Printing on a wine cork

Options
So we have decided that for out wedding favours/favors we are going to use the corks that we have been collecting in a giant vase since we moved in together and make them in to keyrings, am then going to slide a simple place name (kindly hand written by my oh's uncle) in to the keyring part. To make it more keep sake I would like to print/stencil the date and our initials on the cork itself but not really sure how as its a curved surface, any one done something like this before?
4f0c4781-5cf0-44c0-9ee6-fe3d79d2cda4.jpg
Recently married and loving it x

Comments

• midnightraven3
    midnightraven3 Posts: 2,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    you would need to roll each cork onto a preinked stamp
    or you can use a pyropgraphy pen and write directly
  • nightsky224
    nightsky224 Posts: 901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    you would need to roll each cork onto a preinked stamp
    or you can use a pyropgraphy pen and write directly

Think the pyropgraphy might be a bit too complicated for me!!

Do you think that it would roll ok? Have you ordered personalised stamps before? no idea where to get them from.
  • tommyhaynes96
    Options
    Wow!! That's such an awesome idea. I love your concept of printing your initials on a wine cork. Thanks for sharing!!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You probably need to check/test that the ink is permanent too - as a wine cork is, presumably, in some part coated so it doesn't absorb/leak the wine. If it stops wine, then there's the chance it might not let ink stick easily.

You can get personalised rubber stamps on, but they aren't cheap; they aren't prohibitively expensive, but you do need a little sharp intake of breath the first time you see the price/
  • dizzytina
    dizzytina Posts: 777 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Love the idea its fab. I bet the pyrography option will actually be easier to do than you think once you get used to it.

You could print them on using a posca pen by hand or a sharpie pen but you would need to test them first. You could also try rub on transfers but they could work out very expensive i think .

Good luck and i'd love to see how you go on xx
    V 12500 B 8300 N 1900 Oct £51/£155
  • nightsky224
    Options
    oo I didn't think of that! I have bought an ink pad for my invites so might test it with that.
    You probably need to check/test that the ink is permanent too - as a wine cork is, presumably, in some part coated so it doesn't absorb/leak the wine. If it stops wine, then there's the chance it might not let ink stick easily.

You can get personalised rubber stamps on, but they aren't cheap; they aren't prohibitively expensive, but you do need a little sharp intake of breath the first time you see the price/
  • nightsky224
    Options
    There is atime and cost eliment to it too.
    I havve now bought all the slpit rings and screw eyes to make them (Paid a little more to get them in Brass) cost under £10 so am happy with that.
    If I am not able to print on them do you still tink it will be nice enough as a favour/place name?

dizzytina wrote: »
    Love the idea its fab. I bet the pyrography option will actually be easier to do than you think once you get used to it.

You could print them on using a posca pen by hand or a sharpie pen but you would need to test them first. You could also try rub on transfers but they could work out very expensive i think .

Good luck and i'd love to see how you go on xx
  • dizzytina
    dizzytina Posts: 777 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think it is a lovely idea and i would think posca pens would work on them fine and would be as quick to write your intitals on as stamping them on and relatively cheap too. The keyrings alone are very nice though you may have to explain where they have come from if you aren't personalising them as people may wonder why they have a cork keyring if they dont know they are yours you have collected and madeyourself xx
    V 12500 B 8300 N 1900 Oct £51/£155
  • lewisD70
    lewisD70 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Love this idea. I've found that Pinterest have loads of ideas when it comes to weddings, maybe there might a solution there..?
  • Tybae40
    Options
    There are several ways to do this. You can find a local vendor that produces copper dies and have them produce a copper plate for you. Ideally you would want to use a vector based program, like Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw, to produce the art. The size of the file should be around 45mm x 70mm, depending on the width of the cork (45mm is the standard length of a cork and 70mm is the average diameter of a cork). Producing these copper dies is relatively cheap. You can apply the ink by rolling the cork over the die. You can technically use any ink, but acrylic based is best, however it's pretty nasty stuff and only comes off with lacquer thinner. Afterwards, it's a good idea to spray the cork with a permanent fixative available at any local art store. It is not advised to use these corks to put into wine bottles unless they are treated, otherwise, you'll never get them out of the bottle. If you do put them into a bottle, do not apply the fixative. Instead let the cork sit upright for a few hours to let the ink dry and coat with a thin coating of lindseed oil.

I work for a wine cork producer, however we are geared toward commercial printing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure