed on to another department, who will probably bombard you with phone calls trying to keep you as a customer, but I dont think you'll get better than 50% or 60% via this dept - I've tended to ignore most of these calls and not answer them so as not to waste yours , or their time. I only got one call from them , a Derby number, when I cancelled back in March.

For the best offers, you simply HAVE to let the service switch off. Then your details go to another team, the winback team or whatever theyre called. Once your service is switched off, call or use the 'if you've left in the last 6 months' chat link on your My Sky, and with a few mins of chat, and persuasion, and polite chat, you can get 75% off. Just be polite and firm. Say you want such and such package, but you had to cancel as you cant afford the price rises. What can they offer? THey may give you 50% or 60% intially, in which case cut to the chase and say your friend got 75% off with some cash on top!

Generally, they will give you the deal, depending on how desperate the person on the other end is to meet his targets.....

This is my experience anyway. Others like on the Hot Uk Deal Sky thread report other strategies, but this has worked for me this year. Last year I got 50% off box sets package plus £100 but I didnt wait for the sky to be switched off.... This year i got 75% off plus £50 credit for the full movies + sports and that actually worked out cheaper than a lower package last year LOL

Who knows how long this discount business will last, but to be honest, I'm happy to leave Sky completely and just get Netflix for my TV show fix, we already have iplayer on the TV for the BBC catchup so its not a really huge deal losing sky in this day and age. I will happily leave if i dont get the discount I want ....
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Just gone into MySky (2 days after cancelling) and have a "50% off any Sky+ bundle for 12 months" offer! However, even after reading the conditions, I'm not sure whether this means I get half price on my £12 Sky Multiscreen and my £6 Sky Sports HD Pack or whether it just relates to the £74 for the Box Sets with Sports and Cinema Bundle! If they are included the cost is down to the £46 a month I paid last year which I would be happy with but, if not, it's still up to £55 a month. I now see it specifically excludes the Sky Sports HD package so that £6 will not be halved and I'm guessing that the multiscreen won't be either so it looks like the offer is £55 a month. Maybe I'll hang on for another couple of weeks and see if they offer anything better.

Chances are that you'll need to be more proactive than just waiting for a phone call unless you're happy for it to turn off.
  • moneyfoolish
    Chances are that you'll need to be more proactive than just waiting for a phone call unless you're happy for it to turn off.
    I'm hoping that in a couple of weeks I'll get a 60% off offer when I log into MySky which would make my total bill £47.60 a month and, if so, I'll accept that without any negotiation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback