PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New build - poor tile choice

I have reserved a new Barratt home and have just had my meeting to choose the extras.

The bathroom as standard only comes with tiles to splashbacks, bath and shower enclosures. I had option to upgrade this to half height or full height tiling for additional cost.

The tiling range for the bathrooms is limited and I couldn't see anything I liked so I made the decision not to upgrade. I just selected a basic white tile for the standard build.

I have found nicer tiles elsewhere and I feel it is a complete waste of time and materials for the builder to install the basic white tile as they'll only be coming straight off when I replace with my choice once I move in. I also worry that I could damage the walls having to scrape the tiles back off - I'm guessing that won't be an easy job, especially as the shower enclosure will be sealed onto the 'temporary' tiles.

Does anyone know if the builder would fit my choice of tile as part of the build if I supply the materials?

I plan to email the developer tomorrow to ask but just wondered if anyone had experience of this?

Comments

• lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    There's one way to find out, but it's unlikely.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    IIRC there's been a very similar thread recently.

The completion certificate required the tiling to be completed to a minimum standard, so you won't get the place without any tiles.
    The builder is unlikely to use your choice of tiles for liability reasons - but it's worth asking.
    The builder is unlikely to let your tiler onto site, again for liability reasons - but it's worth asking.

Any half-competent tiler will be able to remove their tiles and make good around the other fittings without breaking into any sweat at all.
  • swishy87
    swishy87 Posts: 199 Forumite
    We don't like the tiles we get in our new build and plan to redo them. My oh seems to think they will pop off pretty easy!
  • AdrianC wrote: »
    The completion certificate required the tiling to be completed to a minimum standard, so you won't get the place without any tiles.
    The builder is unlikely to use your choice of tiles for liability reasons - but it's worth asking.

Damn... I can only ask but I'm not confident as per your explanation above.
    Any half-competent tiler will be able to remove their tiles and make good around the other fittings without breaking into any sweat at all.

Thanks. I'll need to be clear about the amount of work involved upfront when requesting quotes as they'll need to remove tiles and shower enclosure before the new tiles can go on.
  • swishy87 wrote: »
    We don't like the tiles we get in our new build and plan to redo them. My oh seems to think they will pop off pretty easy!

I was going to ask the site manager if he could ask the tiler to go spare on the adhesive! At least make it a little bit easier for me to scrape them off.
  • I think you'll be wasting your time. The tiler will have to be sure they'll stay on the wall, doing otherwise could mean unpleasant come back for him - what if you decided to not tile the walls immediately but six months later and then complained about tiles falling off the wall? Customers do change their minds and he'll have no control over that.

They will only use a fairly thin scraping of adhesive.., he's not going to be using more than he has to (adhesive costs money lol) so shouldn't be too hard to scrape off the walls. Check out some YouTube videos for technique (don't smash them off with a hammer lol).
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Years ago we had the same problem but were very lucky that the builder said we could have the tiles of our choice and have the kitchen and bathrooms fully tiled if we paid the extra. They were a smaller builder though.
  • CM66
    CM66 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Its worth asking, i bought a new build and paid the tiler extra to fully tile the bathroom and to tile the floor (i supplied the additional tiles)

The site manager was fine with it as well.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure