PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How can i clean a leather suite / sofa

Comments

• thetope
    thetope Posts: 897
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i use a microfibre cloth and some stardrops diluted with water in a spray gun... but that's what i use for cleaning just about everything!
  • TroysMum
    TroysMum Posts: 130 Forumite
    soap flakes diluted in warm water works a treat!

Life's way too short!
    :beer:
  • the best thing i have found after having 3 children with a leather sofa is baby wipes.

They moisturise the sofa so it does not go dry and crack ( some normal soaps etc will do this over time), they not half as expensive as proper leather wipes and i think they do a better job.

and you always tend to have baby wipes about if you have kids lol.

then once or twice a year i get a leather cream that i rub all over it when i do the spring clean

hth x
    Still Trying :o
    Grocery challenge July 2016
    £400/£000
  • Nomad25
    Nomad25 Posts: 1,995
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yep, I'll second baby wipes, they work a treat and very cost effective too - any big supermarket own brand will do.
  • i use baby wipes too
  • A few Lux soap flakes in warm water for a thorough clean and then wipe over with a dry cloth.
    If you just need to wipe small marks off use a damp cloth and then wipe with a dry cloth.
    Just a note: When I bought some microfibre cloths it specifically said "do not use on leather" - damages the finish apparently.
  • ClaireLR
    ClaireLR Posts: 1,712
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yes I heard that about microfibre cloths too.

When we came to clean ours recently, I used a plain old bar of soap but made sure I rinsed it well and dried it off well to. Then I bought a leather care set from ikea with a cleaner and leather cream in there, havent used the cleaner yet but i put the cream on after the soap and it came up lovely. Think it was £11 for the set but a little went a very long way
    Sometimes you have to go through
    the rain to get to the
    rainbow
  • There are some older threads you can take a look at:

Leather 3 piece suite

Best way to clean a leather sofa

HTH, Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,425
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Hi there sporticus.....

when i had a greyhound he was a thief too.... 2 kilo bags of porridge oats thrown around the living room, whole tubs of marge stolen, eaten and paddled into the carpet...they are bright creatures.... mine also mastered opening the oven door.... as i found out when i came in and found the roasting tin on the sofa - minus any trace of the whole chicken :eek: ..and him lay there looking very contented - if somewhat guilty...

A baby gate across the kitchen door would be a good idea, although i had to put one on top of the other as mine was a huge ex racer...and virtualy stepped over one :rotfl: ..and have you tried one of those balls that you put food in...they work to keep em occupied for a while...until he figures out that he can lie down and just rock it with his paw...minimum effort - maximum reward :rotfl:

Anyway enough rambling... i have the leather cleaning kit.that last ages, but for quick clear ups i always use a damp sponge and then a soft duster to make sure it is dried of well....

Have fun with the PUP... they are the most adorable breed aren't they:D

I am sure I must have had Mrs McCawber's dog's sister!
  • Please! Please! Please! never use baby wipes to clean your leather sofas. We have had our lovely chocolate brown leather sofa for 8 months and I was advised to use baby wipes and as my son is 9 months old (so the sofa is always filthy with little hands all over it) we always have plenty around the house. I have noticed that the colour is begining to come off onto them and also noticing it on the sofa itself. Any suggestions as to help me ensure I do not make my sofa worse and the best way to keep it clean would be great please! I may try the soap flakes or the stardrops in warm water please help as I waited so long to get my lovely sofa that I do want to keep it for a long time yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure