PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Greek style yoghurt

I wanted to make my own thread specific to what I'm attempting .
I hope this is the right place ? Green finger? I associate it with farming from when i worked. As a live stock keeper in a farm,I worked on.

I had a go at making my own yoghurt with a yoghurt machine I got on Amazon (4.5 stars review)

I followed the instructions thus.

Heat the semi skimmed milk to 70c for 15 seconds ( note a wiki I later found said do not go above 85c as it burns proteins and sugars, but I wasn't aware at the time)

Allow the milk to cool below 50c ( the wiki I later found said don't go lower than 32c as normal bacteria can start to grow ?? I suppose?)

Add the milk and 2 teaspoons of Greek yogurt to the yoghurt machine, placing the innerlid and outer lid in place. ( the wiki also says the fresher the yoghurt the better and make sure it contains live bacteria, and also stir the milk and yoghurt to distribute the bacteria)
I assumed all greek yogurt will contain it? But the manual that cane with the machine didn't give me this information, the wiki did.

Let it be for 8 hours

Sieve the yoghurt to remove fluid ( I used a rather expensive chef sieve called bullion strainer , which has fine holes like a mosin sieve or cheese cloth?

Whisk, to make thick creamy greek yogurt.

Conclusion, it looked like yoghurt, but it was more like a yoghurt drink.
Could it be 2 teaspoons wasn't enough, like some responses I got on Amazon questions suggest?
Could it be because the yoghurt was opened 24 hours previously?
Could it be because I didn't stir?
Maybe 8 hours isn't enough?
Maybe I overheated ( above 85c) ? Or let it cool below 32c?

Regardless can I get some clarification? I want to make a second try , I'm hoping for the same consistency as store bought Greek whipped yoghurt.
I want to know which milk ( preferably healthy) p
lease don't suggest live cultures. 6 pounds GBP for 3 live cultures is absurd, and goes against the satisfaction of being self sufficient.
Can I make yoghurt infinitely, without ever needing to buy fresh yoghurt?

Be as comprehensive as you like, I'll read everything :)

*excuse punctuation, my mobile device adds it automatically and it's too anal correcting everything.

Comments

• The Old Style sub-forum is the one you need to post on for matters related to food.

I expect a Board Guide will be along in a minute to transfer this thread over there.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Ah, but here is fine for goats, and it's really goat's milk you need to make a good Greek yogurt. I'd be surprised if semi-skimmed would cut the mustard, but I've not used a newfangled machine, so it might. Goat's milk is thick and creamy - twice as much fat as a moo cow.

You'll need a natural Greek yogurt, and some will not be as good a starter culture as others. If it's a good starter, two teaspoons will be ample. Once you've got a good culture going, keep using your own culture for a few batches, then start again and re-seed with the same yogurt as you first used... otherwise you might build up nasty bacteria.

Certainly don't heat above 85° - but I reckon above 70° is pushing it. That's doing it old-school, without a modern gadget (but I have the advantage of fresh goat's milk from a very fresh goat ;) )

You can strain and restrain to make it thicker. Stirring steadily will help thicken it too. Adds air, helps fermentation. Don't use a whisk!

Patience is key. If at first you don't succeed, have another go. Oh, and try and use goat's milk - or even stick a goat in the garden!
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Do you want me to move this thread across to the old style money saving board? You may get more replies there :)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • redkoatz
    redkoatz Posts: 22 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I hear what you say about goats.
    As I said for a living I have worked on a farm,keeping cows, chickens goats pigs and others. An organic farm. Nothing beats fresh ( raw milk) that's why in my post I stated healthy milk. Even pasteurized milk tastes burnt, based on EU standards, even milk,which you think is not UHT actuality is, but they add in artificial vitamin D and flavonoids to disguise the taste.
    Btw conclusive studies show that artificial vitamins , including vitamin D are not processed by the body like natural vitamins, and actually give problems associated with lactose intolerance . but it's not the milk, it's the fact it's not natural, and your body knows it !

But I'm,digressing lol

I can't keep such animals where I live now, my neighbours complained when I had 4 chickens.
    So I'm left with what I can buy , I'll definitely be on the look,out for goats milk !

Btw a yoghurt machine isnt high tech, it simply seals the milk,in an airtight container , which maintains the desirable temperature for bacterial growth. So you don't have to constantly check the temperature.

When I said about not going above 85c that was specifically for when you pre heat the milk to kill off existing bacteria, prior to adding the yoghurt/ good bacteria.

Btw I,hope my multi quote worked, if not , how do I do it ?
    If you think another area for this thread is better? Please move it

• Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread because I love Greek yogurt and making my own would be fab! I've only found aldi's own and fage but aldi's stuff gives me a dodgy tum :(
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Sounds like everything was on track to produce proper yoghurt, but probably better to use whole milk than semi-skimmed. Eight hours seems quite short to expect a good result. I would experiment with longer times. Your should be able to keep cycling your starter culture indefinitely once you have it.
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    When I make yoghurt I use semi skimmed uht milk,a couple of tablespoons of Greek yoghurt and a couple of tablespoons of dried milk,whisk together and pour into pots then leave overnight,it comes out nice and thick.
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i know you have a machine but you have you tried kefir (tastes the same). you leave the grains into milk on the kitchen top and they turn the milk to yoghurt in 24hours or so depending on how hot your kitchen is

there is a long thread on here about kefir
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=181557
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • redkoatz
    redkoatz Posts: 22 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    frosty wrote: »
    When I make yoghurt I use semi skimmed uht milk,a couple of tablespoons of Greek yoghurt and a couple of tablespoons of dried milk,whisk together and pour into pots then leave overnight,it comes out nice and thick.
    shykins wrote: »
    i know you have a machine but you have you tried kefir (tastes the same). you leave the grains into milk on the kitchen top and they turn the milk to yoghurt in 24hours or so depending on how hot your kitchen is

there is a long thread on here about kefir
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=181557

I only used two teaspoons so, I'll, definitely add more next time , that's pretty consistent with the responses to my Amazon questions!

I will look,into kefir ? How does it taste,like yoghurt? I've never come across it before, and you don't need to add more heat ? The ambient temperature is around 25c in the kitchen, because if central heating plus a slight raise due to cooking all day for a big family : p
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes it tastes like yoghurt. You can also strain it so you get a really thick yoghurt almost like cream cheese

No u dont need any heat or special equipment. Bung the kefir grains in a glass pot, add milk, put loose lid on or just cover and voila kefir. Strain the grains out and start again

If your kitchen is that warm it would probably only take 24 hours at the most to turn the milk to kefir
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family