hurt my eyes reading these Ts and Cs

Options
This is what gives us antique and collectable sellers a bad reputation, this is just part of the stuff that seller feels the need to shout out to potential buyers , all in very LARGE bold font. They also have another line saying that they start at 99p so that the item can find it's own level - and then when you look most items are priced at between £15-£70 BIN only!

MISC NOTES;
I am not an antiques dealer, I have no shop and am not an expert ,I describe all of my items carefully and am always accurate with my descriptions. I am an amateur enthusiast when it comes to antiques and I have some family knowledge of each piece,!but with this item and with!all my items please look at the photos carefully, ask questions , do your own research but above all else please decide for yourself on the items age and origin and material type.
AT THE END OF THE AUCTION, IF YOU WANT COMBINED POSTAGE...DO NOT PAY FOR YOUR ITEM UNTIL I SEND YOU A COMBINED INVOICE. IF YOU PAY SEPERATELY FOR EACH ITEM EBAY STOPS LINKING THEM AND I HAVE NOT GOT THE TIME TO TRAWL THROUGH 180 ITEMS TO SPOT COMBINED PURCHASES. IF YOU WAIT FOR A COMBINED INVOICE FROM ME WHICH MAY TAKE 2-3 DAYS DUE TO THE VOLUME OF ITEMS SOLD YOUR ITEMS WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY LINKED BY EBAY AND I CAN COMBINE POSTAGE.OTHERWISE PLEASE NOTE YOUR ITEMS MAY BE SENT INDIVIDUALLY AND NOT COMBINED.
!WILL ALL BIDDERS PLEASE MAKE SURE THEY READ SELLERS NOTES WHICH IS WHERE, IN LINE WITH EBAY POLICY, I DESCRIBE ACCURATELY THE ITEMS CONDITION.....IF YOU FAIL TO READ THIS THEN CAVEAT EMPTOR.
SHIPPING NOTES;
I will post or ship your item within!!15 working days (excluding weekends)!from the date of cleared payment. Most of the time you will have your item in plenty of time but if a lot of my items all sell at once it will take me longer to get them all out to you. FOR THIS PARTICULAR BATCH I HAVE A VERY HIGH NUMBER OF QUALITY ITEMS ALL BEING SOLD AT ONCE, 180 IN TOTAL, I AM THEREFORE GOING TO NEED THE FULL 15 DAYS TO POST YOUR ITEM SO PLEASE BEAR WITH.!
I place all items in order of who pays first to determine which gets posted first. Multiple purchases are always sent first as a priority. This does not mean that you will get your item within!15 days, you!probably will,!but that I have up until the 15th working (excluding weekends)!day to dispatch. Please do not email me during this period fretting that you have not received your item, I've simply not sent it out yet. Email me in advance if you have special requirements, I cant promise anything but I will do what I can . These are my terms of business (for me as an individual seller ), listed here, clear for all to see ,before bidding, and as part of my conditions of business.!
My Postal/Shipping prices will almost always be higher than average and that is simply because it matters to me that your item turns up; turns up in one piece; and that the things my family have amassed over the years are not broken or lost. I will only post by recorded delivery. If an item is too big I will use Parcelforce. I invariable use brand new postal boxes, bubble wrap and newspaper. They cost money and this will be passed on to you via the postal price. I am flexible over personal collection, a mutually convenient meeting point close to where I live can almost always be arranged. I will ship abroad for most items except the heavy ones, but again the service I use will only be Royal Mail International tracked and signed, so If you are from outside the UK,!email me for a shipping quote!PRIOR TO BIDDING. I will combine postage on multiple purchases.
PAYMENT DETAILS;
As listed below, but from auction end you have!3!DAYS!!!to pay!CLEARED FUNDS or email me with your reasons why not. If you haven't paid I may second chance offer the item to the next higher bidder!
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 August 2017 at 8:39PM
    Options
    Nothing makes me want to buy from someone more than lots of "the item may not get to you in time" and "I may not be able to do this by x"!! It fills me with confidence!

I also hate sellers who whinge about how much work they have to do on their auction page. It has nothing to do with me! If you are overwhelmed stop listing new items until you have cleared the backlog.
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Love the 'I invariable use brand new postal boxes, bubble wrap and newspaper.'

Why? and do they buy newspapers just to use as 'brand new' packing?
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    This put me off buying from a seller:
    "I ALWAYS PACK THEM CAREFULLY IN LIGHTWEIGHT STRONG BOXES
    BUT UNFORTUNATLY SOME SHIPPING WORKERS DON'T
    THEY TREAT THEM LIKE FOOTBALLS.
    SO I NOW HAVE TO ADVISE THAT PICK- UP IS THE BEST OPTION
    CERAMICS AND GLASS CANNOT BE INSURED AGAINST DAMAGE SO SHIPPING WOULD BE AT YOUR RISK AND I WOULD REQUIRE A CONFORMATION EMAIL STATING THAT BEFORE SHIPPING....."
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    luxor4t wrote: »
    CERAMICS AND GLASS CANNOT BE INSURED AGAINST DAMAGE SO SHIPPING WOULD BE AT YOUR RISK AND I WOULD REQUIRE A CONFORMATION EMAIL STATING THAT BEFORE SHIPPING....."

I know it's all nonsense but I just couldn't be bothered to deal with a seller like that - yet they have fairly good feedback at 99.3% . I can't believe though that anyone can get away with a 3 week dispatch time nowadays- yet their Dispatch star is still 4.8 so holding on regardless.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    luxor4t wrote: »
    I read it as "I use any old box and stick a bit of tape on, then I find the cheapest courier I can find and hope that they pick it up when I leave it outside."

There's no sense in writing these terms, they're pointless anyway, no one who would be affected by them reads them and they undoubtedly lose sales.
    People tend to like to buy from nice people. That said I did used to go to an auction house where the auctioneer was rude to everyone he somehow got away with it and people seemed to quite like it.
  • ballisticbrian
    Options
    I would not buy from these sellers! They do not have enough information in the terms and conditions about whether it's a nut free home or not. How outrageous! ;)http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-beka-Of-Places-Literature-textbook-and-Teacher-Key-8-grade-/263143246263?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Apart from providing amusement to everyone here, if these ridiculous t&cs put people off bidding there is the potential to buy something at a lower price than normal.

I bet this seller is getting quite excited at the number of views some of his items are getting!
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sounds to me like that seller has got so fed up with idiot buyers that they have decided to forestall as many complaints as they can think of. Unfortunately, idiot buyers won't read all that lot and reasonable ones will be put off. I certainly wouldn't be happy with "Pay me in 3 days or I'll move on but then I'll send out in anything up to 3 weeks" unless it was a rare item I really wanted/needed.
    The combining invoices is a valid point - that can get complicated and it worth reminding the buyer to be co-operative to get the discount.
    The thing that puzzles me is that they are not a dealer but have 180 items to sell in a short period of time and family knowledge of them? I suppose they could be in need of the money so selling off a personal collection (or an inherited one).
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Whilst I agree that some of his terms are just plain wrong I see nothing wrong in being honest about the despatch times.

I think Ebay is far to dictator like on sellers and dispatch times, whilst it's great as a buyer to get my item quickly I can still look at a sellers despatch times and determine if I want to buy from them or not, if I want it bad enough then at least I am forewarned.

What pees me off more is thinking I'm getting an item in 3 days and it takes a week which does happen, at least he is being honest and saying this could take a while to come.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure